How many European countries allow smacking of children?

Seems a bit of a contradiction.

In my experience they go hand in hand. Give em anything they want to keep them quiet and if they carry on give them a smack cos they're pissing you off.

Its not giving them everything they want AND resisting the easy option of smacking them when the subsequent tantrum ensues that is the hard part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Which by attacking him in the way he has been attacked proves his point on hitting children ironically.
I think @monkeytassle had it right, he explained that he had tried all other forms of discipline but it failed and in fear of his daughters safety resorted to physical punishment and got no pleasure in doing so. But to just say it’s acceptable because it happened to you is totally wrong mind or it’s easier or quicker sends the wrong message out to potential parents. Parents are getting younger and need teaching properly about this kind of thing.

Parents are not getting younger - in fact it's the total opposite. The average age of parents in the UK has consistently increased since the 1970s.

Like a puppy. If you actually train your kids with a mindset to follow the rules you need to make, which you should ensure are fit for purpose, then you will have a few respectful kids who adapt to the normality of the rules and do not feel the need to overstep them.

Just remember though, the rule book of a young life cannot be read in one chapter, because kids get older and wiser and certainly more inquisitive, as well as finding reasons to question certain boundaries that were placed on their younger selves.

And remember one main thing. Parents also have their own rule book to follow. It's called learning to be a parent for the duration of your kid's lives up until they become a parent themselves. Then your kids can follow your rule book if you've set it out in a way they felt comfortable with.

The major issue outside of this, is your kids being a part of someone else's rules, whether it is schooling or their mate's family, or the actual following of their mates.
This is where you have to ensure you don't become too overpowering with your kids or they may just rebel or find ways to be devious.

Instill honesty as best you can, which means you lead the way.

There's no perfect book out there but in any book, smacking solves nothing. There are many more ways in which to punish your child if the need arises...but....if you stick to values then a stern talking to generally suffices and a " we'll say no more on the matter." Which gives your kid a mindset of no grudges being held and no later use of that issue being used in another stern telling.

It builds trust and it builds friendship as the kid gets older.

No it doesn't. In my opinion. I'll give my kids a crack as I see fit. I'm not f***ing volleying their heads off a wall. They're getting a short sharp smack to stop ridiculous behaviour. Or I can try and reason with a 4y old.

That's a good point to be fair.
Mini K understands the threat of Time Out or Calm Down Time, but trying to reason with her when she's not even 3 is a challenge.
Thankfully she's very bright so she knows what you mean. That also means you get a lot of answers back :lol:

That's a good point to be fair.
Mini K understands the threat of Time Out or Calm Down Time, but trying to reason with her when she's not even 3 is a challenge.
Thankfully she's very bright so she knows what you mean. That also means you get a lot of answers back :lol:

Oh yes - you often wonder where they come up with the replies from as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's starting to become clear that the likes of the OP can't take a little tap, so thinks this constitutes a pasting, hence the inability to distinguish between the two. The type that never had the odd roll about whilst growing up I reckon.
She’s not your mate. Get her clipped.

She's taking him for a right mug. Fast forward a few years and she's got him laughing and forgetting the fact she's flogged all the furniture.

Last edited:
It’s not irrelevant. I think it speaks volumes about societies that it is illegal in most European countries.

I have never hit my children and never will. I’ll bet you my car vs your car that I am not the only one.

The answer by the way is only 3: Switzerland, Czech Republic and Italy. I was surprised Poland wasn’t included. Hitting children seems to be acceptable there (based on talking to two Polish mothers I know) but is apparently illegal.

Correct, however we will have the usual crowd on here with the "my parents kicked the holy crap out of me and it didnt do me any harm" line.

She’s not your mate. Get her clipped.

She is like. She's class. Most of the time :lol:
She's taking him for a right mug. Fast forward a few years and she's got him laughing and forgetting the fact she's flogged all the furniture.

*sitting on the floor*
Wait a second...

Seriously though, she's gets praise when she does things right, and corrected when she misbehaves. Out of all her friends, I'd say she's the best behaved by a country mile.

Last edited:
Like a puppy. If you actually train your kids with a mindset to follow the rules you need to make, which you should ensure are fit for purpose, then you will have a few respectful kids who adapt to the normality of the rules and do not feel the need to overstep them.

Just remember though, the rule book of a young life cannot be read in one chapter, because kids get older and wiser and certainly more inquisitive, as well as finding reasons to question certain boundaries that were placed on their younger selves.

And remember one main thing. Parents also have their own rule book to follow. It's called learning to be a parent for the duration of your kid's lives up until they become a parent themselves. Then your kids can follow your rule book if you've set it out in a way they felt comfortable with.

The major issue outside of this, is your kids being a part of someone else's rules, whether it is schooling or their mate's family, or the actual following of their mates.
This is where you have to ensure you don't become too overpowering with your kids or they may just rebel or find ways to be devious.

Instill honesty as best you can, which means you lead the way.

There's no perfect book out there but in any book, smacking solves nothing. There are many more ways in which to punish your child if the need arises...but....if you stick to values then a stern talking to generally suffices and a " we'll say no more on the matter." Which gives your kid a mindset of no grudges being held and no later use of that issue being used in another stern telling.

It builds trust and it builds friendship as the kid gets older.

f***ing hell it’s Jerry Springer

Mishandled shame based rejection punishment can do far more long term damage than a quick deserved clip in my view. Different when the clip wasn't deserved though that's very damaging .
Depends on the context. I remember at school in the early '60's the teacher was late coming into class, and quite a few of our class were playing up causing a rumpus while there was no supervision. The teacher turns up as it was going on , couldn't be bothered to sort the culprits out, and caned the whole 30 of us in the class (twice on each hand) . The class was self policing after that :lol:

Depends on the context. I remember at school in the early '60's the teacher was late coming into class, and quite a few of our class were playing up causing a rumpus while there was no supervision. The teacher turns up as it was going on , couldn't be bothered to sort the culprits out, and caned the whole 30 of us in the class (twice on each hand) . The class was self policing after that :lol:

Thats horrific :(

Should bring back the cane imo

Parents should be allowed to do it aswell
You know what's missing from this thread?

@CatRyan

WHY!!

Back