How much do you spend on hobbies?

My second hobby was Snooker.
Cost me nowt but gave me and my pals a great deal of pleasure.
I bought a full sized table for £18 before it really took off.
Refurbished it and sold it on after many years for £1800.

I used to have a Meccano set as a kid.
Christmas present from my parents.
Spent hours on it. Was too old for Lego when it came out, though my kids enjoyed it.

Started playing golf a few months ago. Cost a few bob but nothing ridiculous. Mate of mine has spent into the thousands on ridiculous gear. I've probably spent maybe around 400 quid but that's mainly on clubs/ bag/ trolley etc which will last me a few years. Can't play enough to warrant a membership so would guess around 300 quid next year for green fees.

Football 5 a side - 3 quid a week
SAFC season ticket - 300 ish p/a
Fishing - 100 a year bait , tackle , day tickets , new bits and bobs
Mountain biking - 100 a year , upgrades , servicing , new gear

The second best thing I’ve ever done is scuba diving.
Hard to calculate the cost. I bought my rig over a couple of years back in the nineties which cost about $3k total back then and I’m still using it now but occasionally get new bits. Computer went kaput recently but may just replace it with analogue gauges - maybe about $200. The cost to pay the boat/dive shop is about $90 a two-tank dive. Spent about $2k last month for me and bewer and bairn to get to Cozumel for a week but that was an AI holiday not just diving.

I own nine guitars bought over the years, a couple were over $2k each. There’s one more I’d like to get then I’m finished.

Buy and sell watches at ridiculous prices. Again there’s one more I’d like to get then I’m finished. (I have a Mont Blanc Timewalker GMT for sale if anyone’s interested PM me!)

Last edited:
More than I should, but not as much as I would like (The Mrs see's to that :( ). Mind a mate of mine is indulging in his hobbies in Thailand at the moment, gonna cost him a lot of baht, an embarrassing itch and y-fronts worth of crabs. Dirty bastard he is!

All me spare dosh used to go on footy, much to the annoyance of the (then) wife.
That suited me fine, until we got relegated for a second time under Mick McCarthy, the final straw being a single home win all season in a rearranged game against Fulham.

The (then) wife suggested spending the c. £400pa on new hifi or home cinema gear. Called her bluff and for the following few years, spent that amount on new amps, speakers, blu ray players etc.

By a lucky coincidence, I started earning a load more dosh after the divorce and now I enjoy corporate hospitality with clients as often as I can at the SoL.

My last home cinema upgrade was to 4k / Dolby Atmos which cost about £1100 - won't be spending that amount ever again.
Although I probably treat myself to a couple of discs a week, and Cinema Paradiso costs £5.99pm I think.

I own nine guitars bought over the years, a couple were over $2k each. There’s one more I’d like to get then I’m finished.
That's what I keep saying about lenses for the camera - this is the last one, I don't need any more. ;)

I have around 20 cameras, lenses and cameras are xpensive (Most I’ve paid for a lens is about $1800).

My record collection costs me a couple hundred per month.

I also buy a coupl,e of kites every year a about $200 each.

No wonder I’m skint

Back