How Humanist Are You?

I'm an atheist but me nanna was a humanist and got buried under a tree with a nice man saying there ahe goes, under a tree, there's a spread on at the club and a free bar for an hour. The spread was average.
Quick edit: the spread included the fish man coming round for half an hour gratis. So was actually a cracking spread. If you liked mussels. I like mussels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he did, along with many other people. The reason it's mentioned is it is spot on, although people of different religions seem to be finding solace with each other as more people turn their backs on religion. Among the religious, it's almost like it is more acceptable to believe in a different religion than none at all. Atheists are the objects of their ire, not non christians, non muslims etc.

Out of curiosity, can you show me evidence of that?
FWIW, I'm a humanist, but I respect people's beliefs - so long as they don't impinge on mine, or affect the rights of others - human or animal.

I'm an atheist but me nanna was a humanist and got buried under a tree with a nice man saying there ahe goes, under a tree, there's a spread on at the club and a free bar for an hour. The spread was average.
Quick edit: the spread included the fish man coming round for half an hour gratis. So was actually a cracking spread. If you liked mussels. I like mussels.

Incredible post :lol:
Worthy of @Pell

Out of curiosity, can you show me evidence of that?
FWIW, I'm a humanist, but I respect people's beliefs - so long as they don't impinge on mine, or affect the rights of others - human or animal.
Here are just two examples:

Today's atheists are bullies -- and they are doing their best to intimidate the rest of us into silence

Egypt considers outlawing atheism and is already arresting nonbelievers

It seems that to the extreme christians and muslims, the focus now isn't mainly those of other religious persuasions, rather those of no religion at all.

Here are just two examples:

Today's atheists are bullies -- and they are doing their best to intimidate the rest of us into silence

Egypt considers outlawing atheism and is already arresting nonbelievers

It seems that to the extreme christians and muslims, the focus now isn't mainly those of other religious persuasions, rather those of no religion at all.

The fact that some countries are persecuting atheists just shows how backward a place is.
I've known some militant atheists mind you and they piss me off as much as street preachers.

Yes. You don't believe in God or religion. Well done. What do you want? A f***ing medal? Get over yourself.

The fact that some countries are persecuting atheists just shows how backward a place is.
I've known some militant atheists mind you and they piss me off as much as street preachers.
Like who? Can you give me an example?

Yes. You don't believe in God or religion. Well done. What do you want? A f***ing medal? Get over yourself.
:lol: FFS, calm down! You started a thread - are people not allowed to comment on it?

Like who? Can you give me an example?

I can but you don't know either of them so it wouldn't really help. One was a fundraiser I used to know who worked for a meningitis charity. He actually stopped collecting to "debate" with some kids handing out Christian flyers or something in Weymouth.
He was a bit of a tit to be honest.

The other one can be or could be - he may have dialed it back a bit - quite smug and condescending about it.

:lol: FFS, calm down! You started a thread - are people not allowed to comment on it?

When I'm Tyrant, I'll make those decisions :lol:

I can but you don't know either of them so it wouldn't really help. One was a fundraiser I used to know who worked for a meningitis charity. He actually stopped collecting to "debate" with some kids handing out Christian flyers or something in Weymouth.

The other one can be or could be - he may have dialed it back a bit - quite smug and condescending about it.
Some people can be arseholes, religious or not.

Some people can be arseholes, religious or not.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Good Omens

When I'm Tyrant, I'll make those decisions :lol:
What did the flyers say, like?

How convenient. So do you remember what his debate with the kid focused on?

Just being honest man. I didn't get involved.
As he was, he just went over to them and started asking them, why they're doing what they're doing when there's no proof of God yadda yadda...
He was a bit of a dick about it to be honest - especially considering that's not what we were meant to be doing at the time

As he was, he just went over to them and started asking them, why they're doing what they're doing when there's no proof of God yadda yadda...
He was a bit of a dick about it to be honest - especially considering that's not what we were meant to be doing at the time
Guess it depends what the flyers said.

You have a point if you were meant to be doing something else at the time, but do you not think religious people handing leaflets out on the street are fair game for people to ask them to justify their beliefs and debate with them?

If they don't like confrontation when doing it, they could always just stop at home and practice their religion instead of trying to convert people.

Not sure what the answer should be to the following question?
1 - is just wrong.
2&4 - suggest a god, which is just wrong.

This just leaves answer 3, which I went for, but not sure my carnivore tendencies are that respectful.

Other animals should be treated...
  • Kindly because they are sweet and fluffy and nicer than people.
  • With respect because they are part of God's creation.
  • With respect because they can suffer too.
  • However we see fit. They don't have souls and were created for us to use.

Back