How is your health kick going then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really?

I thought both were good for you?

Unless you're a professional athlete with a proper regime and diet to match, you don't need to go to the gym twice a day. 3/4 times a week of about 45 minutes challenging exercise each time combined with a healthy diet will be enough to lose weight then tone up. See someone else in this thread has pointed out, HIIT is where it's at. Anything else than that and you're wasting your time and potentially doing more harm than good.

Unless you're a professional athlete with a proper regime and diet to match, you don't need to go to the gym twice a day. 3/4 times a week of about 45 minutes challenging exercise each time combined with a healthy diet will be enough to lose weight then tone up. See someone else in this thread has pointed out, HIIT is where it's at. Anything else than that and you're wasting your time and potentially doing more harm than good.

Well that's bullshit too like. Without knowing his specific short term and long term goals, current regime, diet, injury history, etc etc etc you cannot definitively say it's "a waste of his time".

Could it be adjusted? Potentially? Could he benefit from both? Potentially? To completely dismiss the need for any cardio and simply state that HIIT will be sufficient is idiotic without a full assessment and discussion with the individual.

To highlight your first sentence, if someone doesn't have a specific requirement as in its their profession then let people do what they enjoy, if they want to discuss goal setting and programming to maximise performance and output then please have a little more respect and do it in a detailed, constructive manner backed up with facts and specifics.

I read it as doing both cardio and weights was a waste of time as they cancel each other out?

Doesn't sound right to me...

As above, it depends entirely on what your end goal is. It's part of a much bigger picture but for example, NFL, NRL, NHL players all have both as part of their programmes as it's essential. When someone says "cardio" most people think running for long periods or something similar which isn't the case.

Think of it more along the lines of what ratio or percentage you should dedicate to each to get to where you want to be.

Last edited:
Well that's bullshit too like. Without knowing his specific short term and long term goals, current regime, diet, injury history, etc etc etc you cannot definitively say it's "a waste of his time".

Could it be adjusted? Potentially? Could he benefit from both? Potentially? To completely dismiss the need for any cardio and simply state that HIIT will be sufficient is idiotic without a full assessment and discussion with the individual.

To highlight your first sentence, if someone doesn't have a specific requirement as in its their profession then let people do what they enjoy, if they want to discuss goal setting and programming to maximise performance and output then please have a little more respect and do it in a detailed, constructive manner backed up with facts and specifics.

Hark at her.

It's his time, he can do whatever he wants with it. I was just passing an opinion based on going to the gym, reading up on health and fitness stuff and watching what other people do with their different regimes.

You're right, it totally depends on what he wants to get from it and it was established earlier in the thread the lad I originally responded to was doing it just to keep himself busy.

I'm no expert but I've picked up a fair bit after going to the gym for about 15 years so I'm just passing on what works for me.

I'm certainly not gonna fuck about with facts and figures... Do whatever works for you. My experience is if you want to tone up and build muscle mass then HIIT is the most efficient way to do it. That's not bullshit as it works for me.

You angry fucker... :lol:

Hark at her.

It's his time, he can do whatever he wants with it. I was just passing an opinion based on going to the gym, reading up on health and fitness stuff and watching what other people do with their different regimes.

You're right, it totally depends on what he wants to get from it and it was established earlier in the thread the lad I originally responded to was doing it just to keep himself busy.

I'm no expert but I've picked up a fair bit after going to the gym for about 15 years so I'm just passing on what works for me.

I'm certainly not gonna fuck about with facts and figures... Do whatever works for you. My experience is if you want to tone up and build muscle mass then HIIT is the most efficient way to do it. That's not bullshit as it works for me.

You angry fucker... :lol:

Wasn't meant to sound angry but... :lol:;)

I read it as doing both cardio and weights was a waste of time as they cancel each other out?

Doesn't sound right to me...

I didn't mean don't mix cardio with weights, plenty do that run mint results.

I was referring to doing two sessions a day as your body needs to rest in order for you to get the most from it.

Wasn't meant to sound angry but... :lol:;)

Apology accepted... :lol:

To be fair I didn't mean to appear condescending to anyone I just think there's better things in life to be doing than slaving away at the gym when you can avoid it!

Last edited:
I didn't mean don't mix cardio with weights, plenty do that run mint results.

I was referring to doing two sessions a day as your body needs to rest in order for you to get the most from it.

Apology accepted... :lol:

To be fair I didn't mean to appear condescending to anyone I just think there's better things in life to be doing than slaving away at the gym when you can avoid it!
Some people like to spend all day in the gym as they don't have any mates to go to the pub with.

No booze, exercise going well....hardest part is eating better, suprising but my sweet tooth is the hardest to control. Hoping to run 500 miles this year, 10 miles per week minimum.

Train 6 days a week, 3 my usual weight training and 3 days cardio. Doing dry january also.
Jan 1st i was 16 stone 11
Jan 21st i was 15 stone 11

big weigh in tomorrow ,hopefully another few pound off. After my dry january the intention is to drink a lot less compared to what ive done over the last 10 year or so

Some people like to spend all day in the gym as they don't have any mates to go to the pub with.

it's a good place to go if you want to get out the house and have no mates available like. I bet half the people there aren't their for just fitness. Half the lasses in Puregym just gan to stare at the blokes.

we
Train 6 days a week, 3 my usual weight training and 3 days cardio. Doing dry january also.
Jan 1st i was 16 stone 11
Jan 21st i was 15 stone 11

big weigh in tomorrow ,hopefully another few pound off. After my dry january the intention is to drink a lot less compared to what ive done over the last 10 year or so

well done, good going that.

I feel I have more energy later through the day now like.

it's a good place to go if you want to get out the house and have no mates available like. I bet half the people there aren't their for just fitness. Half the lasses in Puregym just gan to stare at the blokes.

we

well done, good going that.

I feel I have more energy later through the day now like.

Only dropped another pound, 15 stone 10 now. Hoping this weeks weigh in is better like.

Was 82.6kg this morning (From 85kg+), trouble is, I cannot help drinking at the weekend, so yo-yo'ing at the moment. Basically get to the weekend circa 82kg, exit weekend back around 84kg, just need some self control with the beer.

Lost 6kg since Jan 3rd (started at 115.8kg). Only done a few 20-30 min slow runs on the treadmill and 1 or 2 light weight sessions a week - mainly because it keeps me wanting to eat better.

Eat mainly meats from butchers and get a fruit/veg/salad box every week. No counting calories but only having these in stops us eating crap.

Cut takeaways right back. I've had one macds this year. I used to have about 3 a week at one time.

Getting to the end of week 5 of C25K today, running 8 minute blocks without too much trouble. Covering about 2.5 miles of mixed running and walking.

Walking between 15- 20 miles a week.

Apart from 1 weekend been booze free.

Only 1 tkeaway this year so far.

Still a fat get.

Bloody hell. Just discovered last session of week 5 of C25K is a 20 minute run bookended with 5 minute walks. Managed 2.9 miles in the 30 minutes, so should be on track for a 5k run soon. Bloody knackered

Last edited:
Just started yesterday. I am 5'10" and 13 stone exactly. I want to get to about 11st 7lbs I think then maintain (Will play it by ear based on what I look and feel like). First run in about 3 years yesterday. I managed 3 miles in 30 minutes which I didn't think was too bad. My aim is to get out atleast 3 times a week and eventually be running 10k atleast one of those times. I currently drink too much and eat too many takeaways so looking to cut down on those aswell as being more careful with my portion sizes. Will see how I get on.

There's nothing more difficult in the world than given up takeaways. Needs to be recognised as an addiction with rehab offered. You drug addicts and alchies have it easy

I only order takeaways if I am having a drink so cutting down on the booze is the key to me cutting down on takeaways. Need to have a 'couple' of beers once a week rather than a 'few' twice a week. Could probably knock about 3000 calories a week off straight away there.

Some good results in this thread like!
Routine and preparation is key I find.

Routine is what I struggle with with shifts and a bairn. Another bairn on the way anarl.:lol:

Getting to the end of week 5 of C25K today, running 8 minute blocks without too much trouble. Covering about 2.5 miles of mixed running and walking.

Walking between 15- 20 miles a week.

Apart from 1 weekend been booze free.

Only 1 tkeaway this year so far.

Still a fat get.

Bloody hell. Just discovered last session of week 5 of C25K is a 20 minute run bookended with 5 minute walks. Managed 2.9 miles in the 30 minutes, so should be on track for a 5k run soon. Bloody knackered

It sounds daft mate but once you can run that 5k in say 30 mins you will find that your times get alot quicker and you will be comfortable upping your distance too.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTW
Just started yesterday. I am 5'10" and 13 stone exactly. I want to get to about 11st 7lbs I think then maintain (Will play it by ear based on what I look and feel like). First run in about 3 years yesterday. I managed 3 miles in 30 minutes which I didn't think was too bad. My aim is to get out atleast 3 times a week and eventually be running 10k atleast one of those times. I currently drink too much and eat too many takeaways so looking to cut down on those aswell as being more careful with my portion sizes. Will see how I get on.

It sounds daft mate but once you can run that 5k in say 30 mins you will find that your times get alot quicker and you will be comfortable upping your distance too.

I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed getting back into running. I used to run regularly when I was younger, but haven't ran regularly for nearly 30 years.

I actualy wake up looking forward to going for a run. It's probably easier for me now as my kids are all grown up just about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back