How good is the British navy?

Definitely one of the leading naval powers in the world but let’s not kid ourselves, the Americans spend more on their military than something like the next 20 countries combined. In terms of sheer numbers, they’d batter us.

I’m sure we’d be favourites in our own weight class, so to speak

It's a good job we're their bitch, I'd rather be America's 51(2nd)st state than part of the EU in the current geopolitical climate. At least if war did break out we could send our refugees to somewhere they might be safer, don't think continental Europe is as safe as the Americas (Halford Mackinder geographical pivot of history) :lol:

Last edited:
I don't know enough to give a realistic view. Is the hardware, ships, etc. as good as other navies?

When I've seen tv programmes about the RN they always seem pretty competent but, as I say, I really have no idea about what other countries have in terms of navies. I would guess the USA, Russia and China all have larger navies?

I don't know enough to give a realistic view. Is the hardware, ships, etc. as good as other navies?

When I've seen tv programmes about the RN they always seem pretty competent but, as I say, I really have no idea about what other countries have in terms of navies. I would guess the USA, Russia and China all have larger navies?
Yep and from what's available publicly I'd say it's a tossup between China and the USA for tech, imo at least. Ofcourse you can never really say for certain even people in the know will struggle to say for certain... the arms races never stopped they just moved to different spheres like in places most of us would consider weren't necessarily instruments of war i.e computers.

The "largest" navy by vessels is North Korea iirc. Iran is summat like 4th. Mostly green water though. China has a few but again, mainly green water. The Russian navy is full of ancient widow-makers. Only one aircraft carrier which is due to be retired if it doesn't sink first. The last I heard there was no plans to replace it.

Back