How long have you stayed in a job?

First 7 years of my working life were pretty nomadic.

Since 1990 I've had three long-term jobs (13, 7 & 9 years, still at the latter) and a couple of fillers in between these that I resigned from to take up the new job.

Worked for the NHS for 5 years from 2012-2017. Started on the bank working in medical records, then split my time between there and Estates.

Applied for a team leader role after I finished uni in 2013, doing that in medical records and later overseeing outpatients from a records perspective at North Tyneside Hospital. Did a bit work in their contact centre towards the end as well.

Would still be working there now but was struggling to move up.

Been a Civil Servant for nearly four years now, started in DWP and now in DfE. Every job move has been on promotion, like.

Since I qualified as an accountant the longest I’ve done is 3 years. Everything has been either tactical or for career progression:
  • First move for career progression - was sold a pup in the end because it was a disaster
  • 2nd move because I was pretty much bullied by my boss
  • 3rd move was career progression - £7k pay rise
  • 4th move because I was freaking out about being a 45 mile drive away when my wife went back to work after having our 2nd kid
  • 5th move to go back into the industry I’d left in move 4
I’m happy where I am now - a salary level I’m happy with, a chance for progression in a couple of years (at 36 I’m the 2nd youngest in my whole department and the youngest at my level or above by 10 years) in an industry I like.

30 years. I find people who jump jobs all the time weird.
Never been tempted, head-hunted, etc? What do you work as if you don't mind me asking?

I've been self-employed for 10 years, largely as there wasn't many local opportunities when I graduated and I needed to stay close to home.

I'm now going into a full-time position for the first-team and the interview process has taken two months for what is a fairly junior role (a mate at the company actually asked if I was sure I wanted it).

1st job 12.5 years
Then bits and pieces for the next 7 years. Think 10 months was the longest in those years.
Then 10 years on and off for a company.
Been in current job for 18 months. If we move as planned next year, I’ll be looking for something closer to home even though I reckon I could move up when one of the managers retires.

Never been tempted, head-hunted, etc? What do you work as if you don't mind me asking?

I've been self-employed for 10 years, largely as there wasn't many local opportunities when I graduated and I needed to stay close to home.

I'm now going into a full-time position for the first-team and the interview process has taken two months for what is a fairly junior role (a mate at the company actually asked if I was sure I wanted it).
I’m a metallurgist, so positions are fairly limited locally anyway. The idea of moving away to work blows my mind.
I was headhunted once and just used it as leverage to get money where I am. I don’t even bother responding to the recruiters these days.
I’re reached a position where I can pretty much do as I want, as I’m in charge of my own dept and pretty much everything is within my comfort zone. I work with a good team, every day is a laugh, and it gives me an audience for my goofing about. The money is decent, so I have no real reason to leave.
i can’t think of anything worse than bouncing around jobs, having to make new friends and possibly enemies al the time. What if you don’t like the nee job or they impose Ts and Cs that don’t suit you?

Back