How many European countries allow smacking of children?

It was a normal part of school life in the '60's. We used to get caned for pronouncing French words wrongly. Considering that I went to school in Annfield Plain and Stanley, most people had difficulty pronouncing English words correctly never mind French :lol:

That just makes it even more horrific that it was normal

That just makes it even more horrific that it was normal
If you're brought up with it as a normal part of school life you accept it. We were hit across the arse with rounders bats in junior school, and progressed to the cane in secondary school, although the PE teacher "Jock" Brawn, favoured a size 11 sandshoe applied to the rear end of your gym shorts. It was a fairly regular occurance too.

Last edited:
Mate told me at Usworth comp in the late 70's/early 80's the PE teacher uses to get all the naughty lads to line up at the edge of the pool (wearing shorts only) and get them to bend down and try touch their toes.He'd then pull down their shorts and smack them on the arse with a sand shoe so they would fall into the pool.

Thats horrific :(
Maybe if it had happened to you.............
It was a normal part of school life in the '60's. We used to get caned for pronouncing French words wrongly. Considering that I went to school in Annfield Plain and Stanley, most people had difficulty pronouncing English words correctly never mind French :lol:
looking out the window was my favourite. He shouldn't have been such a boring prick.

We had the choice between lines and the cane when we had mass punishment. No way was I doing lines.
Mate told me at Usworth comp in the late 70's/early 80's the PE teacher uses to get all the naughty lads to line up at the edge of the pool (wearing shorts only) and get them to bend down and try touch their toes.He'd then pull down their shorts and smack them on the arse with a sand shoe so they would fall into the pool.
That is not even borderline abuse (if it happened). Nonce wing for that PE monster

Last edited:
I'd hazard that most parents smack their kids do it when they are already in a bad mood, tired or becoming irritated by said child. In this sense it's not really about parenting at all. It's a reaction brought about by being irritated.

For those who smack I'd be interested to know in which situations do you smack your child. Is it to alert them away from dangerous situations? If it's not something instant then there are far far better ways to impose consequences than smacking.
I considered it my fatherly duty to my lads to show them if you push someone to the absolute limit they are likely to get extreme and clout you. Keeping that fact from them would have been misinforming them.
No harm done and they don't get chinned too often in adult life even though they approach the line enough
Depends on the context. I remember at school in the early '60's the teacher was late coming into class, and quite a few of our class were playing up causing a rumpus while there was no supervision. The teacher turns up as it was going on , couldn't be bothered to sort the culprits out, and caned the whole 30 of us in the class (twice on each hand) . The class was self policing after that :lol:
Happened to me that . I still hate that bastard and it was 50 years ago.

Maybe if it had happened to you.............

looking out the window was my favourite. He shouldn't have been such a boring prick.

We had the choice between lines and the cane when we had mass punishment. No way was I doing lines.

That is not even borderline abuse (if it happened). Nonce wing for that PE monster

Yeah you'd be in prison doing that now

I got smacked and I almost turned out alright

We never smacked our son an he's turned out to be a better human than me

Back