How Do You Put It Right

Obvious answer is a takeover but that is pie in the sky.

Currently I think we can use the relegation to get rid of some of the players hanging on to us as they are what is dragging us down. Next season under Coleman back to basics with bairns. Promote hardwork and graft and earn our way back up. May take a few seasons but a confidence gaining promotion could see us get a good run in the Championship.
I think this is about right. I also feel that we should try and give it a bloody go, in the meantime. Sitting back and (inevitably) conceding/losing is doing nobody any good. But a win or two would be good for morale, at least.

Sold Charlie Austin to pay the club's debts, signed Tom Heaton, Scott Arfield and David Jones on free transfers, and crucially appointed Sean Dyche.

And then in the Premier, we didn't spend fortunes to try and stop up. There's only 4 ways to play it - spend fortunes and stay up; spend fortunes and go down; spend little and stay up; spend little and go down. Only one of those choices leads to your sort of trouble - all the others are more or less sustainable. Your bosses chose the wrong one, unfortunately.

It's no help whatsoever to your current position, but Burnley's magic solution started with solvency.

Agreed. You've got to live within your means no matter what but were you bigging up your club's prudence when you were relegated in 2010 and 2015, or were you annoyed at their refusal to spend?

It needs a new owner and investment in the 1st team squad. It’s utterly shit. We need to stabilise before we can start moving it in the right direction. Providing there is a new owner in place attempt to change the whole spine of the side. 7 players. Try and get the bulk of them from the championship 28-29 year olds who have played most their careers at that level, physical presence is a must. Suplment it with the young lads and no more f***ing loans.

Agreed. You've got to live within your means no matter what but were you bigging up your club's prudence when you were relegated in 2010 and 2015, or were you annoyed at their refusal to spend?
Mixed bag. Personally, I was happy enough because we made a profit of £30m - and we could have gone for broke and spent the lot, and still gone down. We went up via a close knit squad with no megastars, and signing new players on significantly bigger wages the ones we already had would have risked damaging the squad ethos. Other people were annoyed by the lack of spending, but the level of season ticket retentions the following year suggests that they were a minority.

In 2010, TV money was much less (about £40m, I think) and we spent a lot of it; then spent the balance and all the parachute money on trying to get back. With the result that we had a decent squad (Ings and Vokes, for example) when Eddie Howe left, but no cash left - hence the free transfers. And if anyone has ever signed a better trio of free transfers than Heaton, Arfield, and Jones, I'd be interested to see it! It was a bit of a perfect storm really - Dyche, the free transfers, the squad already in existence, and we won a totally unexpected promotion with a side expected to battle relegation. It isn't something that any club including ourselves could expect to repeat on demand.

What did Burnley do? They seem to have a magic formula for "success".

Simple really...a manager who understands his club, signs appropriate players and is excellent at identifying, motivating and supporting the players he signs. I could say industrial town, the grim North blah blah blah but we all know that.

Team spirit. Only a few of these seem to have it, so probably more youngsters, more locals and fewer loans. We need to see some fight and determination from all players all of the time.

No piss-heads. You must be fit every game. Get rid of known piss-heads, vet potential recruits and monitor every player routinely.

Get 2 keepers who can be relied on to do the basics, ffs.

No stupid contracts like Rodwell or Steele (4 years!)

Most of all we need a new owner of course...

This actually backs up what he said. He was talking about Scots in general so he he is the perfect example. I know he was a cracking player but it seems he feels, in today's game, he'd be unable to compete on the same level.

Environment, practice and passion for the game are all very well but if two players both have those, except one is naturally taller, faster and stronger, then he will of course have the advantage. Sometimes though, regardless of physique or genetics, some players just have a natural talent or a special footballing brain. Unfortunately these players are few and far between and certainly out of our range.

And why are northeast footballers supposed to be genetically inferior to those from the northwest, midlands or south coast?

Sounds like bollox to me.

Team selection is in the managers hands so get that right to try and get us safe. The rest we are praying that someone wants the club .

Team for the rest of the season ...

Stryjek

Love Kone Wilson Oviedo

McNair

Gooch Honeyman McGeady

Asoro Lua Lua

We cannot defend so let's just fcukin go for it and see what happens!!
You have included a few crocks there that wont manage 5 games between them

I think that we all knew deep down that even going back 4 year we needed a rebuild, our wage bill was £80m and we weren't getting value for that. And let's be honest, for a club like us who is always close to premier league relegation, an in-situ rebuild was not going to happen and survive at the same time.

Anyway it's even worse now, we are league 1 bound.

So we might as well rebaseline the wage bill to effectively zero and start fresh, combined with a clear the debt using the the parachute payments.

It would give us a good start again platform for the next 10 years.

But it would likely mean wilderness for two years and I'm not convinced the fans can accept that even if it meant properly sorting the club out for the current and next generation.

Pace, power, workrate, high press, high defensive line.
The fans would come streaming back if we actually tried a positive style of play.
If we pressed like Liverpool the stadium would be rocking.
Get the fans back on side and the rest will follow.

First step has to be a new owner who can make everyone believe he's going to do all he can to improve things.
This change of attitude will boost everyone.

If this owner is actually good at being an owner (I know, I know), etc etc

When we nearly went out of business we got a strong manager in who wanted players to do exactly as he told them (Bruce Rioch)

We had a very young squad otherwise he wouldn't have been able to do it. The backbone of them team were local lads 3 of them went on to play for England. (Pallister Cooper and Ripley ) .

The effect the local lads had on the team spirit and bonding with the fans propelled us up again into the Top League the following season.

I think it's the only way out for any team with financial restrictions.

Good post and the right answer in my opinion.

God knows how we put this right!

First things first, we need rid of anyone on a decent wage. Especially Rodwell (not going to happen), Cattermole (unlikely) and Kone (he'll probably go but we'll probably be subsidising his new wage). You'd imagine we'll get takers for McGeady (for nowt) and Oviedo.

We need to try and help hold of Asoro, convince him that a season of football is better than a move which might see him marginalised. Risk with that of course is we might lose him for next to nowt at the end of next season, if an offer is big enough he'll sadly have to go.

We need to hope Watmore can get and stay fit. He won't be going anywhere in the summer, no one will risk it, we need to hope he doesn't break down again. Him and Asoro should terrorise league one sides.

We then need to trust a few of the young lads. Only thing is though, we can't afford a physically weak side, and that's always a risk with the young players. We also need a spine of experienced, physical, nasty bastards. They can take the hits (and give them out) and give protection to the decent young lads we play. At least one big beast centre back, a hard as fuck centre mid, a physical presence up front. I'm convinced if we had that this season we'd have had a better chance of staying up.

That gives us the younguns who will be enthusiastic and wanting to succeed, the nasty bastards who are committed by default and, if it is Coleman in charge, hopefully he can get a good spirit among them. We definitely need character and physicality though, with just a little sprinkling of skill and pace.

Do that, bring the debt down, refinance it, get a few wins, get the fans interested again and then, even if we don't go up, we'll be in a decent place for the start of the last year of parachute payments

Jimmy Sinclair said we are going to scout local. Gordon Strachan said local is genetically inferior. Bain cut the scouting network as it was too expensive c£800k a year. Might explain old boy Jimmy's stance? So do you think Jimmy's right?
God forbid that anyone should accuse Gordon Strachan of talking through his tiny backside, but Burnley's last Championship winning side (1960) included among the 12 regulars:

John Angus, right back, Amble Northumberland
Tommy Cummings, centre half, Castledown Sunderland
Jimmy Adamson, left half, Ashington Northumberland
Ray Pointer, centre forward, Cramlington Northumberland
Jimmy Robson, inside forward, Pelton Co. Durham.

Plus a couple of Scots for good measure, Adam Blacklaw (goal) and Bobby Seith (right half).

And you wouldn't mess with any of them! And if he's still not convinced, a meeting with Brian O'Neill (Bedlington) and Andy Lochhead (another Scot) might show him the error of his ways.

Genetics haven't changed, because by definition genetics don't. North East footballers were what Burnley's success was built on.

God forbid that anyone should accuse Gordon Strachan of talking through his tiny backside, but Burnley's last Championship winning side (1960) included among the 12 regulars:

John Angus, right back, Amble Northumberland
Tommy Cummings, centre half, Castledown Sunderland
Jimmy Adamson, left half, Ashington Northumberland
Ray Pointer, centre forward, Cramlington Northumberland
Jimmy Robson, inside forward, Pelton Co. Durham.

Plus a couple of Scots for good measure, Adam Blacklaw (goal) and Bobby Seith (right half).

And you wouldn't mess with any of them! And if he's still not convinced, a meeting with Brian O'Neill (Bedlington) and Andy Lochhead (another Scot) might show him the error of his ways.

Genetics haven't changed, because by definition genetics don't. North East footballers were what Burnley's success was built on.
1960? FFS that was nearly 60 years ago. Fair play you've got a good memory mate.

Last edited:

Back