How many tickets are we giving Celtic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By closing a good chunk of the ground and giving them 11k tickets it means that around 50% of the stadium capacity is left for Sunderland fans. I would have given them 3k and sold tickets for the home ends as cheap as chips to fill the place. They could have had a few fair ground rides, face painting, balloon animal's and invited kids from every primary school in Sunderland to play before the game.

So why have sales been shit? It's all about filling the place with Celtic fans and making money from them. If we'd played say Ajax, the sales would have been just as poor in the home end and zero in the away.
Sales have been shit because most I speak to don't really give a shit about the new season starting , let alone a friendly against Celtic. If the place had been buzzing and had gone to greater lengths to attract a better opposition than Celtic, there'd be no tickets left , especially at that price. Totally apathy and a dull opposition are behind poor ticket sales.

I'd like to know how many season tickets we've sold. If as you say people aren't interested, there could be a hell of a drop in numbers.

Reportedly around 16k and the stadium plan would back that figure up. A bit disappointing but not all that surprising really. Last season really sickened a lot of folk. I know of people who continued to renew after the 19/15 point seasons who have wrapped in.

The team need to start quickly to get fans onside.

Be interesting to see how they decorate the away end after their terrorist banner display last night

You knar what.....f***ing good that it's barely sold (tin hat on).
I know myself and the 8 or 9 ST holders round me haven't even considered going (compared to the fact some of the lads went down to hartlepool the other night).

The club have went for a game / opposition where it brings in the coin from away fans and sponsors, it's meant to be a 'celebration' of 20 years but they've done nowt to get fans enticed- apart from inviting former SoL players to turn up to do a round the pitch.
In fact, they expect Celtic to outnumber us they've invited surviving Lisbon Lions along.

So, a big to fingers up to Short and Bain from me. Fuck yous. I did my part and renewed my ST. Yous can't even get a friendly right....never mind recruitment for a squad in drastic need to change!

Rant over:lol:

Reportedly around 16k and the stadium plan would back that figure up. A bit disappointing but not all that surprising really. Last season really sickened a lot of folk. I know of people who continued to renew after the 19/15 point seasons who have wrapped in.

The team need to start quickly to get fans onside.
So we could be looking at gates under 25k. For a non-season ticket holder to take a bairn to the match will cost £35 just for tickets. It's not a cheap afternoon despite our prices being pretty good. I would imagine if we do have a slow start that match day sales will be poor.

I know myself and the 8 or 9 ST holders round me haven't even considered going (compared to the fact some of the lads went down to hartlepool the other night).

The club have went for a game / opposition where it brings in the coin from away fans and sponsors, it's meant to be a 'celebration' of 20 years but they've done nowt to get fans enticed- apart from inviting former SoL players to turn up to do a round the pitch.
In fact, they expect Celtic to outnumber us they've invited surviving Lisbon Lions along.

So, a big to fingers up to Short and Bain from me. Fuck yous. I did my part and renewed my ST. Yous can't even get a friendly right....never mind recruitment for a squad in drastic need to change!

I'm taking my two kids to Bradford on Saturday £20 for tickets and about half a tank of petrol. I'm not bothering with the Celtic game out of principle as I think they've arranged it as they know Celtic fans will travel in large numbers. Like I said earlier they could have made it a fiver across the board and only gave Celtic 3000 tickets. They could have invited kids from every primary school to play on the pitch prematch and put on face painting and balloon modelling. They would have got families turning up especially if the weather was good.

Last edited:

Some very good points there mate. Should have made it a fiver, even free heaven forbid to sc holders and played someone else and I would have gone. Not interested in going to this game one bit.

So we could be looking at gates under 25k. For a non-season ticket holder to take a bairn to the match will cost £35 just for tickets. It's not a cheap afternoon despite our prices being pretty good. I would imagine if we do have a slow start that match day sales will be poor.

I'm taking my two kids to Bradford on Saturday £20 for tickets and about half a tank of petrol. I'm not bothering with the Celtic game out of principle as I think they've arranged it as they know Celtic fans will travel in large numbers. Like I said earlier they could have made it a fiver across the board and only gave Celtic 3000 tickets. They could have invited kids from every primary school to play on the pitch prematch and put on face painting and balloon modelling. They would have got families turning up especially if the weather was good.

Problem with that is that still only 10k or so would have turned out so the club would have made a canny loss when you consider all the costs of staging a match plus Celtics fee for coming down here.

It's SUPPOSED to be primarily a celebration of 20 yrs at the Sol mate. They shudda been giving ST holders who've been there from the start free tickets as a minimum. Even then I might not have gone though, due to their cash-in selected and bland opposition

Problem with that is that still only 10k or so would have turned out so the club would have made a canny loss when you consider all the costs of staging a match plus Celtics fee for coming down here.
So it makes you wonder, why the fuck are they bothering?
- pre season home games traditionally don't attract big crowds
- no one wants to go to this one
- they could easily make a loss on it
- it's a bit of a shit 'celebration'

But....they've cancelled concerts and banged on about the need for home friendlies for 2 seaaons so.....

Last edited:
It's SUPPOSED to be primarily a celebration of 20 yrs at the Sol mate. They shudda been giving ST holders who've been there from the start free tickets as a minimum. Even then I might not have gone though, due to their cash-in selected and bland opposition
I'm not arsed about loyalty been rewarded tbh, just fill the place and make it a good day out. The irony is that there's a plaque in the ticket office with a quote from Bob Murray saying something about the stadium is for the benefit of the people and the city of Sunderland.

It'll be far from a celebration with thousands of pissed up Celtic fans pissing everywhere, acting up and kids being intimidated by them. There's a host of decent sized European clubs out there to pick from. Could have had offers like an adult and child ticket for a tenner and try to get the next generation hooked for 20+ years to come. This is owt but a "celebration" of 20 years, I totally agree with you here.

Short sightedness from the club. A great opportunity to repay the loyal support they have received over the twenty years the stadium has been open but they take the easy option and invite a club who they know will bring revenue with them.
It's bloody typical and once again underlines what a bunch of buffoons run this club.
I will not be there.

It may turn out (shock horror) that like many things touched by the hierarchy at this club, to be a total cock up.

But, as long as the coffers get a few pieces of gold hoyed in and the club can say they put an 'event' on it'll all be good in the mind of Bain's PR machine

I still think people are dictated by price. It's supposed to be an anniversary celebration, fill the place with Sunderland fans not Celtic. The whole thing is to sell tickets to thousands of Celtic fans and fill the Hilton for the weekend.
They didn't look to bring in a big glamour club in but rather only chose Celtic because they'll bring a large crowd with them. Our fans weren't considered and I doubt the club thought long and hard about the quality of the current Celtic team or even their history. If Celtic said no we'd have got Rangers instead.

I think this game comes in the middle of their tie with Rosenborg so I can't even imagine it being a strong Celtic team.:rolleyes:

Can't be arsed. I've got to sit through too many games as it is in the Championship, without ruining a summer weekend by adding in friendlies. It's not as if I can't live without seeing the new signings for another 6 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back