How much per month do you need to live?

Are you going to do anything different when you have more disposable income?
It'll take some adjustment to be honest, you get used to be being a tight arse, however the daughter and her partner are looking for a house now so I'll probably end up contributing to their deposit with some of the extra money I will have.

Good luck to you mate, I'd struggle on that mind. Looking forward to paying ours off next year mind I must admit - problem is we need to find somewhere bigger

I've been thinking of getting something bigger and maybe a mortgage again. Would be looking at paying it off in under 10 years though.

No hurry, house prices are canny inflated at present.
Where I am it's f***ing barmy - looking at 250k upwards for a house out the city, in the city 400k upwards. Flat downstairs from us went for 230k last month prices have exploded
How do the locals afford to live, I mean those in lower paid professions?

Last edited:
I've been thinking of getting something bigger and maybe a mortgage again. Would be looking at paying it off in under 10 years though.

We want a house for the garden - we'll make a fortune on the flat but in reality want to keep it as pension and a canny start for the kids

Worked out we could live on around £1600 per month when I retire. Couldn't quite do that now but five years time gets closer every day.

Can't bloody wait

Last edited:
We want a house for the garden - we'll make a fortune on the flat but in reality want to keep it as pension and a canny start for the kids
Aye, since covid I wouldn't be without a garden. The bairns love the trampoline (back garden not front as I'm dead classy).

If you can afford to keep it and still move then it might be a canny idea.

How do the locals afford to live, I mean those in lower paid professions?

It's all rented and social housing is dirt cheap - a 'council' flat is as cheap as 150quid a month. Decent houses don't come up often and you find it's young people who have inherited them and are selling them

It's all rented and social housing is dirt cheap - a 'council' flat is as cheap as 150quid a month. Decent houses don't come up often and you find it's young people who have inherited them and are selling them
You can retire back to Houghton one day and own the whole town. 😂
I want one with a pool 😂
Me too, but that'll be the next move. 🤣

Until then it's a paddling pool. 😂

Last edited:
They're not like. Every day's a competition to see who can win at being the poorest or spend the least money. It's weird as owt.
It's weird alright.

Cock waving with the same 2 or 3 posters boasting about their property value / investment portfolio / retirement fund

versus

The inverted cock waving with those who boast about how they spend 30p a month on food as they grow all their own veg and forage in bins for sources of protein

Back