House Advice

The freedom of having someone letting you know you've got a few months to find a new home. Amazing.
My nana lived and rented her council house from the day it was built in the late 40s till she died in 90s and she said it's just like owning you own home without the fighting over the Sale money when you die hahaha

My nana lived and rented her council house from the day it was built in the late 40s till she died in 90s and she said it's just like owning you own home without the fighting over the Sale money when you die hahaha
That's ideal. I would not mind renting in those circumstances

The freedom of having someone letting you know you've got a few months to find a new home. Amazing.
It’s not all about that, that’s such a negative, blinkered way of looking at it.
You've never had a shit landlord or one that sells from under you, clearly.
Nope, I haven’t cause I’ve got a mortgage that I can’t stand...anyway, it all depends on your mindset, not everything revolves around a mortgage or owning a home
Christ on a variable rate bike.
:lol:

Last edited:
It’s not all about that, that’s such a negative, blinkered way of looking at it.

Nope, I haven’t cause I’ve got a mortgage that I can’t stand...anyway, it all depends on your mindset, not everything revolves around a mortgage or owning a home

:lol:

True, it's not for everyone.

It is for the vast majority though....just don't stretch yourself too much. If you can pay roughly the same or even a little more it's a no brainer to mortgage.

I hate that notion of waiting for retirement and having a mortgage paid off, there’s much more to life than hay and a mortgage is a pretty big tie

You don't have to wait for retirement, but I'd want to enjoy my retirement by not having extra costs. Also the earlier it's paid off, the earlier I can retire

I hate that notion of waiting for retirement and having a mortgage paid off, there’s much more to life than hay and a mortgage is a pretty big tie

Speaking from personal experience.
There's also life after retirement! If you're lucky a lot of life.
Owning your own accommodation by the time you retire and not having to pay rent makes your pension go a lot further.
Makes you more flexible too, down size and have a bit cash for example.

It's an ex council house so seems a bit on the high side.

you would pay double that for a similar new build and more likely than not it would be leasehold as that is the new way of screwing extra money out of people.
Paying it off & not paying anything in retirement?

if your income is low and you rent then you get housing benefit so you would still be not paying anything.

Last edited:
you would pay double that for a similar new build and more likely than not it would be leasehold as that is the new way of screwing extra money out of people.

if your income is low and you rent then you get housing benefit so you would still be not paying anything.

At £125k it wouldn't be double. Prob be around £145k on a new build for 3 bed semi with no garage or en suite.

And yes if you retire with no works pension & just state pension you'd get HB but I don't think the sentiment was aimed at those.

At £125k it wouldn't be double. Prob be around £145k on a new build for 3 bed semi with no garage or en suite.

And yes if you retire with no works pension & just state pension you'd get HB but I don't think the sentiment was aimed at those.

New build 3 bed houses in Peterlee on Oakerside Drive being built by a branch of Gentoo, and allegedly affordable housing, are priced from £179,000.

New build 3 bed houses in Peterlee on Oakerside Drive being built by a branch of Gentoo, and allegedly affordable housing, are priced from £179,000.
I'm guessing they're detached.
It says from £99k on here mind

Actually looking at it then yeah they're asking that. I'd be amazed if people buy them at that price there.

Last edited:

That's why I specifically mentioned the garage & ensuite. The closest one is £169k but still has the ensuite. They are a bit on the pricy side mind for peterler. I live on a new build estate & houses are about £20k less. So a similar house to that ex council one would be in the £140-£150k bracket.

Last edited:
That's why I specifically mentioned the garage & ensuite. The closest one is £169k but still has the ensuite. They are a bit on the pricy side mind for peterler. I live on a new build estate & houses are about £20k less. So a similar house to that ex council one would be in the £140-£150k bracket.

They are on the very, very edge of Peterlee. Blink as you drive past and you are in Horden.
I'm guessing they're detached.
It says from £99k on here mind

Actually looking at it then yeah they're asking that. I'd be amazed if people buy them at that price there.

The £99k is for two bedrooms, most of which have been sold. It will cost nearly £80k more for an extra bedroom! In Peterlee!

Someone bought the ex local authority four bedroom detached house with a garden and garage over the road from me for £85k which is about a quarter of a mile from the new builds. You would need to be nuts to shell out the money for those houses - as you can see by the fact that few of them have actually sold yet.

Last edited:
They are on the very, very edge of Peterlee. Blink as you drive past and you are in Horden.

The persimmon ones they built just past opposite North blunts were of similar prices I'm comparing with. The ones youve linked are silly prices. Theres any amount of 2nd hand new builds for less.

The £99k is for two bedrooms, most of which have been sold. It will cost nearly £80k more for an extra bedroom! In Peterlee!

Someone bought the ex local authority four bedroom detached house with a garden and garage over the road from me for £85k which is about a quarter of a mile from the new builds. You would need to be nuts to shell out the money for those houses - as you can see by the fact that few of them have actually sold yet.
Yeah it sounds way too high for Peterlee.

You can get a new build house in a better area around here for the prices they're asking.

The 2 beds are on the money. The 3 beds are vastly overpriced. Most other new builds a 3rd bedroom will cost loads less than £80k (also in that 80k you're also getting another bathroom)

The 2 beds are on the money. The 3 beds are vastly overpriced. Most other new builds a 3rd bedroom will cost loads less than £80k (also in that 80k you're also getting another bathroom)

are the two bed rooms two bedrooms or a bedroom and a cupboard classed as a bedroom ?

Back