How does your outlook on lockdown correlate with your personal financial situation?

On the fence. Can see pros and cons of a lockdown.

I've lost a lot of income this year already through shielding. I'm getting by but concerned.

I'm another lucky one who can work from home and not impacted financially. I hate the commute to work so not having to do it is a big bonus for me.

As for lockdown I wouldnt like to see everything close again unless absolutely necessary for the NHS. Social distancing comes naturally to me so it wouldn't effect me personally if we did but I'd hate to see more businesses fold and people out of work.

I'm better off financially in the current situation - my job is secure, I'm WFH for the foreseeable and I'm not pissing away a small fortune on travel costs every week.

I would scrap all these restrictions and go back to normal tomorrow if I could. I know many people who are not in the same boat as me and are struggling financially and worried about losing their job - I would prefer to help them and the economic situation of the country as a whole over me saving a few quid.

I was working from home in initial lockdown but left that job and awaiting start date on new job which will be working from an office. Been waiting 6 weeks and it keeps getting delayed, possibly due to situation, so have nothing coming in and dont qualify for any help at all.
I'm undecided.

On a side note alot of my friends are self employed and obviously against lockdown due to no pay if they can't work.

Working from home and have been since march living alone so have found the whole thing pretty tough as am use to beinv in an office full of people every day even if i didnt see family or friends for at least a week at a time. My mental health was bad before but has really suffered. Financially i should be better off but became slightly addicted to online shopping so now have a pile of crap i dont really need and no money. Am been made redundant in january but that was on the cards long b4 covid hit and wasnt really worried about it before but starting to stress now as not sure how hard its going to be to find a new job with everything thats going on. Really dont want amy further restrictions and tbh would like to see a lot of them lifted

In our place the bubbles are around 300 for each year group (give or take).

What’s the point in the 6 rule when kids can near enough go about life as usual, well unless they’re not at school that is.

300, we might as well just lift all restrictions the use they will be with that figure.

It’s not that though it’s the piss heads to blame.

Lucky that my job is secure and it had no impact on my income.

During first lock down saved on gym fees (which actually given a choice I’d have kept paying to support the business because I’ve had more than my money’s worth out of it over the years) and on me sky bill.

WFH but I don’t have a long journey anyway and was still doing visits to families so not a lot of difference there.

Probably saved on clothes, just seemed pointless buying any with no where to go and, I haven’t really bought any since lock down finished, (two pair of pjs 🤣🤣) because I had stuff I’d bought and never worn before lock down. So probably saved money on shoes, clothes and boots 🙈

If I hadn’t been moving I’d probably definitely have saved money but bought quite a bit of new stuff for the house, though can’t pretend I haven’t had lots of help from me mam.

Restrictions wise, I live by myself and I’m lucky that I enjoy my own company, I have got the best mates, but we don’t see each other every week, what I hated was having the control over when we could see each other taken away.

I hated not being able to go to the gym, hate running outside but some of the beautiful mornings helped me to do it. If they close the gyms now I know I won’t go for a run and so I do worry about that.

My Aunty was diagnosed with terminal cancer beginning of March, just before it all kicked off, and like everyone else with family in care homes, we couldn‘t see her for months. She died beginning of August and I’m so grateful we were allowed in the week before she died, me Mam was distraught enough (her last of 7 siblings) but I can’t imagine if she’d not been able to be there.

As me mam is vulnerable I saw her all the way through, taking her shopping etc, it was different to how I’d normally see her, no kisses or hugs but better than most had it.

I never intended that to be such a long post 🙈 I suppose it was a bit therapeutic in short I’m sure a lot of people suffered and were worse off than me, because overall I was lucky I came out of it pretty much unscathed either financially or emotionally,

Job not directly affected and seemingly secure, but long term who knows if the economy tanks what the unforeseen knock on effects will be. Much prefer WFH and tbh, quite liked how quiet things were during the last lockdown. Missed having a social life though.

I'm semi-retired and my wife retires this month so a further lockdown would not impact us financially but it would stop us enjoying our retirement. We have had to cancel 4 holidays this year.

I just want the govt to get it right and fight this virus the best way we can.. Our income is well down at the moment and will nosedive even further in the event of a full lockdown.
I worry more about my family and their job prospects than I do ours, especially our daughter who is a single parent with a mortgage working in the tourism sector.

Apart from saving the NHS i think we should get back to fewer restrictions and try to live with the virus, even if social distancing and masks need to be worn when in close proximity. I do appreciate that if you have lost someone to the virus you might think differently.
No financial impact as have continued working, so lucky there. Job should be safe.
Personal impact is travel restrictions. Have family abroad that we can't see. They can't travel here, we can't go there. Also no house mingling ( tier 2) so can't see family here either. Following the rules.

Job unaffected. My attitude to lockdown is that it's just one tool in a toolbox, but when it's used on a national scale, and it will be, it should always be accompanied by a functioning test, track and isolation system. And this requires financial measures to sufficiently cushion the blow on affected industries and people because that's how you make it work.

Unfortunately the government is pulling in two contradictory directions and hasn't got a f***ing clue what it's doing, so they'll probably lockdown without the measures, it'll not work, they'll burn up any remaining trust from the public and even more people will die on top of the disgraceful pile of unnecessary deaths that can be chalked up to their historic incompetence.

Morning!

Not directly affected financially by lockdown but think if we are to do them, they should be planned and short 2/3 weeks and everyone locked down (schools included). Have one every 3 months if needed until we have a plan.

This would give businesses time to plan around those 2/3 weeks and then everyone can just crack on with everything after the lockdown.

All this covid hockey cokey, 1 foot in and then 1 foot out approach is crippling business.

My partner and I are both teachers, so financially lockdown doesn't have/hasn't had an effect.

I'd go full lockdown for a while.

Back