How big can a house spider grow?

I love House Spiders but I would not dare pick one up with my hands. Always use a container to put them outside.
I'd use a glass or mug plus paper at the time - I was only a kid. I still use a glass or mug unless it lands on my face in the middle of the night and i just react on auto ...

PS And I was the one with the right to be wary of spiders as I was bitten by one on Dartmoor. The bite swelled up and nacked like owt and everything.

Last edited:
Don't put them outside. They prefer to be inside.
To be honest, I leave them inside now. I have overcome my fear but if I see one in the sitting room, it stays but I hoy my feet up on the couch. :)
I'd use a glass or mug plus paper at the time - I was only a kid. I still use a glass or mug unless it lands on my face in the middle of the night and i just react on auto ...

PS And I was the one with the right to be wary of spiders as I was bitten by one on Dartmoor. The bite swelled up and nacked like owt and everything.
:eek:

I heard they only grow to about the size of a 10p coin, well that's bollocks because the one i spotted back of the bog was about the size of a cream egg, it actually looked like a cream egg with legs, it was probably female because they tend to be bigger and they lay their eggs around this time of year, thank fuck they only lay about three.

You've answered your own question. They are pretty much all over the place with their normal activity due to the weather. What you really need to watch out for is a mutant form. I had one in the loft, they'd developed the technique of jumping. I thought I'd put an end to the blood line, but no, they are back. Bizarre.

To be honest, I leave them inside now. I have overcome my fear but if I see one in the sitting room, it stays but I hoy my feet up on the couch. :)
:eek:
Aye. Our school had a summer camp down there and one of the activities was spending two days walking and camping across Dartmoor. First day of the walk I feel a bite on my arm so I look down and there's only a tiny spider scarcely larger than a money spider there. The place where I felt the bite then started to swell, go red and grow and grow. It took all my self control not to scratch the fucker.

I heard they only grow to about the size of a 10p coin, well that's bollocks because the one i spotted back of the bog was about the size of a cream egg, it actually looked like a cream egg with legs, it was probably female because they tend to be bigger and they lay their eggs around this time of year, thank fuck they only lay about three.

Not as big as a Mansion Spider.

When I lived with me Mam and Dad over Monkwearmouth me Dad was standing in the middle of the sitting room and a spider came running out from under the gas fire..as house spiders go it was huge..it ran up his leg onto his back and you could see its body going back and forth as if it was trying to bite him.

Scrolled through this thread with my eyes half shut to avoid the inevitable pics like a big Jessie.

When i was about 17 and my brother would have been about 8, i swear my auntie picked one off the wall that was the size of her hand and threw it outside. A proper black one like, not one of those ones with the tiny body and long legs.

My brother still remembers this vividly too but our mother reckons we are talking bollocks and it wasnt that big.

Shortly after our youngest was born, I got up during the night for a slash.

As I was standing letting the rivers flow, I noticed what at first I took to be one of those curtain tie-back hooks on the wall next to the window. As the sleep cleared from my eyes I realised it was a git big, f@@k-off spider, just sitting there on the wall.

I panicked and grabbed the first thing that came to hand - a rolled up, used, disposable nappy that had been left next to the loo after a late night change - and splatted it on the wall.

Can't think of a worse way to go, really.

The Tegenaria Gigantea.

The Giant House spider has been reported to have grown substantially in size due to slight adjustments over the time that the seasons fall over the last 50 years or so. A wet summer followed by a late autumn (based on air temperature) spells trouble for arachnophobes due to the Tegenaria's mating cycle.

Unfortunately whilst they usually remain out of sight they are all around us during August - October. The ones you see running across the carpet are males who recklessly leave their shelter on a desperate hunt for a mate before winter, which spells the end of their life cycle.

Of all the spiders the Tegenaria has the most imposing physical appearance. They look absolutely f***ing terrifying. Even though spiders fascinate me the Tegenaria makes me freeze. Based on temperature and access to water they can grow up to 8cm from leg to leg. In size they are second only to the Dolomedes Fimbriatus which is native to the Fens and isn't habitual in domestic settings.

Relax for now but when August comes round, get ready 😳

Last edited by a moderator:
slightly off topic but camel spiders in Iraq/Afhhan are f***ing massive.
Nasty bastards too

Yeah Solifugids. Not technically an arachnid but you wouldn't be worrying about their classification when they're running towards you. They can travel too for a big fella.

The Tegenaria Gigantea.

The Giant House spider has been reported to have grown substantially in size due to slight adjustments over the time that the seasons fall over the last 50 years or so. A wet summer followed by a late autumn (based on air temperature) spells trouble for arachnophobes due to the Tegenaria's mating cycle.

Unfortunately whilst they usually remain out of sight they are all around us during August - October. The ones you see running across the carpet are males who recklessly leave their shelter on a desperate hunt for a mate before winter, which spells the end of their life cycle.

Of all the spiders the Tegenaria has the most imposing physical appearance. They look absolutely f***ing terrifying. Even though spiders fascinate me the Tegenaria makes me freeze. Based on temperature and access to water they can grow up to 8cm from leg to leg. In size they are second only to the Dolomedes Fimbriatus which is native to the Fens and isn't habitual in domestic settings.

Relax for now but when August comes round, get ready 😳

when I was moving out of my mams I was cleaning out my room with the bairns mam and pulled my bed back to reveal one of these. Instead of getting rid we could only watch as it caught sight of another smaller spider. The big one chased it and easily caught up to it, grabbed it and killed it instantly. Must have been canny scary for the little spider like so I cupped them up and hoyed them both out the window

spiders carry their babies on their backs, hundreds of the buggers so their bodies look twice their normal size. i've clattered a few and it's strange watching all these babies scatter across the floor after the event

Back