How strange is memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR

Striker
Had a couple of really odd memories lately.

Just now, whilst working on some fairly dull excel spreadsheets, I remembered a smell, and the smell was of a sports store in Orlando where I bought a tennis racquet in 1995.
It was a split second memory, but its so utterly bizarre.

Last week, I had a tune in my head - and sometimes one tune can turn into another where there is a similarity at a certain part - and all of a sudden I had a very very old tune in my head, and then an image popped up in my head of a ballerina figurine. I called my mam later that day, and as I suspected, it was a German music box that my great nanna used to let me play with when I was about 5 years old - 30+years ago.
The song was by Marlene Dietrich - so literally no chance that I'd "just heard it earlier in the day" :lol:

Had a couple of really odd memories lately.

Just now, whilst working on some fairly dull excel spreadsheets, I remembered a smell, and the smell was of a sports store in Orlando where I bought a tennis racquet in 1995.
It was a split second memory, but its so utterly bizarre.

Last week, I had a tune in my head - and sometimes one tune can turn into another where there is a similarity at a certain part - and all of a sudden I had a very very old tune in my head, and then an image popped up in my head of a ballerina figurine. I called my mam later that day, and as I suspected, it was a German music box that my great nanna used to let me play with when I was about 5 years old - 30+years ago.
The song was by Marlene Dietrich - so literally no chance that I'd "just heard it earlier in the day" :lol:

I've always had an image of an old brown teapot in my head, on free-standing shelves like in a shop or something.
Finally got around to asking my Ma about it and apparently it was my Grandparents' shop and I would have been three. :lol:

Reactions: PTR
Smells always bring back memories for me. I always get really strong images of summer and rolling green fields when I get certain scents but don't know if I've experienced them or if they are totally fictitious. :lol:

Smells always bring back memories for me. I always get really strong images of summer and rolling green fields when I get certain scents but don't know if I've experienced them or if they are totally fictitious. :lol:
There's a certain combination of wood polish and perfume that takes me screaming back to Barnes Infants School.:lol:

Reactions: PTR
The thing is, there's no way I just smelled the same shop in America. I'm in a bog-standard office. The shop had a really distinct smell - probably plastics from all the sports gear in a recirculating air con environment. Its really odd, I remembered the smell, rather than smelled it!

I'm 40 now and was at jersey and Guernsey when I was about 2 and a half, I can still remember the smell of the underground hospital and it just comes to me every now and again.

Loads of memories from that holiday, remember my evil knievil bike in the hotel room, getting my head stuck in some railings and a laughing bag my mam couldn't turn off on a cable car :lol:

Music is the biggest trigger of memories for me. Love it when you hear a song for the first time in years and it takes you back.
Absolutely, happens all the time. Some songs are linked in my head to very specific things. Especially things that I loved.
Like the music that was on around the time champ manager first came out. And the songs on the jukebox in Peterlee youth club when I used to there around 1990.

Absolutely, happens all the time. Some songs are linked in my head to very specific things. Especially things that I loved.
Like the music that was on around the time champ manager first came out. And the songs on the jukebox in Peterlee youth club when I used to there around 1990.

Aye, there's quite a few songs that remind me of certain lasses I was seeing at the time or those when I first started going out drinking. Then there is the ones from being a kid. Some are linked as you say to specific events or days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back