House Sale Completion Time....

Daughter bought one June 17th Moved in august the 14th. No chain though.
Ours was no chain. They were first time buyers and if needs be we were moving out into parents homes until we found somewhere. All very disappointing as essentially it's over 11 weeks wasted
“ the buyers were from the village “ , wtf is that meant to mean ?

It‘s a business like decision, keep emotions out of the equation.

Only accept an offer when proof of funds are available, otherwise keep it on the market , change the agent if needs be.

If i was selling I’d get the agent to verify their ability to purchase before I‘d even let them view.
It was meant in respect to some of the questions they asked such as the one about noise from trains and the flight path. Learnt a few lessons with this and will definitely be making more "demands" if we get any other offers in the future.

Last edited:

Ours was no chain. They were first time buyers and if needs be we were moving out into parents homes until we found somewhere. All very disappointing as essentially it's over 11 weeks wasted

It was meant in respect to some of the questions they asked such as the one about noise from trains and the flight path. Learnt a few lessons with this and will definitely be making more "demands" if we get any other offers in the future.

Good luck but with demand and prices being so shite round these areas you cant be too arsie, think im saddled with my btl for life ffs!

Good luck but with demand and prices being so shite round these areas you cant be too arsie, think im saddled with my btl for life ffs!

It is what it is, if we move we move, if we don't we don't. Not long left on the mortgage here so not in the worst situation in the world. It was just frustrating more than anything and I fully agree there should be some sort of protection law in place as the way thee buyers have behaved is wholly unacceptable and shouldn't be allowed.

In an ideal world the estate agent would take a deposit, say £1000 so the buyer doesn’t pull out or try and gazunder the seller refundable if the seller pulls out and maybe a fee charged to the seller.
I’ve had a couple of viewings on mine today and one of them I know will low ball me on the price and will probs try again when I’m moving.

Completed on mine yesterday. All a bit hairy as in effect exchange and completion took part on same day. I had movers in packing up my house and it could have gone wrong at any time. Also my sale completed around 3pm. But no word on purchase. My sols sent money but no acknowledgement from other sols. No one answering the phone.
So was sat there with a house packed in to vans effectively homeless until about 4.30pm when finally they acknowledged receipt and gave key release.

Removals finished unloading about 8. Sat down with a beer and pizza at 9.30 and was in bed for 10.30. Knackered.

Completed on mine yesterday. All a bit hairy as in effect exchange and completion took part on same day. I had movers in packing up my house and it could have gone wrong at any time. Also my sale completed around 3pm. But no word on purchase. My sols sent money but no acknowledgement from other sols. No one answering the phone.
So was sat there with a house packed in to vans effectively homeless until about 4.30pm when finally they acknowledged receipt and gave key release.

Removals finished unloading about 8. Sat down with a beer and pizza at 9.30 and was in bed for 10.30. Knackered.
Congrats on the new house!

I have no idea why our system even allows exchange and completion on the same day. The whole industry and legal system needs radically changing.

Congrats on the new house!

I have no idea why our system even allows exchange and completion on the same day. The whole industry and legal system needs radically changing.
Thanks!

Apparently to do with covid why they are doing this at the moment. Quite why I can't work out.

But got there in the end.

Thanks!

Apparently to do with covid why they are doing this at the moment. Quite why I can't work out.

But got there in the end.
That’s rubbish. We exchanged a week before we completed in September. A lot of the delay was mainly because sellers solicitor fucked off on holiday at the end of august and then came back and realised he’d done fuck all and stuck 17 new queries in the weekend before we exchanged.

In France you put down a deposit. That'd sharp sort things out.
Well our house is still for sale but nothing happening at the moment which has pissed me off given our buyer fucked us about for 11 weeks or so and has ultimately cost us a sale. IF we do sell (doubtful now) then I'll be insisting on certain things from the buyer as it's a piss take to have messed about for so long. Needs to be financial penalties etc put in place

We were looking at a place a couple of years ago, looked lovely. Garden was immaculate, albeit backing onto a a railway line.
First snag was after the lawyers did their searches and the property boundaries didn't match the land registry records. Few weeks went by and it turned out Network Rail actually owned half the garden and had a waleave on the rest to provide access to drainage.
The seller had put terraced decking, large shed and a sauna on that land.

We said we'll go ahead if you sort out ownership of that land, they came back after 2 months and said they won't sell it, Network Rail want £500 a year ground rent.
Finally told them to bugger off and we went back out looking elsewhere. Heard from an esate agent a couple of weeks later while viewing another property that the vendors were fucked as they had Network Rail asking for quite a lot of back rent for the garden they'd expanded :lol:

Current place we ended up in was sorted in 6 weeks beginning to end and is far more house for the money, so every cloud.

Upto about 8/9 viewings on ours mostly people with houses to sell as well.
We won’t do any viewings until ours is sold as think it’s pissing people about.
Had a no show last Sunday after the Mrs spent the day tidying and cleaning. Apparently the potential viewer had an asthma attack

We were looking at a place a couple of years ago, looked lovely. Garden was immaculate, albeit backing onto a a railway line.
First snag was after the lawyers did their searches and the property boundaries didn't match the land registry records. Few weeks went by and it turned out Network Rail actually owned half the garden and had a waleave on the rest to provide access to drainage.
The seller had put terraced decking, large shed and a sauna on that land.

We said we'll go ahead if you sort out ownership of that land, they came back after 2 months and said they won't sell it, Network Rail want £500 a year ground rent.
Finally told them to bugger off and we went back out looking elsewhere. Heard from an esate agent a couple of weeks later while viewing another property that the vendors were fucked as they had Network Rail asking for quite a lot of back rent for the garden they'd expanded :lol:

Current place we ended up in was sorted in 6 weeks beginning to end and is far more house for the money, so every cloud.
Dodged a bullet big time there, fella :)

Just sold ours. Went on the market thursday, sold monday morning. No complaints so far.

We've been told searches are causing a delay, 4-6 weeks rather than 2. Hopefully we can be in the new place before xmas.
Upto about 8/9 viewings on ours mostly people with houses to sell as well.
We won’t do any viewings until ours is sold as think it’s pissing people about.
Had a no show last Sunday after the Mrs spent the day tidying and cleaning. Apparently the potential viewer had an asthma attack
You can tell your EA to book viewings only with proceedable buyers at first. That's what we did.

Last edited:
Just sold ours. Went on the market thursday, sold monday morning. No complaints so far.

We've been told searches are causing a delay, 4-6 weeks rather than 2. Hopefully we can be in the new place before xmas.

You can tell your EA to book viewings only with proceedable buyers at first. That's what we did.
It's not sold til completion mate. Done it three times now and it's not done til it's done.

Back