How much cycling is needed to lose weight?

bayek

Goalkeeper
New to the weight loss and wondering what's the average time required for daily cycling to burn fat and shift the weight?

Burn more calories than you eat. 3,500 calories burnt more than you eat equates to 1lb of fat.
Perfect mate, just the answer I'm looking for. Allowed a max of 1641 calories per day so I know what I've got to hit now.

Perfect mate, just the answer I'm looking for. Allowed a max of 1641 calories per day so I know what I've got to hit now.
Mate, I’m no expert & after covid need to shift a bit myself, but 1641 is very low. Especially if you’re going to be doing exercise on top.

If you’re a numbers person, buy a Fitbit. Work out what your average weekly calorie burn is & go from there. Even if I don’t exercise mine is knocking on 3,000 calories.

Lasses will be a bit lower.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
6 foot height and weigh 17st. Was 18 at 3 lb at start of the year.
Mate, I’m no expert & after covid need to shift a bit myself, but 1641 is very low. Especially if you’re going to be doing exercise on top.

If you’re a numbers person, buy a Fitbit. Work out what your average weekly calorie burn is & go from there. Even if I don’t exercise mine is knocking on 3,000 calories.

Ah right I didn't know that, I've got a fit bit and use my fitness pal app to scan all foods and it was that which suggested 1641 based on height, weight and me putting not very active such as office job. It suggested 10000 steps daily which like you say seems to hit the 3000 mark but I prefer the cycling.

Last edited:
6 foot height and weigh 17st. Was 18 at 3 lb at start of the year.

Ah right I didn't know that, I've got a fit bit and use my fitness pal app to scan all foods and it was that which suggested 1641 based on height, weight and me putting not very active such as office job. It suggested 10000 steps daily which like you say seems to hit the 3000 mark but I prefer the cycling.
@supersesh on here is RH Fitness. Is approach is very direct & possibly not for everyone, but the basics of what I just said came mainly from his videos over the years.

Excuses excuses, but pre-COVID, I was knocking about 14st, (just under) 6ft 2” & generally pretty fit. Footy a coupe of times a week & a boot camp or two. Covid completely messed up my routine, I excercisef way less, ate way more, drank way more. Stopped paying attention to calories burned & consumed. I’m knocking on 16st right now. I need to also bear in mind my muscle mass will have dropped so that 2st is more fat gain than the actual weight itself.

Anyhow, apparently I should be eating 2800 calories a day.

It seems if you hit 10,000 steps per day, that equates to enough calories burned to make a difference fat burn wise, then be in calorie deficit.

I’ve typed all that out above, I think it’s generally accurate, but I’ve only started getting back into something that resembles my pre-COVID routine in January. It’s all about my lifestyle changing. Probably having a few pints on a weekend is my biggest enemy. Empty calories & I eat worse the next day. Problem is, I’ve had events/night outs for 4 Fridays in a row. It fucks my weekend up. Think from the 19th I’ve got a month clear of no drinking.

Give up the alcohol
There’s got to be a balance of enjoying life too though. Certain social aspects I just wouldn’t attend if drinking was involved if I wasn’t drunk as drunk people get on my nipples.

Me personally, I need to pick & choose so I don’t sabotage a weekend. Less drinking, not no drinking.

That is very low mate. The body expends a certain amount of calories just to carry out it's internal functions. This will fluctuate depending on age, sex etc, but it is most likely a few hundred calories above 1650. That is without any kind of activity added on top.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna give RH fitness a message and get a plan put together as the them here is that 1640 is too low which I didn't realise.

When i go on fat stripping i cut down to 1900 calories per day but it was slit 50% protein, 30% Carbs 20% Fat.

Really struggled to eat enough to hit that calorie intake but the weight strips off.

Chicken, Turkey, Fish, boring, boring, boring but it works.

Breakfast Porridge
Snack Protein shake
Lunch Turkey Chilli, Rowntree Jelly
Snack Apple
Dinner Chicken/Turkey/Fish with veg
Chicken, Turkey, Fish, boring, boring, boring but it works.

Breakfast Porridge
Snack Protein shake
Lunch Turkey Chilli, Rowntree Jelly
Snack Apple
Dinner Chicken/Turkey/Fish with veg
Sorry, stick a high protein yogurt after dinner as well.

Last edited:
According to my Garmin, i burn 450 cals per hour on my Mtb.
600 cals per hour on my crossbike, mixed off and on road.
800 cals per hour on my road bike.
Age,weight and height will vary those numbers for you. Also obviously how hard you graft too.

No idea how accurate garmin is, but it's a good rough guide.

Back