Hotels in Singapore

The drink is expensive in Singapore.
Last time I looked, a Singapore Sling in Raffles cost over £17.
I paid £12 for a pint of lager in a hotel bar, 1992.
If you want food, try the hawker centres, where food is tasty, filling, and fairly cheap.
I was there this year and it wasn't much more expensive than London. What I found more difficult was the availability. Loads of places were shut when you thought they'd be open.

I was there this year and it wasn't much more expensive than London. What I found more difficult was the availability. Loads of places were shut when you thought they'd be open.
1992 when I was there Peachy.
Drink can be cheaper in pubs, but we got to our hotel early morning and left the luggage in the room and had a drink in the hotel bar as it was 7am and not the usual time for bars to be open.
Once we ventured away from the hotel and got our bearings, we found normal bars where the drink was a good bit cheaper.
The humidity was crazy. I only walked a couple of minutes away from the hotel and was sweating buckets.

Always stay at Marriot Tang Plaza when i go for graft. Only there one night on way to Batam but is very nice. A very short stroll to The Towers if you are that way inclined. Some nice food places in the little shopping mall next door. Get B&B if you can, it is very good with a huge selection on offer. If room only the breakfast is $50.

1992 when I was there Peachy.
Drink can be cheaper in pubs, but we got to our hotel early morning and left the luggage in the room and had a drink in the hotel bar as it was 7am and not the usual time for bars to be open.
Once we ventured away from the hotel and got our bearings, we found normal bars where the drink was a good bit cheaper.
The humidity was crazy. I only walked a couple of minutes away from the hotel and was sweating buckets.

You ever been to Cockermouth?
:lol: :lol:

Definitely not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Copthorne Kings is close to Chinatown MRT and you can walk over the bridges into Clarke Quay on a night. It’s also nipping clean and reasonably priced. You also walk through hawker centres in Chinatown and can get big bottle of Tiger for a couple of quid which saves a packet and just drink with the locals. They have a free (I think) shuttle to various places too. I was there in Feb and would go back tomorrow.

What do people think of Singapore? Thought it was OK, preferred Hong Kong
Singapore in 1981 and this year - perfect stopover place for a for a day or two. Both times I found it it a little sterile. Not the worst sin for a place though.

Was in Hong Kong in 1983 about 14 months before this
China reasserts sovereignty over Hong Kong. ... - December 19, 1984: The Sino-British Joint Declaration, a treaty agreeing that all of Hong Kong would be returned to China at midnight on June 30, 1997, is signed in Beijing after four months of talks.
. Spent about three weeks there and really liked it. Don't know what it is like now but am aware of this:
China is courting trouble in Hong Kong

Stay in the Peninsular* and ask for a view of the Bay. We stayed on the 17th floor and the view from the room (and the bathroom) was of the new Marina Bay Buildings. Wasn't even too expensive.Right by the underground/MRT so easy to get to Little India, Marina Bay, Little China etc

* If you are interested I'll look up the exact name.

Finally a topic I can.profrss to be an expert on! Do you mean the Fullerton? If Theso then it is spectacular but probably marina bay sands money as is a bit classier. Peninsular is in HK, unless there is one in Singapore also? I am in Singapore next week, staying at Novotel on Clarke Quay (not my choice but is a ok for a few nights)i if a good pool is not important then the Royal Plaza on Scott's is a steal (owned by sultan of Brunei in case that affects your moral compass). I have also stayed at the Marriot on Orchard but it can be pricey. If you fancy an apartment then 8 on Claymore is fantastic. My favourite was.pan Pacific Orchard, as I accumulated so many points I ended up with a huge suite plus the staff were fantastic. Also recommend Hotel Jen Tanglin (formerly) traders which is handy for the botanic gardens. It also has a restaurant serving the best Chilli Crab. I've been 20 times so any questions let me know.

Copthorne Kings is close to Chinatown MRT and you can walk over the bridges into Clarke Quay on a night. It’s also nipping clean and reasonably priced. You also walk through hawker centres in Chinatown and can get big bottle of Tiger for a couple of quid which saves a packet and just drink with the locals. They have a free (I think) shuttle to various places too. I was there in Feb and would go back tomorrow.
A big bottle of tiger is at least 8 so 4,50 each. If you go out to deepest suburbs you can get it down to three quiz or.so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time i was there I stayed a month down the Arab Quarter in Kampong Glam area, the little bars and cafe's/restaurants are cracking, and the prices were less for the booze, especially when you work out the happy hours around the different bars. Been in/through Singapore loads, and always find it good for a few nights, owt more then it gets a little boring.

if a good pool is not important then the Royal Plaza on Scott's is a steal (owned by sultan of Brunei in case that affects your moral compass).
Royal Plaza on Scott's is a very good hotel and often has reduced rates. The Mandarin Orchard is also very good with some cracking places to eat/drink in the mall next door. It is not part of the Mandarin Group though. The Mandarin Singapore, near Marina Bay serves the best breakfast I have ever had...was in there for two bastard hours.

Royal Plaza on Scott's is a very good hotel and often has reduced rates. The Mandarin Orchard is also very good with some cracking places to eat/drink in the mall next door. It is not part of the Mandarin Group though. The Mandarin Singapore, near Marina Bay serves the best breakfast I have ever had...was in there for two bastard hours.
I've stayed at the Royal Plaza a couple of times. If they have the lounge deal on, it's canny. Free breakfast then you can do the happy hour nibbles and drinks before heading out for a night.

Back