How Can Anyone Be An Atheist?

Let it go man its obviously eating you up. :) If people want to believe and you choose not to whats the problem.

There are some serious problems with it as far as I'm concerned.

Climate change for a start. If you believe that the human race is in some way special, that the Earth was created for us to live on, then it would seem absurd that we could find ourselves in a situation where that planet could become uninhabitable by humans. Why would God allow the whole human race to die out? If enough people believe it, particularly people in power, then nothing will get done to change it and we'll go extinct.

Then there's vaccination. To rid ourselves of diseases for which we have vaccines, there's a threshold percentage of the population that would need to be vaccinated otherwise the disease will continue to spread. A belief that God will heal the righteous and that putting things into the body rather than trusting in God shows a lack of faith can lead to large numbers of people not taking the vaccine. The problem here is that with every vaccine there are people that won't be able to take it for genuine medical reasons, and these people will be put at greater risk of death by people who could take it choosing not to.

Religious belief is seriously f***ing dangerous to the continued existence of the human race. It's utterly irresponsible to close our eyes to this side of it and assume we'll be fine because God made us and the world and around us, has a plan, and one day will scoop up the righteous and take them to heaven for eternity.

Well I suppose it is a question of personal restraint. Not imposing your own concepts onto your children. Concepts come from the mind, not the heart, yet the Christian religion states that it is the heart that matters and in that regard maybe we should try to learn from children rather than teach them our own concepts from the mind, what we think but don't really know.

Unless you become as little children, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven .....ask and it shall be given, the man said.

It's the same with Hinduism as Krishna is quoted as saying:

With the heart of a child, without cheat or deceit, ask and it shall be revealed.

Which brings me back to the quote I posted:

There is a young baby and a three year old in a room. The three year old says to the baby, "Tell me about heaven again, I'm starting to forget".

I think anyone sincere about religion realises as an adult it is more about unlearning the crap that we have filled our heads with over the years, rather than teaching that crap to our children.

If a child was born on an island and never taught religious concepts, would that child be sadder as a result? Religion may make many people happy but it also really screws up many others in the head.

Don't forget...

Through the eyes of a child, the world seems magical. There's a sparkle in their eyes; they're yet to realise the darkness in their soul. The beauty of their smiles, adventurous and wild. Sure, life is kinda gay, but it doesn't seem that way through the eyes of a child.

Michael McDonald's song at the end of South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

There are some serious problems with it as far as I'm concerned.

Climate change for a start. If you believe that the human race is in some way special, that the Earth was created for us to live on, then it would seem absurd that we could find ourselves in a situation where that planet could become uninhabitable by humans. Why would God allow the whole human race to die out? If enough people believe it, particularly people in power, then nothing will get done to change it and we'll go extinct.

Then there's vaccination. To rid ourselves of diseases for which we have vaccines, there's a threshold percentage of the population that would need to be vaccinated otherwise the disease will continue to spread. A belief that God will heal the righteous and that putting things into the body rather than trusting in God shows a lack of faith can lead to large numbers of people not taking the vaccine. The problem here is that with every vaccine there are people that won't be able to take it for genuine medical reasons, and these people will be put at greater risk of death by people who could take it choosing not to.

Religious belief is seriously f***ing dangerous to the continued existence of the human race. It's utterly irresponsible to close our eyes to this side of it and assume we'll be fine because God made us and the world and around us, has a plan, and one day will scoop up the righteous and take them to heaven for eternity.
I have no strong views either way mate and whatever people think on the two sides of the arguement no one can honestly say they know for definitive.

My view is live and let live. If people have a faith fair enough, if they dont fair enough too.

The way the aethiests go on on here they are way way worse than any evangelical christian or similar I know.

Last edited:
Religion is bullshit, obviously. BUT, ask any physicist "Is there a god?" and 99% will answer "I don't know". Why? The more you look into science the weirder it becomes. Nothing makes sense. The Universe supposedly exploded into existence from nothing 14b years ago. How can everything have come from nothing, it literally goes against every scientific law and principle ever devised. The Universe MUST have an origin, no thing can come from nothing, but then again, that source must also have an origin. There can be no absolute beginning to "everything" because everything must have an origin, including the origin itself.

We live in a paradox. A big lovely brainfuck of a paradox.

Also, there's no proof of a god, but, equally, there's no proof that there isn't a god. Either way, believer or not, your belief is based on faith and faith alone. Atheists are just as bad as religious nuts in that they believe something for which they have no proof.

If anyone asks "Is there a god?" the ONLY correct answer is "I don't know".

Religion is bullshit, obviously. BUT, ask any physicist "Is there a god?" and 99% will answer "I don't know". Why? The more you look into science the weirder it becomes. Nothing makes sense. The Universe supposedly exploded into existence from nothing 14b years ago. How can everything have come from nothing, it literally goes against every scientific law and principle ever devised. The Universe MUST have an origin, no thing can come from nothing, but then again, that source must also have an origin. There can be no absolute beginning to "everything" because everything must have an origin, including the origin itself.

Also, there's no proof of a god, but, equally, there's no proof that there isn't a god. Either way, believer or not, your belief is based on faith and faith alone. Atheists are just as bad as religious nuts in that they believe something for which they have no proof.

No. The only correct response is "Define 'god' please".

Can you?

The way the aethiests go on on here they are way way worse than any evangelical christian or similar I know.
So people calling out religion as bullshit on here are way worse than evangelical christians telling people they are sinners and if they don't repent they are heading for eternal damnation? Evangelical christians that openly call for discrimination against certain minorities?

How did you work that out?

Remember people, atheists are bullies who want to silence everyone:

Disagree. But you're entitled to your opinion marra.

So people calling out religion as bullshit on here are way worse than evangelical christians telling people they are sinners and if they don't repent they are heading for eternal damnation? Evangelical christians that openly call for discrimination against certain minorities?

No. But people telling people who have lost their loved ones they are idiots for believing they will see them again definitely is.

Atheists don't believe in something for which they have no proof.

A focus on chrisitians though what about muslims, sikhs etc are they not fair game?

live and let live there are a lot more important things to worry about.

Disagree. But you're entitled to your opinion marra.

No. But people telling people who have lost their loved ones they are idiots for believing they will see them again definitely is.
So are theists who say that dogs don't go to heaven so, no, little child, you'll not be seeing old Shep again.

But then saying gran is looking down on you from heaven and smiling is little different to saying that Shep has gone to stay at a farm in the country.

A focus on chrisitians though what about muslims, sikhs etc are they not fair game?

live and let live there are a lot more important things to worry about.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

On threads about muslims, I get accused of only focusing on them and ignoring christians.

Yes, all the religions are fair game.

So are theists who say that dogs don't go to heaven so, no, little child, you'll not be seeing old Shep again.

But then saying gran is looking down on you from heaven and smiling is little different to saying that Shep has gone to stay at a farm in the country.

Agreed. Scum. Although I don't anyone who has told a child they won't see their pet again.

:) chill man. the way the atheists are ganin on like fannies on here they will find out soon enough if there is indeed a God or not.

Back