How can I speed up slow internet in my house?

FReaK

Striker
I'm with the Post Office and the modem is in the kitchen.

I bought one of those little BT plug in things and attached on I the lounge but the signal and speed it still shit.

What can I buy to improve it?

All kinds to consider - what speed does your provider guarantee? Then can you move the router closer to where you use it most? Is your router any good? Is there anything that could interfere with the signal? How many people use it concurrently?

I would speak to your provider who can go through all of this and test your line.

All kinds to consider - what speed does your provider guarantee? Then can you move the router closer to where you use it most? Is your router any good? Is there anything that could interfere with the signal? How many people use it concurrently?

I would speak to your provider who can go through all of this and test your line.
I'll do that. Cheer mate.

Install the Speedtest app and check your download speed. If it’s crap (i.e. nowhere near the speeds you are supposed to have) call them a kick up a stink. That’s what I did with Sky - they told me there was nothing wrong with my connection (my phone’s 4G was faster than my broadband) so I switched to Virgin and had lightning fast connection.

Install the Speedtest app and check your download speed. If it’s crap (i.e. nowhere near the speeds you are supposed to have) call them a kick up a stink. That’s what I did with Sky - they told me there was nothing wrong with my connection (my phone’s 4G was faster than my broadband) so I switched to Virgin and had lightning fast connection.

This can be done online also IMSC.

My 4G gives me around 40mb my home fibre BB gives around 13mb. It's a joke really advertising up to 35mb and you get a third of that. They get away with it though with those magic words "up to".

1 - Is your router connected to the main BT phone socket?
2 - Is the BT phone socket a dual (one for phone, one for modem), if not, do you have a splitter attached?
3 - Find out what issue you actually have
3a - Slow internet connection
OR
3b - Slow internal network speed

to find out, connect your laptop directly into the back of the router with an ethernet cable, and google speedtest. Run a few tests and report back on your speeds

Also, install the speedtest app on your phone. Do a couple of tests with the phone near the router, then a few tests in other places around the house. See if the results vary.

Once we know the issue, we can advise further mate.

Download more RAM
I tried that but mostly got sheep.

1 - Is your router connected to the main BT phone socket?
2 - Is the BT phone socket a dual (one for phone, one for modem), if not, do you have a splitter attached?
3 - Find out what issue you actually have
3a - Slow internet connection
OR
3b - Slow internal network speed

to find out, connect your laptop directly into the back of the router with an ethernet cable, and google speedtest. Run a few tests and report back on your speeds

Also, install the speedtest app on your phone. Do a couple of tests with the phone near the router, then a few tests in other places around the house. See if the results vary.

Once we know the issue, we can advise further mate.
He's already sorted it with an extra payment of a quid a month for fibre.

Back