How many on here have “side hustles”?

We’re a six piece. Drums, bass, rhythm guitar, lead guitar and 2 fairly decent singers. Three of us are middle aged and 3 are in their 20s. We play rock and some pop covers. We’re all fairly new musicians so it takes us a while to get each song slick and tight. Unfortunately we’ve only got about an hour or so worth of material so can’t really change the set. Done a handful of gigs, charities and small festivals so far. Usually get really good feedback. Love it. Only frustration is that I practice bass a lot and most the songs we cover are dead easy on bass so I can learn them easily. The guitarists take ages to get it.

Would love to play regular small gigs. Will take your advice on board. Thanks.
Do a few Stones songs. My marras band used Stones classics to pad out their sets when they were first starting out. Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Satisfaction etc etc. Easy to learn and the audience know em off by heart already.

A lad at work buys watches from the abroad on eBay and sells em in the U.K.for £300+ mark up. He reckons people in the U.K. are scared to buy em from abroad but will pay extra from a U.K. seller.

Last edited:
Your cousin?
No. People who I met in my last job when I went out there recruiting developers. My last company didn’t want to outsource support but others do as it keeps their developers on new developments and allows them to be retained, which is important as developers are outnumbered by open roles and good developers are hard to keep.

Why so many young workers have ‘side hustles’
Being one of the older generation on here, this was an interesting read for me. As a baby boomer I only ever had one job at a time and always in education, for a total of 38 years. What sort of side hustles do people have on here? I will probably be amazed and amused.
I used to when I was older. It was usually bar work as I moved around a lot. Not so much since I moved to the US, that said at one time I was working a 9-5 job with 4 nights bar work and weekends coaching kids playing footy.

Fortunately now my line of work means I don't need the side hustle.

I used to when I was older. It was usually bar work as I moved around a lot. Not so much since I moved to the US, that said at one time I was working a 9-5 job with 4 nights bar work and weekends coaching kids playing footy.

Fortunately now my line of work means I don't need the side hustle.
You could probably make a few quid out of your time travelling machine.

There have been many times when I’ve had more than one job and in my younger days more than two.

The huge difference was that I never called it a “side hustle”. If only I’d known. I feel such a fool now. My life has been a lie.

Back