House of Tides

Only ever done a couple. I suppose it’s nice just to have them changed up for every course.

I always fancy the idea of starting a restaurant where it’s just beer pairings :lol:

Was 4 of us, so got to change for most courses. HoT wasn’t a wine for every course on the pairing. Think it was a glass for first three courses. Plus... Some of the wine pairing was advertised as 25ml... I spill more than that

Another vote for peace and loaf. I've not been to House of tides but know a few who have been to both and all agreed peace and loaf was better. Mind, its all just fancy bait to me, I doubt any of it is better than egg and chips, with a bit bread and butter to do a chip sarnie.

The head chef left.

aye i saw that, but hopefully they can keep up the same standards. the tasting menu i've done there twice is a good as anything you'd find in House of Tides, in my opinion of course. the added bonus of the chefs table in the kitchen watching the food being prepared, the tour of the kitchens and the students working there makes it a really unique experience. if it was being delivered in a bigger city, it would, in my opinion, be extremely well known and popular.

hopefully the new head chef they bring in continues where Kelvin left off.

Yeah, you’d think so.

Should really go to one. I’m flummoxed by wine pairings really but with a beer pairing menu I could look like I know what I’m talking about.

You been to block n bottle in gateshead? Sure they did a pop up beer pairing night with a chef, two brothers or something like that?

Actually worth it?

Want to take my lass as a treat but I have an aversion to paying loads of money for meals where it’s all hype and not actually that good.

Don’t mind paying whatever when it’s something genuinely great.

Anywhere better in the North East that’s maybe not as hyped up?
It's class but walked past the other day and I'm sure the taster menu was about 90 quid now. Very expensive but it's well worth it for a one off.

We probably wouldn’t do the wine flight as she’s not a big drinker. Last time we did that with a tasting menu I almost had to carry her into the taxi.
Wouldn't bother with wine flight. Plum sake is lusheroo.

Actually worth it?

Want to take my lass as a treat but I have an aversion to paying loads of money for meals where it’s all hype and not actually that good.

Don’t mind paying whatever when it’s something genuinely great.

Anywhere better in the North East that’s maybe not as hyped up?
Gaaaaaay

Like most of these places its over priced. End of the day its food we are on about. It is still a good choice for a one off/special occasion as the food is still excellent.

Like most of these places its over priced. End of the day its food we are on about. It is still a good choice for a one off/special occasion as the food is still excellent.

same as anything thought, there are people wealthy enough or willing to pay for high quality things depending on their prerogative. i'd never buy expensive clothes, as i have no interest in them, a £20 pair of strides does the same job as a £200 pair, however i don't begrudge those who want to pay £200. same with cars, TV's, holidays etc..

eating at Michelin star standard restaurants is fantastic and worth every penny, if you are into that type of thing

Back