House of Tides

same as anything thought, there are people wealthy enough or willing to pay for high quality things depending on their prerogative. i'd never buy expensive clothes, as i have no interest in them, a £20 pair of strides does the same job as a £200 pair, however i don't begrudge those who want to pay £200. same with cars, TV's, holidays etc..

eating at Michelin star standard restaurants is fantastic and worth every penny, if you are into that type of thing

Wont disagree with that. Spent about 350 quid at L'eclume once and loved it. One off though.

Another vote for the Raby Hunt. Lovely food, relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff. You can stay there but that adds to an already significant bill (though the breakfast is very nice also).

aye i saw that, but hopefully they can keep up the same standards. the tasting menu i've done there twice is a good as anything you'd find in House of Tides, in my opinion of course. the added bonus of the chefs table in the kitchen watching the food being prepared, the tour of the kitchens and the students working there makes it a really unique experience. if it was being delivered in a bigger city, it would, in my opinion, be extremely well known and popular.

hopefully the new head chef they bring in continues where Kelvin left off.
I’ve had some great nights in City Bistro, done the tasting menu at the chef’s table and had the full college tour and I’m one of their biggest fans, but haway man, the food at House of Tides is in a different league.
Yet to try Peace and Loaf but hope to do so soon.

Only ever done a couple. I suppose it’s nice just to have them changed up for every course.

I always fancy the idea of starting a restaurant where it’s just beer pairings :lol:

Already exists.

Like most of these places its over priced. End of the day its food we are on about. It is still a good choice for a one off/special occasion as the food is still excellent.

How is it?

Actually worth it?

Want to take my lass as a treat but I have an aversion to paying loads of money for meals where it’s all hype and not actually that good.

Don’t mind paying whatever when it’s something genuinely great.

Anywhere better in the North East that’s maybe not as hyped up?

Got my Mam and dad a voucher for peace and loaf and they said they hadn’t clue what was most of stuff on the menu was so opted to go on the Sunday and just get a roast.

Which suggests it’s probably quite good.

Last edited:
Already exists.

How is it?

Got my Mam and dad a voucher for peace and loaf and they said they hadn’t clue what was most of stuff on the menu was so opted to go on the Sunday and just get a roast.

Which suggests it’s probably quite good.
I didn’t say it was unique.

Tbf I seriously doubt you’d appreciate such a place anyway.

You wouldn’t though. You have a complete beta palate when it comes to beer and you’d be asking for Brooklyn Scorcher or some other second rate IPA with every course.

What the fuck are you going on about?

You’re going for your first grown up meal and saying I’ve got a beta palate. :lol:

Food and beer pairings are for people who eat burgers and pulled pork and that man.

Stick to Nando’s.

Last edited:
What the fuck are you going on about?

You’re going for your first grown up meal and saying I’ve got a beta palate. :lol:

Food and beer pairings are for people who eat burgers and pulled pork and that man.

Stick to Nando’s.

Where have you got that from like you daft bastard? :lol:

Gan shove a Pret sandwich up your arse.

Let it go man I was trying to wind you up.

Stop letting me win.

When it’s as a response to me calling you a beta palate I doubt it was. You’ll have been shaking and sweating into your Greenwich Pale (330ml bottle poured into a full pint glass which hasn’t been washed properly so you’ll have poor head retention, because that’s the type of person you are) thinking about what to reply.

“I do know about and like nice beer. I really do! I thought he wouldn’t know that such a restaurant existed as well, like it would be totally new information.”

When it’s as a response to me calling you a beta palate I doubt it was. You’ll have been shaking and sweating into your Greenwich Pale (330ml bottle poured into a full pint glass which hasn’t been washed properly so you’ll have poor head retention, because that’s the type of person you are) thinking about what to reply.

“I do know about and like nice beer. I really do! I thought he wouldn’t know that such a restaurant existed as well, like it would be totally new information.”

I drink Guinness. I don’t go to restaurants that do beer pairings. I’m an adult.

I drink Guinness. I don’t go to restaurants that do beer pairings. I’m an adult.

That’s good, neither do I.

I like the idea though. You’d be sat there pretending to like stuff just like you do with wine now.

Foodie fight!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

My money is on @Charmless Man.

His comment about his parents is quite telling. He’s obviously become quite an unpleasant, odd person over the years.

Last edited:

Back