House Advice

Gardens are over rated imo. The amount of time spent fannying on cutting grass pruning trees, bushes, weeding etc is massive. Then there aren’t that many sunny weekend days a year and on some of those you need to go out anyway. Hop in the car to somewhere nice like gibside to relax in a chav free zone when the sun is out.

True, but I'm assuming because the house is a steal at 80k and that its market value is more, so you can borrow against its marketable value.
If you're paying £80k and it's really worth more than that then the mortgage valuation will come in at £80k.

If it was worth more then it would sell for more.

Last edited:
@Heffer Is this any good?

Someone posted it in our village group and I thought of you!

@Heffer Is this any good?

Someone posted it in our village group and I thought of you!
That looks very decent for 125k or am I completely out of touch?

Jointly my Mrs and I have 80 years of experience working in public sector housing. When we retired we both agreed to buy a new build . Prior to that we had lived in and had owned Victorian and Edwardian houses.

Old houses are lovely but they require constant attention. They are dirty and drafty and expensive to heat. The insulation standards of a new build will save you a small fortune they are clean and there are no drafts. I have little to do in the way of maintenance even just hanging a picture is easier having been faced with old plaster and lath walls in the past. The full DIY tool kit that i collected and used regularly for 40 years now just sits in the garage quietly rusting away.

I miss living in a 1860 cottage with C15th oak beams (reused from the former village inn) and having a bread oven in the inglenook but not the cost or the time need to maintain it. I am very happy in my new build thanks very much.

That looks very decent for 125k or am I completely out of touch?

I think it's a good price and it's really tidy inside. Even if you don't like the colours, it's liveable with until you get round to doing your own decorating.

Gardens are over rated imo. The amount of time spent fannying on cutting grass pruning trees, bushes, weeding etc is massive. Then there aren’t that many sunny weekend days a year and on some of those you need to go out anyway. Hop in the car to somewhere nice like gibside to relax in a chav free zone when the sun is out.

Some people do quite enjoy pottering around in the garden. Anyway with global warming we'll end up having more warmer summers

In this country how often do you really get to sit and enjoy your garden? 2018 was a great year, last year was shit!

I’d be looking at location and the actual house rather than the garden to be honest, but that’s just me. Plenty of parks and open spaces for kids.

In this country how often do you really get to sit and enjoy your garden? 2018 was a great year, last year was shit!

I’d be looking at location and the actual house rather than the garden to be honest, but that’s just me. Plenty of parks and open spaces for kids.
I wish my garden was smaller tbh

Just wanted opinions on this...

We are currently renting a house which we have the option to buy (not a scheme like rent to buy, just a price agreed with the landlord - who is desperate to sell)

House is perfectly habitable, albeit in need of a lot of work - needs new roof, kitchen, bathroom, general decor, double glazing and doors, boiler central heating - basically the lot doing to it. Also has a small yard

We are perfectly aware that the house needs money putting into it but its a steal for the location and size of house (110m2). Only thing is we really want a garden which we will never have there. We have a 10% deposit to buy this house.

On the other flip of the coin we like a new build which has come up which is a lot smaller but has the obvious new build perks and has the garden etc.

Do we get the new build using Help To Buy or get the cheap house and do it up...? Difference in price is like 60k but we might need to put I would guess 30k into the old house over time.
Why buy at all? What’s the point in committing yourself to 25+yrs of a mortgage. Rent and have the freedom to do as you please when you please. Wish I’d never got a mortgage.

Why buy at all? What’s the point in committing yourself to 25+yrs of a mortgage. Rent and have the freedom to do as you please when you please. Wish I’d never got a mortgage.

The freedom of having someone letting you know you've got a few months to find a new home. Amazing.

Paying it off & not paying anything in retirement?

Back