How old were you when you bought your first pint....

12 (one week before my thirteenth). Mind you, it was only a half.

My parents had previously bought me one in a pub in Tarbet on the island of Jura when they discovered that the only non-alcoholic drinks on offer to go with the meal was fizzy pop.

Last edited:

20 when I first started drinking pints! And a friend and I were chucked out of a pub (the one that used to be opposite Newcastle Library?) for apparently not being old enough. I was a duffel coat wearing student.

However I was probably buying halves when I was 16 and wearing a lot of make up. :)

15 at the marsden inn. . Borrowed the driving license of @Onlyfoolsrushin as my ID and had a pint of McEwans best scotch whilst taking an afternoon off school..and playing space invaders. ...wearing a Levi jacket over my white school shirt quietly shitting myself in case we were rumbled

Never tried that. Used to do depth charges where you drop in a shot of vodka and down it.

I'd probably die if I drank like that today.

I remember my mates 18th and we found a nightclub in hartlepool where it was £1 a drink....must of gone through copious amounts of aftershock and baileys and alcopops

Anyway the hangover and vomiting caused me to lose my voice for 3 days plus the shakes and had to get rid of my bedding and bedroom carpet because the sick was that bad

I don't think I'd recover today

15 - cherry brandy & snowball £1.20 fifth avenue. Joking like.

15 - Mountain Daisy ( half & half), mcewans scotch & exhibition, 1986 world cup, 75p!

16 at a supermarket (may have been a co-op?). Was a crate of Magners (can’t stand the stuff now). The occasion it was bought for was like something out of a shite Yank teen movie. Lad had a free house (he said his folks had let him have people round, clearly not!) and my entire school year ended up there. Carnage unfurled with a house full of 40+ smashed 16 year olds. One lad was caught shagging the local nutcase’s lass on the host’s mam’s bed and he barged in and kicked the hell out of him, another lad jumped from an upstairs window on to a trampoline (he missed), somebody surfed a bedroom door down the stairs and to top it off the police showed up. One of them slipped in the living room as we were escaping because of the film of booze covering the laminate floor. With the night prematurely over I wandered back to mine, walked in pissed as a newt said goodnight to Mam and dad “undetected”. Next morning my Mam blared music into my room knowing I was hungover as hell! I’ll never forget that night, f***ing class.

A few days before my 16th Birthday in The Cross Keys, Hamsterley.
Mates uncle bought the first round and said if we wanted another we’d have to go ourselves, after 15 minutes sitting with dregs I plucked up the courage and went to the bar only to bottle it completely and ask for a pint of orange.
“I thought you were on the lager, are you driving like?” the barman said.
I said “Fuck it, give me a pint of lager”
He just smiled and pulled me one.

I knew he was taking the piss but a pints a pint.

14 Farmer's Rest Newcastle. Asked for two pints of Brown Ale and got the response "are bottles alright", to much amusement of the blokes sat around the bar. Still got served though, they didn't give a fuck

It was like the Wild West in that place at times!

Mine was 17 and either The Salutation in Durham (where I got my first proper kiss too so that was quite a night for firsts) or The Black Horse in Chester-le-Street (where I pulled the lovely young lady glass collector much to the amazement and upset of my mates - but she dumped me 3 years later on when she went to university) after playing footy - can't remember which evening was first.

We used to go in the Black Horse after footy still wearing footy tops. Once ten of us walked in wearing 10 different teams' tops. Mine was Sunderland obviously, there was a mag, and a whole load of other teams including Forest, Man Utd and Norwich. I think somebody even had a Cadiz top but I've no idea why. The barmaid said "Can you twats not agree on nowt man?"

The pint cost 95p. Change from a pound note. Lucky to get change from a fiver now.

15 at the Pemberton Arms (sp), now called the Blue House between Shotton and Haswell. Back then it was a really quiet pub so it was easy for us to get served. Now it's the only pub left 'in' Shotton apart the Comrades Club.

Bought or drank? You have to be 21 to purchase alcohol here, so I was 21 when I bought my first beer. I was 15 when I drank alcohol for the first time. Same day I tried weed for the first time, too.

I used to work as a sort of ‘warden’ for undergraduate halls of residence (student digs) when I was a post grad and the first person I ever had to restrain due to them being absolutely fucked and trying to attack another student was an American exchange student. It is fun when they come over here and their alcohol tolerance is extremely low :lol:

The end of the story is that the ‘5-0’ came and arrested him on suspicion of actual bodily harm.

15, in Splitz (Roker Hotel), “Pint of beer please”

I used to work as a sort of ‘warden’ for undergraduate halls of residence (student digs) when I was a post grad and the first person I ever had to restrain due to them being absolutely fucked and trying to attack another student was an American exchange student. It is fun when they come over here and their alcohol tolerance is extremely low :lol:

The end of the story is that the ‘5-0’ came and arrested him on suspicion of actual bodily harm.
I lived with a student from the Isle of Wight who was exactly the same. Freshers week 1st night out I drank 8 bottles of brown ale out of the bottle (glasses were for puffs) to prove my north east drinking credentials. The other lad had 4 pints and had to be literally carried home. Turned out they all did drugs as kids and didn’t drink.

Last edited:

Back