House Sale Completion Time....

We've been on the market for 18 months. Lost two buyers. First one pulled out 3 months back as the chain further up wasn't moving and we lost our second one this week as they saw another house that they liked more. So frustrating.

That Elopa ask for a £1000 deposit from the buyer for a firm commitment. Bet this would put some of the tyre kicking time wasting bastards off.

eight viewing this week on ours, another time waster.

In the process of buying my first house (live in usa). As the buyer once the bid has been accepted I hold all the cards. Only I can back out, but only if specific criteria are met otherwise I lose a portion of the down-payment.

Everything has a deadline. My offer had to be accepted by a certain day and time otherwise it was off the table. Inspection had to be done within 10 days of acceptance. My purchase and sale agreement, which we've just signed, was due this past Monday. I need to get my mortgage finalized (no worries here) by the beginning of December, then close at the end of December.

All in all from bid to close it'll be 7-8weeks. The stuff the buyer is pulling with you seems utterly ridiculous.
That Elopa ask for a £1000 deposit from the buyer for a firm commitment. Bet this would put some of the tyre kicking time wasting bastards off.

This is how it works here. You submit a bid with 1k to bind/validate the offer. That will come out of down-payment. Then at the signing of the purchase and sale you pay another amount, which also comes out of the down-payment.

Last edited:
Mine is finally being valued and going up this week. This thread has been really useful, although I’m sorry for those who have had some problems selling
Ive decided I will leave it on the market for 3/4 months and then if it doesn’t sell rent it out. Not my preferred choice but I don’t want it standing empty too long

Last edited:
Mine is finally being valued and going up this week. This thread has been really useful, although I’m sorry for those who have had some problems selling
Ive decided I will leave it on the market for 3/4 months and then if it doesn’t sell rent it out. Not my preferred choice but I don’t want it standing empty too long
Hopefully it'll go quick @janey as people rush to beat the stamp duty deadline. I dont fancy renting out - have a couple of viewings this weekend booked already

Hopefully it'll go quick @janey as people rush to beat the stamp duty deadline. I dont fancy renting out - have a couple of viewings this weekend booked already
I hope so too. Renting is a real last resort, unless it was to someone I knew and trusted. It was meant to be valued yesterday but bloody typical I felt like shit and had to go for a Covid Test. Fortunately it came back negative.
Fingers crossed for your viewings at the weekend 👍👍🤞🤞

Are you selling the place at Lambton Park? Or have you not moved in yet?

I think that's a bit unfair in the buyer, unless that's after surveys etc.

Last edited:
Are you selling the place at Lambton Park? Or have you not moved in yet?

I think that's a bit unfair in the buyer, unless that's after surveys etc.

whys that? Show a sign of intent from the buyer. Too easy for them to pull out.
Maybe the seller should put£1000 up as well

Back