How much per month do you need to live?

Oxfam in The Bridges? ;)

I agree like, it's proper harsh on kids to see their friends and peers being able to go on school trips abroad. Most families would love their kids to go but 4 grand is mental. There's no way I could find that amount.

I'm trying to save as much as I possibly can in case my two make it to (and want to go to) university. Elder lad is just turned 12 but that's still not long to try to find that amount of coin.

Sue Ryder, Oxfam in Sunderland has closed down ;)

I read up on the company that provided these overseas volunteering trips. The difference between what they charged the school and what the school charged the pupil was massive. School would have been making a canny bit.

I'm not one for really budgeting, but I became aware of just how much we spend each month on the basics recently

Place to stay - Mortgage £1000, Council Tax £210
Electric & Gas - £105
Water - £40
Internet & Mobiles (sim only) - £45
Car tax and insurance - £80
Childcare - £600

That's £2050 gone before we choose to spend anything. That requires a salary of £31,000 to cover just that part.
Then there's all the actual spending, like food, fuel, clothes, maintenance, entertainment etc on top.

Its really made me think about how big my rainy day fund actually needs to be.
Free childcare at 3 will make a huge difference mind. That comes in September.

Thats a whack for the house. Renting or mortgage?

Just renting. I've lived in a few cities over the past few years and I'm not committed enough to staying in London to bother buying. Looking to buy somewhere in the north east outright over the next few years though, just to have somewhere for when/if I want to move back.
Well someone's doing well for themselves.

Got natural light in me bedroom and everything!

Last edited by a moderator:
3 kids makes thing SO much more expensive.
Went to B&Bs cafe at Dalton park last weekend. Drink, sandwich and cake (the twins shared, so not even 5 items of each) came to about £35! For a quick bite at a coffee shop.

Me ma went in a Costa in the summer with a friend. A cuppa tea and some frothy coffee thing came to nearly £9. She still moans about it now.

I know what you're saying and having a bit extra after all the bills are paid is a probably a reasonable baseline for being able to live a happy life. However, it's hard to get away from the fact that, to some degree, money can buy you happiness. I think for most of us it's finding that balance between the pursuit of wealth to be able to afford holidays, hobbies, etc. that add to our happiness and not making ourselves unhappy in the process of doing that.
The security of a few thousand in the bank takes any stress out of life. I have a nice house but it is far too big for two of us but I like the location. We have one small older car because they have never interested me. The bairn pays for herself.

I have some great friends, lots of great books to read, go to loads of gigs and festivals and keep myself fit.

Going away tomorrow to Canaries for three days with a couple of great friends and will have a blast. I never had an ambition to make millions but I have always lived the life I've wanted. It has been modest but I'm not interested in flash.

Also, as I get older I'm so much more content with less. I fancy a three month interrail, ticket in the next couple of years to have a mooch around Europe. No desire to go to expensive hotels/long haul destinations.
About £5,000,000 per month for energy bills.
The cannabis farm in full production?

Oddly I get random questions like that as well. I have no idea on any of it. I go out to work and my pay goes into our account.
I know that we overpay on the mortgage and I know at a glance exactly what we have left to pay on it (which isn’t much and could be paid off in full now if we chose), how much we owe on our credit card which gets paid off in full every month, what’s in our savings account, what’s in our daily account, what’s in crypto, what’s in our superannuation account. Not being big headed I know that because of her budgeting we aren’t that badly off at all and we don’t have to worry at all about cash.

Thing is, if it was left to me then I would be living in a cardboard box underneath the Wear Bridge and I’d be gobbling off rent boys for baccy money by now and Mrs K would be nowhere to be seen.

Wouldn't that make you a rent boy's rent boy ?

3 kids makes thing SO much more expensive.
Went to B&Bs cafe at Dalton park last weekend. Drink, sandwich and cake (the twins shared, so not even 5 items of each) came to about £35! For a quick bite at a coffee shop.
Wait until you try and get a holiday for 5
evrything is geared to a family of 4

Back