House Sale Completion Time....

we did the same. sign a promissory contract and pay a 10% deposit. if they pull out you get double back, if you pull out they get to keep the deposit. it's a good system imo.
Certainly is,i would think getting the money back would be a right chew on and could would take quite a while but to be expected i suppose.

Anyone sold/bought a house recently, and if so how long did it take from offer accepted to contract exchange?

In a nutshell we accepted an offer 74 days ago........... still here now. 2 weeks ago buyer wanted £4000 knocked off, we said no.

Last week the buyers solicitor sent in a list of questions, 24 in total with 1 question having 16 sub questions (71 days after the accepted offer).

Yesterday our estate agent e-mailed stating the buyers have now requested searches to be done (73 days after accepted offer) and are also currently waiting for their mortgage offer to come in.

Is this sort of thing normal?

About ready to just pull the plug to be honest, we've missed out on properties because of this.
Took me 13 weeks but that was Covid related. Was waiting for searches, otherwise it’d have taken 8 weeks.

Yeah I'd say 11-13, weeks would be about right. It's clear the buyer we had were and took the piss. Legislation needs to change and I know for next time to ensure things are put in place from our point of view.
We were lucky in the fact our buyers offered full price and my offer was accepted at roughly the same time. His solicitor was an utter tosser though, never replied to mails or phone calls. Mine was spot on and proactive. Tbf ours could have been done quicker if he’d have pulled his finger out.

Yeah I'd say 11-13, weeks would be about right. It's clear the buyer we had were and took the piss. Legislation needs to change and I know for next time to ensure things are put in place from our point of view.
It's your estate agent's responsibility to check that the buyer has a mortgage offer in place when they put the offer in on your property.

If they don't, then they're making an offer with money that they don't actually have.

I would imagine that's why they were stalling, after all there's no point in spending money on searches if the funds aren't in place to complete the purchase.

It's the estate agent's responsibility to check that the buyer has a mortgage offer in place when they put the offer in on your property.

If they don't, then they're making an offer with money they don't actually have.

I would imagine that's why they were stalling, after all there's no point in spending money on searches if the funds aren't in place to complete the purchase.

The mother was the mortgage broker and they said they had the mortgage offer ready to go etc. Frustrating but lessons learnt. Daft thing is they sent the surveyor out within 3 weeks and all of that was fine and that would have cost them money.

Last edited:
The mother was the mortgage broker and they said they had the mortgage offer ready to go etc. Frustrating but lessons learnt. Daft thing is they sent the surveyor out within 3 weeks and all of that was fine and that would have cost them money.
It doesn't make any sense though, there's no reason for them to stall if the funds are in place.

I'd be asking your estate agent whether they ever saw the mortgage certificate from the bank.

A mortgage broker saying that the offer is 'ready to go', is not really the same thing, especially if they're related to the buyer.

The mortgage application might have been taking longer than they anticipated and they were stalling for time by getting on with what they could in the meantime.

It doesn't make any sense though, there's no reason for them to stall if the funds are in place.

I'd be asking your estate agent whether they ever saw the mortgage certificate from the bank.

A mortgage broker saying that the offer is 'ready to go', is not really the same thing, especially if they're related to the buyer.

The mortgage application might have been taking longer than they anticipated and they were stalling for time by getting on with what they could in the meantime.
After the 8th week they asked for £4000 off the agreed price. 10th week we get 40 questions off their solicitor. 2 days after that our estate agent told us they are waiting for.mortgage offer and are about to start searches. 5 days later we told them to sod off and when the estate agent tried to mediate a few days later they said they didn't want to proceed. Proper time wasters all round.

Just reading some housing market news through work there.

There's apparently about 418,000 house sales in the pipeline at the moment compared to 280,000 at the same time last year. Stamp duty and people wanting more 'lockdown friendly' homes. There's just massive bottlenecks in the system as can't cope with this extra demand. So you can expect it to be taking a good bit longer at the moment if you are in the pipeline.

There's apparently about 418,000 house sales in the pipeline at the moment compared to 280,000 at the same time last year. Stamp duty and people wanting more 'lockdown friendly' homes. There's just massive bottlenecks in the system as can't cope with this extra demand. So you can expect it to be taking a good bit longer at the moment if you are in the pipeline.
Wow. You got a source for that? That's massive.

True but it doesn't take 10-11 weeks for a mortgage offer to come back and for the buyer to take that long to start searches. Piss take.

Back