How successful would you be as a beggar?

The way I see it there’s a few game plans:-
  • Aggressive bastard type - might work in big cities but probably not a good game plan and likely to get beaten up somewhere down the line
  • Ashamed head down type - may work well in smaller town scenarios but mebbes not enough footfall to turn out a living
  • Considerable down on their luck type - Would work well in most one on one scenarios I reckon. Come up with a good back story and you could be on to a winner.
  • Handwritten sob story type - never did it for me personally, but obviously has it’s appeal factor.
I reckon I’d be a shit beggar, probably down in the hostel once a week on a good week scale.

What tips could the SMB chip in or are all beggars scratters not to be entertained?

The last one i got asking for change was hanging round train station looking lost. She caught my attention me thinking was looking for directions, then bam tried to guilt trip me into giving money. Never got owt, dont carry much change these days anyway.

The way I see it there’s a few game plans:-
  • Aggressive bastard type - might work in big cities but probably not a good game plan and likely to get beaten up somewhere down the line
  • Ashamed head down type - may work well in smaller town scenarios but mebbes not enough footfall to turn out a living
  • Considerable down on their luck type - Would work well in most one on one scenarios I reckon. Come up with a good back story and you could be on to a winner.
  • Handwritten sob story type - never did it for me personally, but obviously has it’s appeal factor.
I reckon I’d be a shit beggar, probably down in the hostel once a week on a good week scale.

What tips could the SMB chip in or are all beggars scratters not to be entertained?
I wouldn't be very good at it
Logon or register to see this image

Made over a tenner in about 5 minutes in Liverpool one night.

Got chatting to this fella outside Tesco and watched his bags while he went in the shop, thought I'd chance me arm and did way better than him.

Passed on the proceeds but not sure I like being such a convincing beggar.

The homeless in New York were some of the poiltest people I’ve ever met in my life, I felt f***ing awful for some of them.
American homeless are a breed apart in my experience. They tend to be very eloquent and have a story to tell. Usually tend to be just genuinely down on their luck.

Makes you wonder if there were some kind of safety net for them, but US culture always seems to favour the haves rather than the have-nots.

One night I was pissed In Newcastle lost my bank card and was sixty pence short to jump on the train back home a beggar asked me for a pound so I asked him for sixty pence he obliged and I rode the train home beaming proper made me day
Went trawling Hollywood Blvd one night for a late night snack. Homeless man asked us for some change which neither of us provided but we ended up talking with the guy for about 10 minutes. As we were leaving he insisted we take some of his weed. Shittest weed ever but interesting evening.

Went trawling Hollywood Blvd one night for a late night snack. Homeless man asked us for some change which neither of us provided but we ended up talking with the guy for about 10 minutes. As we were leaving he insisted we take some of his weed. Shittest weed ever but interesting evening.

Haha I love the “which none of us provided” bit . Did you pay for the weed?

American homeless are a breed apart in my experience. They tend to be very eloquent and have a story to tell. Usually tend to be just genuinely down on their luck.

Makes you wonder if there were some kind of safety net for them, but US culture always seems to favour the haves rather than the have-nots.
My dad and mom used to take me and my sister to feed the homeless every Thanksgiving and some of the homeless were the kindest and nicest people ever. I remember my sister used to go home crying her eyes out. She is now a professor at one of the local universities and teaches sociology, she is also a staff member at one of the local nonprofits that work to help out the homeless. It is a huge problem here in Los Angeles and surrounding cities. My wife and I do what we can, but you always feel like it's never enough.

Nope. Couldn't go back on the story of "I have no change, sorry".
Honestly, they already know that "sorry, I don't have change" is a lie and they don't care if you change your story and give them something.

One time my cousin came home fuming because he said that he gave money to a homeless man only to see him a few days later at a liquor store buying alcohol. My comment to him was, "So what? You do your part and you help out. What they do with it, is on them. Not everyone is going to be honest about their need, but that shouldn't stop you from helping"

Last edited by a moderator:

Back