House of Assad

Anyone been watching this on BBC2? I can't work the bloke out (Bashar). I'm not sure if he's a puppet, being controlled by the old guard or whether he's a calculated Despot, or a bit of both and as for his missus......

Anyone been watching this on BBC2? I can't work the bloke out (Bashar). I'm not sure if he's a puppet, being controlled by the old guard or whether he's a calculated Despot, or a bit of both and as for his missus......
Reminded me a bit of The Godfather. The son who wasn't groomed for leadership of the organization but who does so eventually because of unforeseen circumstances and ends up being as harsh as his paranoid/psychotic forbearers.

Assad and the Syrian establishment around him are all Alawaite Muslims. They're a minority in Syria, the majority of the country is Sunni. If the Alawites lose they'll be killed by the Sunnis in huge numbers and the establishment/elite will be either wiped out or if they're lucky escape and live in exile. So it's an existential war for them. Assad is their leader. So he's not a puppet or controlled by anybody, he's the leader of a minority group who are trying to preserve their status in a Hobbesian civil war.

Back