How much data do you need?

CatRyan

Striker
My brother arrived in from Japan yesterday and is staying in a flat without internet. I've got him a mifi thing and am looking at various SIM cards. He wants to watch stuff and zoom his family etc
I know this is a bit of a piece of string query but what are the best solutions to this and how much data should I be looking to get?

My brother arrived in from Japan yesterday and is staying in a flat without internet. I've got him a mifi thing and am looking at various SIM cards. He wants to watch stuff and zoom his family etc
I know this is a bit of a piece of string query but what are the best solutions to this and how much data should I be looking to get?

Surely it’s depends on how long he’s staying for. You can pick up sim only deals with unlimited data for about £20 a month

I have an unlimited data package, however based on looking at my usage, I use an average of 22GB a month. I don’t make Zoom calls but stream a lot and listen to a lot of music (up to a couple of hours a day) which eats into data. And I’d say my viewing/listening/browsing habits are reasonably consistent.

So I’m going to go with no less than 20GB.

Surely it’s depends on how long he’s staying for. You can pick up sim only deals with unlimited data for about £20 a month
A Smarty SIM is what you need. Daughter is on 30gb for £10 p/m though doesn't need all that now. You can get unlimited for £20 p/m.

Will switch all phones to it when contracts expire.

Here you go - http://referme.to/Pa8KR3x

If it is the sole Internet source then it would depend if he watches Netflix and streaming services like that.

I've got WiFi in the house and still use 10gb of data on my mobile.

I reckon someone could easily go through upwards of 40gb a month if streaming movies etc

If it is the sole Internet source then it would depend if he watches Netflix and streaming services like that.

I've got WiFi in the house and still use 10gb of data on my mobile.

I reckon someone could easily go through upwards of 40gb a month if streaming movies etc

40GB is doable, I've got a data only sim but it just has 5gb on it and you have to pay for extra. That's fine.

I have 8gb a month through sky. In last three years I’ve banked 150+ used some of it to get an iPad cheap through them. Rarely use my data as WiFi is available nearly everywhere these days.

40GB is doable, I've got a data only sim but it just has 5gb on it and you have to pay for extra. That's fine.
That smarty sim works month to month. I'd get the unlimited one as I read online that:

Watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.

The more people you have in a Zoom call, the more data you'll use up to run the meeting. Your data usage jumps up to somewhere between 810 MB and 2.4 GB per hour, or somewhere between 13.5 MB and 40 MB per minute.

So in town for 30 days, zooming for an hour and watching TV for 6 (normal email/whatsapp is negligible for most people) would mean 30 x [1 x 6 + 0.81 x 1] about 7 GB a day, which is 200+ per month.
I have 8gb a month through sky. In last three years I’ve banked 150+ used some of it to get an iPad cheap through them. Rarely use my data as WiFi is available nearly everywhere these days.
Where are you going these days to get free wifi? :)

That smarty sim works month to month. I'd get the unlimited one as I read online that:

Watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.

The more people you have in a Zoom call, the more data you'll use up to run the meeting. Your data usage jumps up to somewhere between 810 MB and 2.4 GB per hour, or somewhere between 13.5 MB and 40 MB per minute.

So in town for 30 days, zooming for an hour and watching TV for 6 (normal email/whatsapp is negligible for most people) would mean 30 x [1 x 6 + 0.81 x 1] about 7 GB a day, which is 200+ per month.

Tesco most recently my phone connected too. My work. The school i take little one too.

Tesco most recently my phone connected too. My work. The school i take little one too.

Each to their own. Data is very cheap it would seem a right chew on to swap from mobile data to wifi, but as I say each to their own.

What an excellent explanation- I learnt something there. Thanks and have a like.

Each to their own. Data is very cheap it would seem a right chew on to swap from mobile data to wifi, but as I say each to their own.
Once it done once phones automatically swap to available WiFi. I don’t do it by choice I’m just connected to 100s if not 1000s if WiFi spots around world.

Once it done once phones automatically swap to available WiFi. I don’t do it by choice I’m just connected to 100s if not 1000s if WiFi spots around world.
If it works for you - great. But for the sake of 20/30 quid I'd recommend Cat's brother gets a smarty SIM with 30gb or unlimited.

If you get your brother on here I would definitely get him unlimited data!!!!!!!!

Back