How long does it take to train to be

I was talking to a commercial airline pilot a few weeks ago through my work - he was French, lovely charismatic bloke though.

A friend of mine is a captain for Tui based in Manchester. He's just recently been promoted from 737's to 787's. He only has to do 2 long haul flights a week insted of 2 short haul per day for 4 days in a row. His first flight as 787 captain was to Montego Bay on New Years Eve. Since then he's been to the Dominican Republic 3 times, Jamaica twice and is currently in Mexico. I think he's the captain of the Barbados flight from NCL later this month too.

I notice Ryanair will no longer be training British Pilots, only "individuals who hold an EU/EEA Passport with the unrestricted right to live and work in Europe."
Unleashing Britain's potential.
Can't blame them for that really.

Isn't @HillView Aviator an, erm, aviator?

Took a while to tag him. :lol: OP, you end up doing LOTS of unpaid work to get the hours up iirc. So not as cheap as you may expect.

My understanding is that is worse than unpaid, pilots graduating with some of the low cost airlines are actually paying to fly, not being paid for it.

Maybe the OP should become a Typhoon pilot instead.

A friend of mine is a captain for Tui based in Manchester. He's just recently been promoted from 737's to 787's. He only has to do 2 long haul flights a week insted of 2 short haul per day for 4 days in a row. His first flight as 787 captain was to Montego Bay on New Years Eve. Since then he's been to the Dominican Republic 3 times, Jamaica twice and is currently in Mexico. I think he's the captain of the Barbados flight from NCL later this month too.
Do you know how many hours flight time he has?

Sounds about as varied as driving to Asda every week and parking in a different bay

Back