How Green Are You?

There are things I know I could do better like eating less meat, not holidaying abroad and driving my big diesel truck.

The meat part is the one I plan to work on most because although I won't go vegetarian, my family and me could easily do without beef and lamb for the most part.

The driving part is the hardest because I work all over the UK.
SoCal has a horrible public transportation system so I have to drive pretty much everywhere as well. I took public transit to an LAFC game and what should be a 40 minute commute took me nearly 2 hours just with all the bus transfers I had to do. That's why everyone drives here and why our traffic is so bad.

Try to be as green as possible.

Run or ride to work the majority of the time
Recycle
Don't use plastic bags
Have kitted the house out with smart meters and hive to keep it as efficient as possible
Switched diesel to small engined petrol
Most clothes get worn to destruction or to charity bin
Food wastage is minimal
Reduced meat consumption
Try to book supermarket delivery when van is in the area
Led bulbs
New boiler
Boil just enough water in the kettle
Have the minimum amount of hot water in tank
Get fresh food locally
Plugs get switched off
Low temperature washes
No tumble
Compost heap

Small things but if we all did them it'd add up. Could always do more.

what's your new boiler called?

you’re right. But then there will be another ice age where Northern Europe is under several meters of ice within 5000 years so nowt to worry about really.
We haven't came out of the current one yet mate :lol:. This is just a temporary warming known as an interglacial.

SoCal has a horrible public transportation system so I have to drive pretty much everywhere as well. I took public transit to an LAFC game and what should be a 40 minute commute took me nearly 2 hours just with all the bus transfers I had to do. That's why everyone drives here and why our traffic is so bad.
I've been through south California on a coach mate. I don't envy anyone driving there.

Last edited:
We haven't came out of the current one yet mate :lol:. This is just a temporary warming known as an interglacial.

I've been through south California on a coach mate. I don't envy anyone driving there.
There's a freeway called the 405 and the joke here is that it's called that because it takes you 4 or 5 hours to get anywhere on it.

Grow my own fruit and veg. Live on an olive grove so harvest for olive oil. Gave up driving a year ago. Largely plant based diet. Recycle and dress from charity shops. Don't buy anything unless it supports what lm trying to do. Such a smug bastard me. Oh and solar panels. But lm a baby boomer who can manage on my pensions and save 250 euros a month. I do my best and don't feel guilty. Just sad when l see a world that is completely utterly unsustainabley fucked

Grow my own fruit and veg. Live on an olive grove so harvest for olive oil. Gave up driving a year ago. Largely plant based diet. Recycle and dress from charity shops. Don't buy anything unless it supports what lm trying to do. Such a smug bastard me. Oh and solar panels. But lm a baby boomer who can manage on my pensions and save 250 euros a month. I do my best and don't feel guilty. Just sad when l see a world that is completely utterly unsustainabley fucked
It's you oil producers causing the problems :evil:

Had some people in my house tonight. All anti environmentalists. The amount of mess we've caused is staggering. Burnt a load of tyres in the garden to keep warm, every discarded beer can was used as an ashtray, plus I emptied the deep fat frier into next door's pond before making chips for all my guests.

Back