Hotel Mumbai

I guess because it was a true story, it's what made it so brutal. Because It's not like the American went Rambo and saved the day, he moved and was shot.

I do however not really like how these films are made and people are like oh it was a class film, maybe as good as lord of the rings. Like this was a real thing that happened, seemingly every tragedy gets glorified in some way.

Just finished watching it, excellent film but a very very tough watch. I nearly turned it off at the point where it looked like the baby was going to end up a goner.

Just watched it, absolutely amazing film. Also I'm a bit embarrassed by how little I knew about the events in the film despite it only being 11 years ago. I can vaguely remember the Mumbai attacks and that's about it :oops:

It was a canny watch.

Would've liked to know if any if the guests shown were real or fictional.

Part of me wanted the head chef to go all Steven Segal and take on the terrorists

It was a canny watch.

Would've liked to know if any if the guests shown were real or fictional.

Part of me wanted the head chef to go all Steven Segal and take on the terrorists
I've had a look into this, Jason Isaacs character was based on 2 real people, 1 a wealthy business man and another a special forces guy. The main waiter character was also based on 2 real people and documented what they really did on the night ie telling people to turn out the lights and hide and taking the police to the CCTV room. The couple with the baby were fictional as far as I can tell, I think all the staff were real especially the head chef. All the events took place just as the film describes even down to the sniper taking a pot shot from the road outside. There is actual footage if you do some digging, the TIME magazine is where I got most of my info from.

Even with a role that didn’t require much, he nailed it.
The film instantly took a turn for the better when he was introduced, knowing you were going through it with a familiar face.
The act of the hotel staff doing everything they could for their guests was a noteworthy act of courage and honour. It was typical of the Russian to drink the bar dry under the circumstances.
The whole time you are watching you expect someone to become the hero especially the Russian/Head Chef/Waiter etc but then you put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself what would I do in that situation. Its also a very well made film.

Stayed in the Taj Palace Hotel just a couple of weeks before the terror attack. The England cricket team were also there.

It was shocking to hear that many of the lovely people who worked there were slaughtered. The images from TV coverage that stuck with me is of the sun beds around the pool in disarray. Having been there with lots of other people including the cricketers sunbathing, I could imagine the panic and mayhem that must have gone on.

They had already taken some precautions against a terrorist attack before our stay. Our room looked out on to the Gate of India, but view was somewhat restricted by heavy wire mesh to protect against bomb blast. Also, the drive in drop off area outside the entrance had been cordoned off by railings to stop vehicles coming close and everyone was security checked at the gates.

Wife and I very nearly got turned away from the hotel because we'd forgot to bring our passports from the place we were staying at in Pune. Fortunately, they eventually accepted our friend's assurances that we were who we said we were.

A curious coincidence is that my Grandad was in Mumbai (then Bombay) when there was a big explosion killing hundreds of people in 1944. He got a medal for bravery in moving an oil tanker out of the danger area with most of the crew ashore.

Last edited:
An excellent watch (probablys not the right words). Hopefully the heroic actions of the hotel staff didn't go unrecognised.

Started it about an hour ago. I can't remember the last film that made my heart beat this fast. I was horrified just reading the article when it happened.

Back