How cold is your house at night

I could do with some thick curtains for the front and back doors, and also my sitting room to try and deal with the worst of the draughts tbh :neutral:.
Hopefully your front and back doors are a standard size, as well as the sitting room windows, then you’ll be able to get something ready made.

It’s like the house that twat built here. Ours are an awkward size so had to be made to measure. The first quote was eye watering, but we found a seamstress who’s made/making them for less than half the original quote.

Never drops below 18 degrees, all thermostats set to that 24/7. Knock the lounge up a couple of degrees when the bairns are here.
I have my bedroom window open all year round, I can't bear a stuffy room. I also have a fan on full blast about an inch away from my pillow. It's the only way I can sleep (I also have a hot water bottle mind and winter duvet). The heating comes on for a couple of hours through the night just cos I don't want my kids to freeze.
Oh our heating has been on 24/7 lately. I hate the idea of having to layer up in your own house, if we can comfortably afford to pay the bill then we will be comfortably warm all winter. Nothing worse than not wanting to get out of bed because your house is freezing, especially for young uns getting up for school.
Three people trying to blame their fannyness on the bairns. :lol: Bairns don't feel the cold like older people do man!

Three people trying to blame their fannyness on the bairns. :lol: Bairns don't feel the cold like older people do man!

There's nowt macho about seeing who can cope with the cold best.
When I was kid I always remember being huddled round the fire when we got up as every other room was freezing. I'd rather my kids were warm and comfy and in the process I am too. I hate the cold, if that makes me a fanny then I'd rather be a warm fanny :lol:

I have the daily thermostat war with the wife.

19 degrees max for me. She ramps it up to 25/26 degrees. It’s like a sauna.

The central heating in our house is really loud. Boiler is only 5 years old but it makes some racket when it’s on

our heating is set to 23 degrees during th day and 19 on a night. The bill will be ridiculous no doubt as the boiler never seems to be off.

There's nowt macho about seeing who can cope with the cold best.
When I was kid I always remember being huddled round the fire when we got up as every other room was freezing. I'd rather my kids were warm and comfy and in the process I am too. I hate the cold, if that makes me a fanny then I'd rather be a warm fanny :lol:

My Grans was like that. She would only put the fire on in the sitting room and not heat any other room. She used to shove the sofa forward so you were almost sitting on the hearth, then the room chilled every time someone opened the door to go to the toilet or into the kitchen. They could have afforded to put the heating on, but chose to live like that!

Freezing, but only because I don’t like the central heating on overnight. It goes on about 5:30am to take the chill off for the bairn going to work.

I have had the heating on during the day for the past couple of days as it’s been really col d but normally a thick jumper and a blanket keep me warm while I’m sitting around.

We got new doors and windows when we moved in- wehave bedroom in loft and i think the insulation must be old or thin- the living gets nice at 22 degrees but once heating off it drops to 15 in an hour - can you get people who an visit and assess where and why the heat drops so quick and maybe have those machines yhat show where the heat is leaking out?

Likewise, when I go into some of these overheated office buildings, I cannot wait to get back outside again.
Surely it can’t be healthy when you have at some stage to adjust to outside temperatures.

For much the same reason I’m not keen on aircon in the house in Spain.
It’s a bugger going outside after that and having to adjust to 35 or 40c.

We are fine in bed as double blanket on but if you need the toilet its a crazy hobble to the bathroom through the ice air

Last edited:
Was 15.5C according to the thermostat when I got up at 5. Turned the heating on tbh :oops:, starting to morph into our lass, I feel the cold on a morning now.

Banked the fire up last night at bedtime and lovely and warm when I surfaced this morning....just shoved a log on. Worried about my caravan though....should have drained it down on Sunday.:neutral:

Why mate?
Because they are lazy arses. Both said they were going to do them in their own home but decided not to due to cost - but as said perhaps it was more because they couldn't be arsed.

I'm sure there are some decent independent reviews of initial outlay vs long term cost and how good they are vs radiators. To me getting rid of a radiator is a great benefit though.

Big initial outlay is putting me off as work I want to do is costing enough.

Back