Hospital parking charges for staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disgraceful that they have to pay to park where they work ffs. Absolutely disgraceful.

Whoever implemented parking fines for hospitals? Was it Blair or was it Brown? Dreadful decision, one which the Coalition, Cameron or May should really have repealed.

What else should they do if people park and don't pay?

No they're owned by private companies.

So you end up in situations where you're delayed in the hospital because your Dad is distressed and you're trying to calm him back down again but secretly you're panicking about getting back to the car before the ticket runs out :neutral:

It's a shocker. I think validated parking should be instigated. You have a sick relative you get your parking validated and if you go over then it's fine.

Last edited:

I assume ex clampers have paid a fairly large sum of money for the right to fleece the punter.
I assum they pay at an amount to make a profit. For example ParkingEye made £6million profit in 2015/16 so there is money in it for them despite paying fopr the priveledge.

The only fair system for P&D car parks is pay on exit. Stick your ticket in machine, pay your money owed and then leave. Although this is unlikely to be as popular as it wont generate the money for them. There are some companies who do provide this system, not all are out to make huge profits from minor infractions

I assum they pay at an amount to make a profit. For example ParkingEye made £6million profit in 2015/16 so there is money in it for them despite paying fopr the priveledge.

The only fair system for P&D car parks is pay on exit. Stick your ticket in machine, pay your money owed and then leave. Although this is unlikely to be as popular as it wont generate the money for them. There are some companies who do provide this system, not all are out to make huge profits from minor infractions

of course they do. But the Hospital Trust (or whoever owns the land) will have got a fair whack.

A bit like the catering deal at Sunderland. Sunderland get a boatload of cash, punters get shit pasties at extortionate prices.

of course they do. But the Hospital Trust (or whoever owns the land) will have got a fair whack.

A bit like the catering deal at Sunderland. Sunderland get a boatload of cash, punters get shit pasties at extortionate prices.
There are different ways they do it. At this hospital in Wales the parking company (Indigo) paid the trust an anuual fee for a 20 year lease of the car parks to operate and rake in the monies from parking/parking charges. If a company can do it why couldnt the NHS trust?

Other companies pay for the equipment and are then allowed to keep the money from PCNs so it is in their interest to give out as many as possible otherwise they wont make any money. This is the Parking Eye model found at Sunderland Royal

There are different ways they do it. At this hospital in Wales the parking company (Indigo) paid the trust an anuual fee for a 20 year lease of the car parks to operate and rake in the monies from parking/parking charges. If a company can do it why couldnt the NHS trust?

Other companies pay for the equipment and are then allowed to keep the money from PCNs so it is in their interest to give out as many as possible otherwise they wont make any money. This is the Parking Eye model found at Sunderland Royal

The minute it becomes about money and not a facility for patients, staff and visitors then it goes wrong IMHO

Greed always fucks stuff up.

Durham and Chester le Street hospitals have this. My gastro consultant is always running late but I'm not sitting fretting about car parking while I wait.

Durham and Chester le Street hospitals have this. My gastro consultant is always running late but I'm not sitting fretting about car parking while I wait.

You can pay via app at Sunderland, which is handy for extending the time. Not that I ever pay, tend to just park on the surrounding streets.

Its the only fair way of doing it in an environment when its difficult to guess how long you will there.

Yeah read up on that and the chances are they would have left it if I ignored. However, they can and do send debt collectors and possible court action. I had photos of the machines being out of order as well. Like I said I can do without the hassle right now - me MP has been onto them like, not that that will make a difference but I felt a bit better.
I've had two of these parking invoices in the past and paid neither. I'm now wondering what sort of legal system would take money off ordinary workers on relatively low pay and give it to a multi million pound concern like this parking company. Some of them will lose their homes over this its scandalous.

You would be mental to pay in single fares though.

I use the bus every day for work (two there, two back) and it costs £89 a month. Can travel anywhere in the North East for that.

Never gonna be able to run a car for that price, although obviously there's other benefits.
Anywhere in the north east though? The two main bus operators in County Durham don't even have a cross-operator ticket option. It's crackers.

I've had two of these parking invoices in the past and paid neither. I'm now wondering what sort of legal system would take money off ordinary workers on relatively low pay and give it to a multi million pound concern like this parking company. Some of them will lose their homes over this its scandalous.
The initial charges werent extortionate, not justifying them. I think it was quoted as £20 or £10 paid within 14 days which is way below normal rates. However they added on huge amounts of fees to inflate the price for court by passing it round various debt collection agencies. They claim that they are different companies but instead are a small group of companies with the same directors/offices etc. Its a huge scam to make money

You can pay via app at Sunderland, which is handy for extending the time. Not that I ever pay, tend to just park on the surrounding streets.

We were going on an evening when Dad was in. I didn't like parking in streets in case I stopped someone parking outside their house.

Anywhere in the north east though? The two main bus operators in County Durham don't even have a cross-operator ticket option. It's crackers.

Yeah, there's the Network One option but that only covers Tyne and Wear unfortunately.

I use Go North East as it can get you pretty much anywhere north of Durham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back