How Resiliant Are You?

I am. When you have dependents you have to be. We have all stared into the abyss. I am not a believer in a problem shared is a problem halved it is a problem doubled as I then would think about the burden I have put on friends/family. I internalize everything which is probably not good but I could not bear to see my loved ones worrying about my issues. I exercise to get rid of the demons.

I am. When you have dependents you have to be. We have all stared into the abyss. I am not a believer in a problem shared is a problem halved it is a problem doubled as I then would think about the burden I have put on friends/family. I internalize everything which is probably not good but I could not bear to see my loved ones worrying about my issues. I exercise to get rid of the demons.
I must admit that I don't like to burden others - either a strength or a weakness depending on your perception.

I must admit that I don't like to burden others - either a strength or a weakness depending on your perception.

Indeed, I do not view anyone who can share as weak I see them as strong, I just can't. Last night I sat alone as the wife is away listening to all my old songs and remembering when life was simple. I sometimes wish my horizons had not been too far way.

I always think it's one of the most important attributes as we live in a pretty stressful World, you only need to look at the levels of mental health issues and suicide to see that life throws some shit at you.

Personal life, family, health, work, finances... etc...

I think people become a lot more resiliant the more they deal with as everything then starts to be put in perspective. Would you class yourself as a resiliant individual?

You probably need to go rock bottom to be a topper resilantist.

I have done, I'm a stubborn bitch xx

We know :)

Last edited:
Don't know. Had a moment in my time when I thought 'ok, this is when I die' So I closed my eyes and let it happen. I thought I was having a stroke (fuck off) at the time. Could not speak as mouth had gone left, arms and legs did not work anymore. Could not shout for help as mouth did not work. So, I hoped that I would die and not be a burden to others.

So, two and a half years on...

A bad day can be put into context. It gives me a grounding when I feel like a whinge.

I appreciate and see life a bit different now.

I always think it's one of the most important attributes as we live in a pretty stressful World, you only need to look at the levels of mental health issues and suicide to see that life throws some shit at you.

Personal life, family, health, work, finances... etc...

I think people become a lot more resiliant the more they deal with as everything then starts to be put in perspective. Would you class yourself as a resiliant individual?
I'm too resilient. Scarily so. I think I just might be a pragmatic, unfeeling automaton, but with a smear of optimist.

Last edited:
Would reply but I typed it all up and lost it, so now I can't be arsed.
That is why I beat you at chess marra.

I recommend Chess as a mental exercise its like football.

I tried to beat Ross the ninja at Chess about 40 times and lost every time he is like a grand master at Chess. I did some Tai Chi and knew I couldn't lose so I shared the game as far as I could as I knew I would win this game.

This post is based on a true story.

Rapid Chess • niceonemarra vs RossTheNinja
^only works in google chrome^

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely everything niggles away at me an d I wake up in the night worrying like fuck about the smallest things. Like now. Thankfully I can put that to the back of my mind and get in with the important shit like family and job.

Absolutely everything niggles away at me an d I wake up in the night worrying like fuck about the smallest things. Like now. Thankfully I can put that to the back of my mind and get in with the important shit like family and job.
I know what you mean marra, need to sort problems out to get a good nights sleep. Tai Chi really helps to wash away things out of our control and focus your mind on the things you can sleep on.

I highly recommend learning Tai Chi marra I'm sure you will be amazed with the result, I only have to do it for a few minutes now and it recharges my batteries just as good as sleep. I've been practising it for about 15 years, I'm still crap at it but that doesn't matter.
So here's a suggestion then, you can try it and report back.

Next time you get wound up on here and your instant thought is to start hammering away at the keyboard threatening to rip someone's arms off, stop, pause, take a deep breath, toddle off and do your tai chi, then come back on and let's know if it's helped calm you down any.

So here's a suggestion then, you can try it and report back.

Next time you get wound up on here and your instant thought is to start hammering away at the keyboard threatening to rip someone's arms off, stop, pause, take a deep breath, toddle off and do your tai chi, then come back on and let's know if it's helped calm you down any.
Ripping arms off is a quote from the father ted series marra. I struggle to rip the foil off the top a new jar of coffee in real life marra.

Don't know. Had a moment in my time when I thought 'ok, this is when I die' So I closed my eyes and let it happen. I thought I was having a stroke (fuck off) at the time. So, I hoped that I would die and not be a burden to others.

So, two and a half years on...

A bad day can be put into context. It gives me a grounding when I feel like a whinge.

I appreciate and see life a bit different now.
Same thing happened to me.
I couldn't speak, and couldn't move my arms, and was totally confused.
The more I tried to move my arms, without success, and the more I tried to speak and no words came out, the more confused and agitated I became.
It's a horrible thing to experience, though I appreciate there's far worse illnesses that people have gone through, than just a mini stroke, which is what I suffered.

Most of our behaviours can be managed and controlled once we know how to.
Resilience is no different. Easy in a few words but really difficult to know how.
Knowing your own personality is a big step forward and then having and finding the tools to cope is another.
Everything revolves around controlling that brain.

Back