How much per month do you need to live?

Surely the stage of life you're at will have a big impact. 50+ and there's a fair chance your housing costs will be minimal if you're a home owner.

Now all the kids have nashed off that's another big overhead gone.
My mortgage is all but paid off (£52 a month) so when I went to writing full time, I knew I could survive on next to nowt.
Nobody wants to just 'survive' but if you are doing something you enjoy, it's surprising how little you can live on.

My mortgage is all but paid off (£52 a month) so when I went to writing full time, I knew I could survive on next to nowt.
Nobody wants to just 'survive' but if you are doing something you enjoy, it's surprising how little you can live on.
If I had to cut down I could live on next to nothing.
Council Tax at £2000 would be biggest expense.
If I never bought another book I still would have something to read until I die and I pick them up for next to nothing at charity shops 😀
I have enough clothes to last what time I have left and add a few bits each year.
I could easily do without a car
Internet £40
Food. Lentils and beans don’t cost much😀
So luckily I can spend the rest on enjoying myself.

I get paid £300 a week and as a single dad I struggle on but can just about pay the bills. I couldn’t imagine being paid 400-500 a week, id feel like a king. I know all that is a pittance to most people but it’s how I’ve lived and been paid for 25yrs now and I’m happy, I’ll never be a high roller.
You should look into claiming universal credit, you might be entitled to it if you only earn £300pw and look after a child.
Place to stay - Nowt
Electric & Gas - £130
Water - £30
Internet - £20
Food - £800
Travel (car/bus fare) - £100

Last edited:
You should look into claiming universal credit, you might be entitled to it if you only earn £300pw and look after a child.
Place to stay - Nowt
Electric & Gas - £130
Water - £30
Internet - £20
Food - £800
Travel (car/bus fare) - £100
Probably has the lad at weekends and the mother will be the one that could claim, he will most likely have to pay maintenance.

I get paid £300 a week and as a single dad I struggle on but can just about pay the bills. I couldn’t imagine being paid 400-500 a week, id feel like a king. I know all that is a pittance to most people but it’s how I’ve lived and been paid for 25yrs now and I’m happy, I’ll never be a high roller.
Most people are in the same boat mate despite what you read on here and other social media. Family and love is still the most prized possession of all and never forget that.

I reckon £1,400 a month.
That would be everything in moderation consisting of normal house rent and council tax, water, gas/eleccy and food plus car insurance and petrol, tax and upkeep. As well as internet and phone and all the other tid bits.

That would be basic living without anything left over for what would be deemed as a luxury.

In my head I'll work it out which may not be accurate.

Car cost to run each week would be thus and what I class as basics and essentials....ish..
£20 petrol. £80
£8 car insurance. £32
£6 Car tax £24
£10 upkeep. £40
£110 House rent and council tax. £440
£20 Gas £80
£30 Eleccy £120
£10 Water £40
£100 food/cleaning/toiletries...etc. £400
£10 phone (wife) ....£40
£5 stray cats.....£20
£5 bird food.....£20

Just to live basically this would amount to £334 a week or £1332 a month (not calendar)

Anything I've missed out could be classed as a sort of luxury including football matches/takeaways/ holiday...etc.
Tid bits.
Welcome to America dude.

I was gonna say….and that’s just me. It’s a terrible time of year for people struggling, to have read these stupid articles that will be surfacing. That lass who buys the most presents in the northeast will be surfacing soon.
This year is going to be particularly bad for so many people. Job losses and reduced income through the last 18 months. Domestic fuel and petrol prices rocketing. Mortgage rates probably going to go up. Prices in shops going up. Pressures and costs of Christmas and at a time when it is dark and cold in the mornings and evenings.

I reckon £1,400 a month.
That would be everything in moderation consisting of normal house rent and council tax, water, gas/eleccy and food plus car insurance and petrol, tax and upkeep. As well as internet and phone and all the other tid bits.

That would be basic living without anything left over for what would be deemed as a luxury.

In my head I'll work it out which may not be accurate.

Car cost to run each week would be thus and what I class as basics and essentials....ish..
£20 petrol. £80
£8 car insurance. £32
£6 Car tax £24
£10 upkeep. £40
£110 House rent and council tax. £440
£20 Gas £80
£30 Eleccy £120
£10 Water £40
£100 food/cleaning/toiletries...etc. £400
£10 phone (wife) ....£40
£5 stray cats.....£20
£5 bird food.....£20

Just to live basically this would amount to £334 a week or £1332 a month (not calendar)

Anything I've missed out could be classed as a sort of luxury including football matches/takeaways/ holiday...etc.
I'd go with all that . Fortunately I don't have a mortgage or do cats and birds

This year is going to be particularly bad for so many people. Job losses and reduced income through the last 18 months. Domestic fuel and petrol prices rocketing. Mortgage rates probably going to go up. Prices in shops going up. Pressures and costs of Christmas and at a time when it is dark and cold in the mornings and evenings.
Exactly, a lot of countries especially in the Eu seem to be going through covid spikes too on top of all the above. My heart goes out to them.

Car insurance for a 50yo with lots of NCD is peanuts compared to a 19yo who's just passed their test.
I remember my first car was £150 to buy but the insurance was £3000 at 18 year old. Not my proudest moment but I may have just paid the first £250 and got my certificate and then forgot to pay the rest, same plan for 3 years. Saved myself a fair whack of money. Finally got caught after the 3 years and got a £250 fine.

I wouldn’t dream of going without any insurance now, I’m over cautious, home insurance car, health, pet, the lot
A lad a worked with just moved jobs to something he loves. It’s about a 40% pay cut but even after 4 months he’s happier than ever

Last edited:

Back