Hospital parking charges for staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
The initial charges werent extortionate, not justifying them. I think it was quoted as £20 or £10 paid within 14 days which is way below normal rates. However they added on huge amounts of fees to inflate the price for court by passing it round various debt collection agencies. They claim that they are different companies but instead are a small group of companies with the same directors/offices etc. Its a huge scam to make money
The two I didn't pay one of them sent dept agency letters which had the same bank and other derails as the parking company. You have to be more careful these days as they do take some drivers to court but when I got mine I told them I wasn't paying and then ignored them after that. One of them gave up easily but sent me a terse letter saying I was no longer welcome in any of their carparks. Some hardship for me that was.:lol:

The two I didn't pay one of them sent dept agency letters which had the same bank and other derails as the parking company. You have to be more careful these days as they do take some drivers to court but when I got mine I told them I wasn't paying and then ignored them after that. One of them gave up easily but sent me a terse letter saying I was no longer welcome in any of their carparks. Some hardship for me that was.:lol:
It depends entirely on the company issuing the ticket whether they go to court. ParkingEye issue approx 1000 small claims through court every month whereas others dont even bother. POFA legislation did impact on companies as they are incapabale of writing so makes following legislation a little bit more difficult.

This. I parked at the private one at Durham a couple of months ago as the main one was full. All three ticket machines were out of order and I was going in for an operation so a bit flustered. I left a note, checked again when I got back out, nowt on windscreen.

10 weeks later I get a 'parking charge' with pictures of my car , £90 or £45 if I pay now. Normally I might have ignored it and let them bring it on, but I've got enough on without a bunch of sharks chasing me and threatening court so I paid up.

Shame mate, I let them take me all the way to court. Whats worse is it costs them fk all to go through all the rigmaroll of going to court, then they don't turn up and case gets dismissed, sheer abuse of the public coffers. Absolute kernts, have a read of pepipoo.com and moneysavingexpert etc sharks, who are now in the NHS!

Shame mate, I let them take me all the way to court. Whats worse is it costs them fk all to go through all the rigmaroll of going to court, then they don't turn up and case gets dismissed, sheer abuse of the public coffers. Absolute kernts, have a read of pepipoo.com and moneysavingexpert etc sharks, who are now in the NHS!
A good trick now is to counterclaim for damages under Data Protection Act, which means that they cant cancel at the last minute and if they dont turn you might get default judgement agaisnt them. DPA stuff is a bit more difficult but it is useful to stop them wasting your time

It depends entirely on the company issuing the ticket whether they go to court. ParkingEye issue approx 1000 small claims through court every month whereas others dont even bother. POFA legislation did impact on companies as they are incapabale of writing so makes following legislation a little bit more difficult.
My first private parking invoice was from parking eye and it was them that sent me a debt collection letter. I just told them it wasn't me driving the car and they should take the matter up with the driver. I also added that I would answer no further correspondence from them. That was the end of that.

I don't get how the car parks are not part of the NHS and are ran by private firms, shame on whoever sorted that one out.

people wouldn't give a fuck as long as it was reasonable.
The two charges I got I would have paid them if they had been reasonable but they weren't.
I overstayed in a free car park that was almost empty. We had a baby with us and the wife wanted to change and feed him. It was pissing down with rain and I thought if an attendant appears I'll just drive off. I didn't realise they used cameras so I was caught. I'd have boiled my head in a bucket of vomit before handing any of my money over to scammers like that company.

paramedic used to live nextdoor & get tickets for parking on main road, but allways got them scrapped as said needed car there incase of major incident & had to get to work ASAP. (but they weren't private parking)

did they not think when ignoring these fine's,tickets etc, that someone's been employed in a job to go round giving these tickets out & they don't know where people work / have a note saying hospital worker.
Paramedics going into central London for day shifts have to pay the congestion charge.

Anywhere in the north east though? The two main bus operators in County Durham don't even have a cross-operator ticket option. It's crackers.

They have an Explorer ticket which covers most services. It's been around for years and I used one recently to get an Arriva bus to Durham and a GNE bus to the hospital.

If they couldn't charge for parking they also wouldn't provide the spaces in the first place.

Sunderland Royal would never have built the multi storey, which has made parking there so much easier, if they couldn't charge for it. If you are a hospital manager you can't justify spending money on providing parking spaces over spending that money of clinical services. If you can charge for the parking, that trade off doesn't exist and the parking may indeed provide additional revenue towards those services.

Parking charges are in any event built into Labour's PFI contracts.
It used to be free to park in hospitals and stating the obvious here, spaces were provided.

Most people struggle to get parked when they drive to work. Hospital workers or not !

Most people don't stay back after a 12.5hr shift on a weekend when public transport stopped hours ago before saving peoples lives. These people are doing just that and have already paid for the privilege to park outside work only to find they can't get parked in a car park that isn't anywhere near fit for purpose.
Why is it this company can sell something to the staff that doesn't exist?

Most people have to pay to park for work, why should people who work in hospitals be any different?

I pay £1,600 per year to park at work, and I've worked other places with free parking, I don't see why different parking rules should apply to doctors, surgeons or porters than to the rest of us mere mortals.

I think most parking should be free and state provided anyways.

On state premises like many hospitals, I don't think the staff there should pay

Patients and visitors should NEVER pay

Parking at 8pm at the start of a night shift isn't normally an issue at Hosp as all the clinics have finished. The busiest time is 8.30 -5.30 when more people visit them.

It can be a f***ing nightmare as you still have all the day team shift workers in hospital and everyone coming in to replace them trying to get in somewhere

Most people have to pay to park for work, why should people who work in hospitals be any different?

I pay £1,600 per year to park at work, and I've worked other places with free parking, I don't see why different parking rules should apply to doctors, surgeons or porters than to the rest of us mere mortals.

They do pay, they were fined for using the visitor car park after the staff one they paid for was always full

Sunderland RH is on one of the busiest bus routes in town, with the Metro a ten minute walk anarl. Nee excuse for not using public transport there like.

Maybe not, at North Tees though there are a lot of staff who cannot use public transport on a weekend after certain hours to get to and from work. This has hit those who were working in Hartlepool hardest when they closed A&E and all the medical wards closed and they shifted them to North Tees. Unless they drive or are working with someone who does they simply can't get to work using public transport on a weekend and it's even harder for those from Blackhall and Horden to get through to Stockton (or home from) on a Sunday morning for a 7/7.30am start or home after 7.30/8pm

Disgraceful that they have to pay to park where they work ffs. Absolutely disgraceful.

Whoever implemented parking fines for hospitals? Was it Blair or was it Brown? Dreadful decision, one which the Coalition, Cameron or May should really have repealed.

Did you read the article? I sympathise with your view but that particular hospital has 6,000 staff and only 1,800 parking places. Where are visitors going to park if the staff all get free parking for work?

I suppose ideally the local authority should build a large staff car park away from the hospital and run a shuttle service to and fro. A hospital park-and-ride, if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back