How much for a gaming PC that’ll support 200 FPS?

:lol:

If you split it up into 40-hour "working" weeks, it's more than 3 years. :lol::lol::lol:

Thankfully I actually installed it for the first time about 18 years ago, so it's not all that bad really. :lol::oops:
A lot of it is probably when you aren't even playing. I have hundreds of hours on games I've played for about 40 because steam counts time you are alt-tabbed out.

I don't think I've played 1.6 since my kis was born, he's a teenager now.

He could get 200fps at 720p no problem, but it’d look like shit. FPS isn’t everything.

Don’t let the internet influence him that much, 120 is spot on especially if its at 1080p.

Last edited:
He could get 200fps at 720p no problem, but it’d look like shit. FPS isn’t everything.

Don’t let the internet influence him that much, 120 is spot on especially if its at 1080p.
Amazes me people jumping on 4k gaming this soon tbh. Think HebburnMackem said he was diving into it 2 or 3 years back. 1080p looks great still.

My son is after a gaming PC (currently has a 2 year old Lenovo Y520 gaming laptop). Typical 13yo, plays mainly Fortnite and CoD. Reason he wants to upgrade is to get a better FPS, he says at the minute he gets around 120, (which from what I’ve googled sounds like a good number for Fortnite, what do I know though...)

He’d like to sell his laptop and put the money towards building a gaming rig. I’m just trying to get a handle on the numbers, if we built a PC what would a realistic figure for the parts be, I know he’d need a 240hz monitor, good GPU. Is £1000 realistic?

What I don’t want is to go through the whole thing only to end up with something that’s not that much better than his current laptop.

Any advice appreciated!
200fps and 240hz monitor :lol::lol: is his name Ninja by any chance?

he's having your life mate. 144hz is fine. any game 60-100fps on high/medium is fine.

Depends what he ends up playing tbh. If he's playing just Fortnite then 120fps is more than enough.

However if he were to play a game like CS:GO, I'd say that he was justified in wanting more than 120fps. (Not that 120fps isn't exactly playable!). Even going from 60hz to 144hz for it was game changing
That'll be because of the improved response rate of the monitor NOT the refresh rate.

Exactly.

Maybe I'm a bit out of it here. But wouldn't vsync on a 144hz 1440p monitor be excellent? Especially with all the detail turned up.
Anything above that wouldn't even be shown on the screen.

That's a point so few people get. Input lag is a real thing in FPS games.
Shame the laptop in the OP doesn't support G-Sync as it shaves quite a chunk from the lag timings.

Tbf to the OPs kid; whilst his claim for needing a 200fps rig might be a bit ott, if he's playing shooters on a laptop, it might be worth getting a proper PC setup.
Properly researched it would't cost the earth & would keep him happy for a good few years (or until nVidia release their Ampere cards...)

I'm laughing because it's ridiculous to think it's going to make any difference to your gameplay.

At 60fps, you're getting one frame every 0.0167 seconds.
At 144fps, you're getting one frame every 0.0069 seconds.
At 200fps, you're getting one frame every 0.005 seconds.

Recent studies have shown that the brain at its absolute fastest can only process visual information that lasts a minimum of 0.013 seconds, so essentially, much more than 76fps and you're fooling yourself that you can see any difference at all. Brains just don't don't work that quickly when it comes to visual information.

In the blink of an eye

You are talking rubbish like.

Go and watch one of the many FPS side by side comparison videos on a decent monitor and tell me you cant see the difference?

I dont care about whatever links you provide, there are many visual examples on youtube where the difference is night and day.

Go and watch one of the many FPS side by side comparison videos on a decent monitor and tell me you cant see the difference?

I dont care about whatever links you provide, there are many visual examples on youtube where the difference is night and day.

:lol: It's like that Stewart Lee skit where he's talking to the taxi driver, who says "well, you can prove any thing with facts, can't you?"

After which, Lee mock-imitates him "I'm not interested in facts, I find they tend to cloud my judgement. I prefer to rely on instinct and blind prejudice." :lol:

Couple of points on that

1 - Youtube is compressed to fuck, and maxes out at 60fps anyway doesn't it? And usually only 30.
2 - You can render at 1000 fps, but if your monitor refresh rate is 60 or 144hz, that's all you're going to see.

Back