House prices to fall 10%

I'm massively jealous of just how class your financial circumstances are.

Both of you on around £100k with a circa £100k deposit. The only advice I could find you was buy something better, you can afford it.

My advice would be to buy something bigger as well. If property drops then it will bounce back in years to come. Best buying bigger with prices at an artificial low and interest rates very low as well.

Houses are money pits, no point spending money for taxes / legal fees / replacement boilers etc. twice. Buy somewhere bigger where you can extend and take the time to get it the way you like.

Particularly if kids are in the pipeline. It'll save you a fortune in the long run and means when kids arrive you can do a few cosmetics but you'll not be buried in moving house and ripping it apart.

@jsdftm04

Aye. Been together since 14, so doing something right.
It'll never last :lol:

Serioulsy good luck sound like you two have your heads screwed on.

As a side not....and coming from a parent point of view.....has her parents mentioned anything about the fact that she's stumping up 75% of the lolly.

What happens if you did split up and took 50% of everything ?

Just I have seen it over the years with mates.

Last edited:
It'll never last :lol:

Serioulsy good luck sound like you two have your heads screwed on.

As a side not....and coming from a parent point of view.....has her parents mentioned anything about the fact that she's stumping up 75% of the lolly.

What happens if you did split up and took 50% of everything ?

Just I have seen it over the years with mates.
Plan is to get something drawn up so if we did split up, she gets all her cash back etc. However they said legally it probably wouldnt stand once married etc.

Plan is to get something drawn up so if we did split up, she gets all her cash back etc. However they said legally it probably wouldnt stand once married etc.

I believe they're not legally enforceable, but are taken into account. It's also a lot easier when kids aren't involved. When kids are involved, family courts tend to side with the mother, so in that respect its better for you that she's the one stumping up the most cos if it was the other way round you could get massively screwed over if it all went wrong

If you're next house is more expensive, the same percentage drop will make it closer to you.
True but say you're in a 140k kip .a 200k new kip is a canny jump ...only 6 grand difference the saving which you can chip off a price in normal trading anyway
Closet gap and more for the same lending if moving up
closet gap ? as I said above you have less capital off yours too so that affects lending

Last edited:
True but say you're in a 140k kip .a 200k new kip is a canny jump ...only 6 grand difference the saving which you can chip off a price in normal trading anyway

closet gap ? as I said above you have less capital off yours too so that affects lending

Yes but you are missing the other big saving which is that house at 200k then becomes 180. Smaller mortgage borrowing and repayments so you save 2 ways

My advice would be to buy something bigger as well. If property drops then it will bounce back in years to come. Best buying bigger with prices at an artificial low and interest rates very low as well.

Houses are money pits, no point spending money for taxes / legal fees / replacement boilers etc. twice. Buy somewhere bigger where you can extend and take the time to get it the way you like.

Particularly if kids are in the pipeline. It'll save you a fortune in the long run and means when kids arrive you can do a few cosmetics but you'll not be buried in moving house and ripping it apart.

@jsdftm04
We are looking at buying a house in the 240k bracket I think now. Would only need to lend 140-150k and earn around 60k between us so well within affordability limits. Going to see what comes up etc.

Back