How much per month do you need to live?

Already seen it, its going to be awful.
OR
I just lie and book everything separate, and get a room for 4. 3 small kids can share a large double bed, you'd think?

Probably better of just looking at villas abroad & cottages if UK rather than hotel rooms

3 kids makes thing SO much more expensive.
Went to B&Bs cafe at Dalton park last weekend. Drink, sandwich and cake (the twins shared, so not even 5 items of each) came to about £35! For a quick bite at a coffee shop.
Starting to notice twin costs as they get older. It's an instant double whammy on everything. Can stagger stuff a bit for their elder sister.

Is that where Birds of a feather was set?

Nah, closer to People Just Do Nothing tbf :lol:

See a fair bit of filming round the area by big production companies mind. Ealing studios isn't far.

Pretty sure the Apprentice board room scenes are actually filmed in some warehouse in Park Royal

Last edited by a moderator:
A relatively normal life?

Place to stay -
Electric -
Gas -
Water -
Internet -
Food -
Travel (car/bus fare) -

Is there anything I have missed?
I don't just mean to survive, I mean to live a basic but normal life
I'm not one for really budgeting, but I became aware of just how much we spend each month on the basics recently

Place to stay - Mortgage £1000, Council Tax £210
Electric & Gas - £105
Water - £40
Internet & Mobiles (sim only) - £45
Car tax and insurance - £80
Childcare - £600

That's £2050 gone before we choose to spend anything. That requires a salary of £31,000 to cover just that part.
Then there's all the actual spending, like food, fuel, clothes, maintenance, entertainment etc on top.

Its really made me think about how big my rainy day fund actually needs to be.
Free childcare at 3 will make a huge difference mind. That comes in September.
Unless you leave it in agyan

Last edited:
I get paid £300 a week and as a single dad I struggle on but can just about pay the bills. I couldn’t imagine being paid 400-500 a week, id feel like a king. I know all that is a pittance to most people but it’s how I’ve lived and been paid for 25yrs now and I’m happy, I’ll never be a high roller.

Stop making silly bets with people then daft arse.

Stop making silly bets with people then daft arse.
I’m really bored of the whole bet / scotch egg crack but I only made the bet for a bit of fun and seen as tho I’d bought them I knew 100% certain I’d won it. I don’t care what you think of me, what you called me, how many of your mates teamed up with you. The fact is Bradley’s foundation got a bit money out of it and that’s fine by me.

I’m really bored of the whole bet / scotch egg crack but I only made the bet for a bit of fun and seen as tho I’d bought them I knew 100% certain I’d won it. I don’t care what you think of me, what you called me, how many of your mates teamed up with you. The fact is Bradley’s foundation got a bit money out of it and that’s fine by me.

Won what man? You didn't win the bet.

My point was that you're posting about being skint.

And I don't have any mates on here.

I’m lucky I’ve got a good job but with the arrival of #2 in February we’ve had to tighten the purse strings and cut down on luxuries. We were expecting this with her on maternity (no pay) and the nursery fees but things will start to pick up next year

Not employed you mean? Cos your lass will still be entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance.

Place to stay - Mortgage £1000

You must be seriously overpaying surely?
Wait until you try and get a holiday for 5
evrything is geared to a family of 4

It makes Disney a hell of a lot more expensive, that's for sure.
Not employed you mean? Cos your lass will still be entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance.

You only get maternity allowance if you meet the criteria.

I only caught the back end of the scotch egg thing, but he's really going on and on a bit now. :)

Last edited:
You must be seriously overpaying surely?

It makes Disney a hell of a lot more expensive, that's for sure.
When we moved here 4 years back, we didn't extend the term. Its paid off in 9 years I think.
So not quite overpaying, but it could be less, sure. Mortgage clear by 50 is the plan. Need to start pushing a lot more to the pension though, otherwise I'll be working forever. That 6%/12% every month adds up to SFA.

When we moved here 4 years back, we didn't extend the term. Its paid off in 9 years I think.
So not quite overpaying, but it could be less, sure. Mortgage clear by 50 is the plan. Need to start pushing a lot more to the pension though, otherwise I'll be working forever. That 6%/12% every month adds up to SFA.
Ah, that makes sense then.
They're not like. Every day's a competition to see who can win at being the poorest or spend the least money. It's weird as owt.
Probably a bit of both tbf.

Back