How many of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bored of it, disillusioned with it, burned out from too many 12 hour days.

Luckily I did bits and pieces of coding for data analysis so I'm not going in totally blind. But they did interview me for a different job and offered me a software job after the interview.

I'll probably use the title, aye. Four years of toil and I suppose it does carry a certain amount of gravitas.

I thought molecular biology sounded interesting tbh!

I want to do an degree in astrophysics / quantum physics like, however would need to do A levels first as i only have lower level engineering / electrical qualifications and worked in finance. Quite a mix i know :lol:

I want to do an degree in astrophysics / quantum physics like, however would need to do A levels first as i only have lower level engineering / electrical qualifications and worked in finance. Quite a mix i know :lol:

It was really interesting, I would still be doing it if every experiment worked relatively easily and it was a profession that actually provides a stable lifestyle before you're in your mid-30s.

Who knows, I might take the skills I learn in this job and apply them to biological problems in the future. Computational biology is a very big thing these days.

No-one got degrees much in my day (around 5% perhaps), A levels were usually enough to steer you into a career which you'd likely need a degree for now.

I still wouldn't mind doing a history degree now (even though I gave up history at 14).

Unfotunately degrees mean next to nowt now, compared to say 20-30 year ago . Its become almost the norm now for kids to stay on and go to university, many badly advised into doing meaningless degrees
This. Bad advice, as was at school when Blair was pm. We were told we needed a degree to earn 20k a year....essentially :rolleyes: not all, but we were advised by people who hadn't left school throughout their careers.

Mine has worked out well, but feel I'll need to do more to go further tbh. Got me interviews and my experience/very hard work has paid off so far.

Do it mate.

This. Bad advice, as was at school when Blair was pm. We were told we needed a degree to earn 20k a year....essentially :rolleyes: not all, but we were advised by people who hadn't left school throughout their careers.

Mine has worked out well, but feel I'll need to do more to go further tbh. Got me interviews and my experience/very hard work has paid off so far.

Agreed.

I resent Blair's education policy for normalising a culture where skilled trades were looked down upon in favour of meaningless degrees.

I'm not absolving myself or anyone of any guilt in regards to not doing enough independent research, but if you're told all throughout secondary school that you should go to sixth form then university because you'll earn more, you take it in. You notice that whilst it's not explicitly said, certain students are directed towards the trades and BTECs and apprenticeships and the like.

Reality of it is, a skilled tradesman will likely earn more than someone who has an average degree in an average subject from an average university and subsequently ends up in an average job.

Last edited:
Do it mate.

Agreed.

I resent Blair's education policy for normalising a culture where skilled trades were looked down upon in favour of meaningless degrees.

I'm not absolving myself or anyone of any guilt in regards to not doing enough independent research, but if you're told all throughout secondary school that you should go to sixth form then university because you'll earn more, you take it in. You notice that whilst it's not explicitly said, certain students are directed towards the trades and BTECs and apprenticeships and the like.

Reality of it is, a skilled tradesman will likely earn more than someone who has an average degree in an average subject from an average university and subsequently ends up in an average job.

You went to York and got a good degree and an MSc though ya git dog noncing berk!

Me, in the sense that my grad degree and undergrad aren't the same fields. But I've used all of them at various times. Current job requires my graduate degree.

It's ended him a career photocopying though hasn't it?

I worked in admin for six months after graduating but now I have a job that requires a masters degree in public health and I work for a local authority.

It was hell on Earth photocopying shit for six months though!

You went to York and got a good degree and an MSc though ya git dog noncing berk!

MPH not MSc ;)

Last edited:
I worked in admin for six months after graduating but now I have a job that requires a masters degree in public health and I work for a local authority.

It was hell on Earth photocopying shit for six months though!

MPH not MSc ;)

Local authority? You'll be back at the Xerox in no time once the Tories win the next GE. ;)

How can 3 years of government subsidised debauchery possibly be shit? Did you get the clap in freshers week?

Had a mate who did. Dose of Chlamydia off a lass from Bulwell in Nottingham.

Didn't even get told personally just included on a group message... probably tells you all you need to know about the dirty little goer

How can 3 years of government subsidised debauchery possibly be shit? Did you get the clap in freshers week?

Had a mate who did. Dose of Chlamydia off a lass from Bulwell in Nottingham.

Didn't even get told personally just included on a group message... probably tells you all you need to know about the dirty little goer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back