How much per month do you need to live?

I know what you're saying and having a bit extra after all the bills are paid is a probably a reasonable baseline for being able to live a happy life. However, it's hard to get away from the fact that, to some degree, money can buy you happiness. I think for most of us it's finding that balance between the pursuit of wealth to be able to afford holidays, hobbies, etc. that add to our happiness and not making ourselves unhappy in the process of doing that.
Agreed mate. But being happy in the first place is the key. The adding to that happiness or more so not adding to it shouldn’t make you unhappy, which is where people struggle. People loose sight of their own ‘happiness’ as they compare others ‘happiness’ especially online when often they are looking at others wealth.

edit. Even ive read that^^^ twice and can’t make any sense of it…good luck.

I’m lucky I’ve got a good job but with the arrival of #2 in February we’ve had to tighten the purse strings and cut down on luxuries. We were expecting this with her on maternity (no pay) and the nursery fees but things will start to pick up next year

This is one thing I refuse to do like. Kids wise I can’t comment. I have mates who I’d guess are pretty over stretched housing, car and events wise and think their lives must be stressful as owt.
In most cases they aren’t stressed as they see it as normal. They look at you thinking why is he not coming to this gig or that celebration and don’t take any monetary reasons as a valid excuse.

Agreed mate. But being happy in the first place is the key. The adding to that happiness or more so not adding to it shouldn’t make you unhappy, which is where people struggle. People loose sight of their own ‘happiness’ as they compare others ‘happiness’ especially online when often they are looking at others wealth.

Took a decent pay cut and moved in to a more expensive house the last few months. For the exact reasons you mention. Was grafting like fuck, but spending barely any hours in the house (well, at least whilst awake). Much happier now with less income and being able to actually enjoy some free time in a house I enjoy living in etc. Simple pleasures.

I’m lucky I’ve got a good job but with the arrival of #2 in February we’ve had to tighten the purse strings and cut down on luxuries. We were expecting this with her on maternity (no pay) and the nursery fees but things will start to pick up next year
Bang on mr whippy lad!!! Congrats.

This is one thing I refuse to do like. Kids wise I can’t comment. I have mates who I’d guess are pretty over stretched housing, car and events wise and think their lives must be stressful as owt.

I'm probably similar to you in that respect. I don't buy into having the big expensive brands etc.
However, the peer pressure with kids will be massive. Thinking back to when I was a bairn & had to have certain things, but it's probably worse now with social media.

No, it actually makes sense and I'd agree that it's a slippery slope if your happiness starts to become dependent on how you're perceived by others, especially from a material perspective.

Took a decent pay cut and moved in to a more expensive house the last few months. For the exact reasons you mention. Was grafting like fuck, but spending barely any hours in the house (well, at least whilst awake). Much happier now with less income and being able to actually enjoy some free time in a house I enjoy living in etc. Simple pleasures.
I do the same mate. It’s probably one of the best things about growing up poor, I was the happiest lad in the street playing with a stick and some dog shit. A life skill that has seen me through tough times😁 I’ve never been bothered about what other people have or what they think of me and finally met a lass that thinks the same.
im glad to hear you are happy pal. It’s getting a bit doing and gloomy on here of late.

No, it actually makes sense and I'd agree that it's a slippery slope if your happiness starts to become dependent on how you're perceived by others, especially from a material perspective.
It’s definitely a social media thing. My daughter is surrounded by hard workers. 2 nurses her Mam and sister and me a builder. All grandparents were grafters in fact all the family that she is close too are workers. Yet she models her life on some billionaires living in Los Angeles. Crazy.

I do the same mate. It’s probably one of the best things about growing up poor, I was the happiest lad in the street playing with a stick and some dog shit. A life skill that has seen me through tough times😁 I’ve never been bothered about what other people have or what they think of me and finally met a lass that thinks the same.
im glad to hear you are happy pal. It’s getting a bit doing and gloomy on here of late.

Sounds like a very similar mentality mate. The absence of social media helps mind.

It’s definitely a social media thing.

:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
A relatively normal life?

Place to stay -
Electric -
Gas -
Water -
Internet -
Food -
Travel (car/bus fare) -

Is there anything I have missed?
I don't just mean to survive, I mean to live a basic but normal life
Place to stay - £1,150 - mortgage plus £100 overpayment
Electric and gas £74
Water - £20odd a month
Internet - £50 odd
Food - £320
Travel (car/bus fare) - Nowt for me 0 maybe £50 a month in the car, circa £200 for Mrs.

We'd struggle on one salary.

The main cost for us at the minute is the keeping up with Jones'es. Kids in every club going, got every toy going, go to events cos other people do
Ha. Horrified yesterday when was asked to go halfs on 2 kids violin lessons a month.

How much? Bliddy violin? They're never gonna keep it up anyway etc

Then I got, they miss out on things as it is. Do they heck.

It’s definitely a social media thing. My daughter is surrounded by hard workers. 2 nurses her Mam and sister and me a builder. All grandparents were grafters in fact all the family that she is close too are workers. Yet she models her life on some billionaires living in Los Angeles. Crazy.
Bet you’d all whinge about your job though. It’s cold. Shifts are shit. Urgh, work again etc.

That’s why she wants to be an influencer.

You should look into claiming universal credit, you might be entitled to it if you only earn £300pw and look after a child.
Place to stay - Nowt
Electric & Gas - £130
Water - £30
Internet - £20
Food - £800
Travel (car/bus fare) - £100
£800 a month on food? Is that just groceries, or are you including a weekly restaurant trip and takeaway?

Aye, rinsed for £170 a month here.

170? Id love that 😬
£800 a month on food? Is that just groceries, or are you including a weekly restaurant trip and takeaway?

We are bad for food but £800? Jesus
Ha. Horrified yesterday when was asked to go halfs on 2 kids violin lessons a month.

How much? Bliddy violin? They're never gonna keep it up anyway etc

Then I got, they miss out on things as it is. Do they heck.

Latest for us is residentials. Skiing in France FFS. Over £1K.

Last edited:

Back