Housing market Lemmings

Pointless going up ladder at 50 to go back down at 60
Don’t agree tbh if no kids then releasing the equity can contribute to a happy retirement and lower outgoings. I’m 49 and moving to a larger house this summer
The way prices are spiralling in SR6 at the minute is ridiculous
It’s class , we were going to sell last year - leaving it a year due to Covid has been a lucky break for us

Last edited:
i do something similar with mine. I’ve had one young family in one of mine for 10 years. I’ve never put the rent up since day one. They are spot on, they are responsible and they certainly don’t take the piss. What’s another £10, £20 or even £50 pcm in the grand scheme of things. It would cost me 10x that to find someone else if they left. It also might make a huge difference to them. They are happy and I’m happy. Win win.

Wow I wished I had a landlord like this. We have been renting our house for 12+ years now and the landlords put up the rent every 2 years, normally by £25 per month each time.

In those years they have done no maintenance on the house, but they have been good in responding to emergency problems. We look after the house like it is our own, but without maintenance and renewal it only gets worse. The carpets were well used when we arrived, but now they are finished completely. You can clean and clean, but these things are worn out. The bathroom is very mouldy because there is no ventilation there. We clean it and spray it with mould killer, but it is always back. We even cleaned and repainted the ceiling because it is too embarrassing if a visitor comes and wants to use the toilet, that all the paint is hanging off. Although we used special bathroom paint and tried to get it dry, the paint just got mould and peeled off again in some months and now it is back to how it was. The bedrooms too get mould, but not so much and we clean them regularly with the mould spray to keep it down, because it is not healthy for the children.

Once about 5 years ago, the bath drain upstairs leaked and water came down through the kitchen ceiling very bad and parts of it did fall down. The landlords sent a plumber and he mended the leak under the bath, but they said of the kitchen that they cannot repair it while we are there and we must tell them when we are away on holiday for 2 weeks and then they will come to fix it. That is the end of hearing about that and the big crumbly hole stays today in the kitchen ceiling! It is scaring to stand at the sink in the kitchen because the ceiling has a big crack in it and is bending down. I think one day it will fall on my head.

The house is very cold in the winter because it is not modern. The doors and windows are still the same from the days when it was a council house. The tenant bought it from the council for maybe £15k or so and then when she died, left it to her two children in her will and so they are the landlords.

There are many more problems that I won't write about but you can imagine when there is no maintenance. I have written to the landlords a long letter about these problems and now at last they is start to do something. They have mended the heating system and also an electrician came and had a look because many of the electric points do not work. He did not do anything (apart from take all our stuff out of the cupboards downstairs to poke around and then leave it!) but he says he will come back. So at least something is happening now at last.

Our rent at this time is £925 per month.

Wow I wished I had a landlord like this. We have been renting our house for 12+ years now and the landlords put up the rent every 2 years, normally by £25 per month each time.

In those years they have done no maintenance on the house, but they have been good in responding to emergency problems. We look after the house like it is our own, but without maintenance and renewal it only gets worse. The carpets were well used when we arrived, but now they are finished completely. You can clean and clean, but these things are worn out. The bathroom is very mouldy because there is no ventilation there. We clean it and spray it with mould killer, but it is always back. We even cleaned and repainted the ceiling because it is too embarrassing if a visitor comes and wants to use the toilet, that all the paint is hanging off. Although we used special bathroom paint and tried to get it dry, the paint just got mould and peeled off again in some months and now it is back to how it was. The bedrooms too get mould, but not so much and we clean them regularly with the mould spray to keep it down, because it is not healthy for the children.

Once about 5 years ago, the bath drain upstairs leaked and water came down through the kitchen ceiling very bad and parts of it did fall down. The landlords sent a plumber and he mended the leak under the bath, but they said of the kitchen that they cannot repair it while we are there and we must tell them when we are away on holiday for 2 weeks and then they will come to fix it. That is the end of hearing about that and the big crumbly hole stays today in the kitchen ceiling! It is scaring to stand at the sink in the kitchen because the ceiling has a big crack in it and is bending down. I think one day it will fall on my head.

The house is very cold in the winter because it is not modern. The doors and windows are still the same from the days when it was a council house. The tenant bought it from the council for maybe £15k or so and then when she died, left it to her two children in her will and so they are the landlords.

There are many more problems that I won't write about but you can imagine when there is no maintenance. I have written to the landlords a long letter about these problems and now at last they is start to do something. They have mended the heating system and also an electrician came and had a look because many of the electric points do not work. He did not do anything (apart from take all our stuff out of the cupboards downstairs to poke around and then leave it!) but he says he will come back. So at least something is happening now at last.

Have you considered moving? Sounds like your landlord needs to do a refurb.

can you not move ? Loyalty gets you nothing. Especially at that price.

How does that rent compare to the rest of the area?
Maybe you should consider moving

You have my sympathies. I have lived in some horrible places. Always scared that the landlord would want you out. I would definitely keep an eye out for other properties.

Living in crap places just gets you down. You just feel so powerless. Was the best feeling in the world to actually buy my own place. No one to answer to.

@bomber made his money being a slum landlord. He must be spewing that he is stuck out in Portugal missing this opportunity.
Its a better option than getting 0.5% interest in the bank but loads of hassle hence many who can afford to often sell up.id rather be here than picking dog turds up off bedroom carpets.👍

You have my sympathies. I have lived in some horrible places. Always scared that the landlord would want you out. I would definitely keep an eye out for other properties.

Living in crap places just gets you down. You just feel so powerless. Was the best feeling in the world to actually buy my own place. No one to answer to.
All I've done since buying is spend f***ing money.

House prices are barely back to where they were at the last peak in 2007 where I live (SE Northumberland). In the rougher areas they're going for around 25% less than they were back then.

My auntie died the other week and my cousin put the house up for sale. It was up for 68k (which was massively undervalued imo), literally the same day it went on sale somebody put a 75k offer in. They were from Blyth (which is a good 40 miles from where we are (SW Durham), which has made me think they are private landlords as it seems nearly every house in our area is getting sold to be let out.

Back