How long does it take to train to be

Join the RAF

Think easy jet did some sort of trainee course, there was a docu series on telly about them

My mates son was on apprentice scheme... Still had to finan e your flight school but guaranteed a job on completion.

Done nearly 2 years now actually flying with them after doing a fair few weeks on the simulator...only became 22 yesterday.. lots of years ahead of him.. get his hours get a promotion and then he will fuck off to one of the world players.. other wise he is stuck doing there and backs for his life and not getting to lots of destinations

A friend of mine is a captain for Tui based in Manchester. He's just recently been promoted from 737's to 787's. He only has to do 2 long haul flights a week insted of 2 short haul per day for 4 days in a row. His first flight as 787 captain was to Montego Bay on New Years Eve. Since then he's been to the Dominican Republic 3 times, Jamaica twice and is currently in Mexico. I think he's the captain of the Barbados flight from NCL later this month too.
Not Captain Tobias Wilcox is it?

A mate of mine went to America to do his, it cost £14,000 but that was about 35 years ago :D . He did 1 month then jacked it in because "it was just like driving a tractor on me dads farm" according to him!!!!! The course he went on was the same one some of the 9/11 terrorists did, obviously not in the same time period.

A commercial pilot? And cost ?
cheers
Cost me neck end of £50K at the time and that was going the long route.. hour building and Flying instructor route. fortunately I'm retired but I was also fortunate to be a A&C engineers that complimented my Flying license so I worked for a good few airlines but only one i have real affection for. Nowadays your looking at £100K or there abouts. Once your there, commercial flying is just taxi driving by another name..
Not Captain Tobias Wilcox is it?
I worked with him..he was a right coconut:D

Last edited:
Cost me neck end of £50K at the time and that was going the long route.. hour building and Flying instructor route. fortunately I'm retired but I was also fortunate to be a A&C engineers that complimented my Flying license so I worked for a good few airlines but only one i have real affection for. Nowadays your looking at £100K or there abouts. Once your there, commercial flying is just taxi driving by another name..

I worked with him..he was a right coconut:D
A little disappointing to see a fellow professional pilot speak in such terms about a highly rewarding, responsible and challenging career.....

Must be well into the thousands if he's flying 787s.

On another note, a pilot will spend a lot of time in bed in the cockpit, does this count as flight time, like from a CV perspective?
I thought we'd established you know nowt on this subject matter?

Cockpits must have got a bit bigger since i was last in one.
I’m no spring chicken, been doing this over 30 years but still love it.
Haven't noticed you about for a while marra. Plenty of graft going on?

Last edited:
I thought we'd established you know nowt on this subject matter?

Cockpits must have got a bit bigger since i was last in one.

Haven't noticed you about for a while marra. Plenty of graft going on?
They have indeed dear boy, I have a king size Hypnos divan with drawers underneath to rest in on my way to Tenerife.

Not been very active on here much over last couple of years but lurked quietly.

Last edited:
They have indeed dear boy, I have a king size Hypnos divan with drawers underneath to rest in on my way to Tenerife.

Not been very active on here much over last couple of years but lurked quietly.
Gerrin. Should ask Boeing if they can install whirlpool baths on their next model. Large obviously, so the girls can join in.

Got a neighbour whos a pilot, looks a bairn, about 22 probably.
Often wonder where hes been flying each day while ive been designing f***ing aircon.

Back