House Depreciation....

If they like it, buy it. Houses shouldn't be seen as an investment but somewhere you want to live - a home. I find that way of thinking a bit depressing tbh. It's not like the thing is about to fall off a cliff.
All depends on their financial situation.

If you’re a cash buyer with no intention of selling, then aye, the future price of the house doesn’t matter.

If you’re a first time buyer getting a 2 year 95% LTV mortgage over 30 years and maxing your affordability with the payments, then a depreciating area plus uncertainty of post brexit/Covid market means there’s a reasonable chance of being in negative equity come the end of your fixed period and being stuck on a SVR that you can’t afford to (at best) overpay to keep the interest down, or (at worst) can’t afford to pay and up being repossessed.

While I was at uni for I worked in arrears/debt management when the work dried up for new mortgage applications in 2008. Over 18 months house prices dropped 20%. It’s very easy for a mortgage to become unaffordable for a first time buyer.

The second situation might not apply to @Leonard osbourne ‘s son and they might have a 20% deposit, but it is a real possibility for anyone only putting down 5/10%.

I started off as an apprentice on the shopfloor then moved into the Projects office on the MV stuff
CRU was a govt IT project i set up on the 5th floor 1990. I think the building was called Reyrolles
7 ish story with a reddish / brick fascia?
Trying to think of the name of the pub abt 200 yds away. Dunno if it's still thete

Last edited:
Number 54?

According to Zoopla it sold for £135K in 2015. Number 60 on the other end of the block went for £167k last November. Doesn't suggest prices are falling to me but you might suggest to Rodney he starts chipping at the asking price.

He was going to offer around 175k, as the price say offers around 200k

If its a new development then you do pay a premium so will drop in value for a couple of years.

Also if its an area that's a bit rough & getting worse then demand drops so value drops.

It’s the opposite to this, isn’t it?

New houses are always bought then sell at a higher price shortly after completion before settling again a few years later.

Back