How long have you stayed in a job?

I’m considering changing jobs again. I just realized I’ve never done the same job for longer than 3 years

i done 14 years in the military but I was moved around a lot and held different positions

I then went into another industry for a few months then took a supervisor role. Then 12 months later got a manager job, that I done for 6 months then moved country.

If I move from this one I will have had 4 different jobs within 4 years in Canada

is this normal? Or do most people get a job and just stick with it?

I used to move around quite alot and got a name for myself as a kind of trouble shooter, then I found a company that had no end of troubles so stayed there for about 5 years, back to my usual now of sticking around to long enough to sort stuff out and then find a new challenge, usually stay 18 months.

6 years in the main.
Currently done 6 years with the current one I am working for and will stay for another 2 years providing they want me.
Recruiting 3 new team members next year, the best part of the job.
Not had to lose anyone through Covid and the Company have been superb. Even trying to pay a bonus next year to the employees despite sales being down. Keep telling the younger members of my team that this is not the norm.

Longest job 13 years - enjoyed the early years but then got stuck in a dead end position so needed a change
Shortest job 2 months - handed in my notice at my 1 month review meeting as it wasn't working out
Current job 2.5 years - going OK. Not the best job ever but it feels fairly secure.

Happy to stop where I am for the next few years. My mortgage will be paid off in about 4-5 years which gives me the opportunity to decide to do something else.

Construction industry. After three months or so when all the pubs n cafes in the area have been tried I’m itching for a new site. I’m not suited to the real world to be honest.

30 years. I find people who jump jobs all the time weird.

Certainly when I look at CVs it is always odd when people have history of regularly jumping between jobs. It indicates an inability to settle. The occasional short term job isn't a problem as we've all had jobs where which were a time-filler or didn't work out but I'd be wary of hiring anyone who had 10 jobs in as many years. I used to know someone who was brilliant at bullshitting his way through interviews but was a pain in the arse to work with so never lasted anywhere before quitting or being fired.

However, at the other end of the spectrum, I'd suspicious about someone who hadn't changed companies in over 20 years and then suddenly wants to change jobs.

3.5 years is my longest in a single role (first role in current company). Longest at a company was just under 6 years (had 3 or 4 roles within that time).

Depends on your industry and level of experience. For me, 18 months is plenty when you're earlier in your career but increases as you get more senior.

Certainly when I look at CVs it is always odd when people have history of regularly jumping between jobs. It indicates an inability to settle. The occasional short term job isn't a problem as we've all had jobs where which were a time-filler or didn't work out but I'd be wary of hiring anyone who had 10 jobs in as many years. I used to know someone who was brilliant at bullshitting his way through interviews but was a pain in the arse to work with so never lasted anywhere before quitting or being fired.

However, at the other end of the spectrum, I'd suspicious about someone who hadn't changed companies in over 20 years and then suddenly wants to change jobs.

I wouldn't doing the job I do. :lol:

Last job, 14 years (offshore)
Current job, 18 years (cancer care charity)
Loved them both, but current job is the best I've had....the people I work work with are unbelievably dedicated, and truly inspirational.

Back