Hospital parking charges for staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current charges

The following charges apply to the Darlington Memorial, Bishop Auckland and University Hospital of North Durhamhospital sites:

0 - 2 hours: £2.50
2 - 3 hours: £3.00
3 - 24 hours: £4.00

They also charge for disabled drivers too. Durham is confusing as the disabled parking is in the staff car park and there is no guidance directing the disabled there. Hence those spaces are often unused.

4 quid a day isn't bad. tbh in Bishop you can park pretty much anywhere in cockton hill, escomb road anyway

Disgraceful that they have to pay to park where they work ffs. Absolutely disgraceful.

Whoever implemented parking fines for hospitals? Was it Blair or was it Brown? Dreadful decision, one which the Coalition, Cameron or May should really have repealed.

Most people have to pay to park for work, why should people who work in hospitals be any different?

I pay £1,600 per year to park at work, and I've worked other places with free parking, I don't see why different parking rules should apply to doctors, surgeons or porters than to the rest of us mere mortals.

If the machines were out of order I'd have told them that along with a polite you can sing for your £45.

I've never seen three machines out of order at the same time and I'm a frequent user of that car park. In any case if ticket machines are all out of order then the barrier leading out of the car park is left raised, just as it currently is at the QE hospital in Gateshead.

If the barrier is not raised then speaking to the car park attendant in the car park office would be the most appropriate step to take.

Yes there is. The car park office adjoins the visitor car park. If you walk past the breast screening van, the building directly in front of you is the car park office. There is always someone there during the day. There is no need for a bloke to walk round taking photographs as there is number plate recognition as you enter or leave the car park.

This is not for the LDK private car park further down, that is for the main hospital one. I know it well, I go in there every two weeks to get my ticket authorised, for nowt if the gaffer isn't around...

What about staff who start work during office hours but who finish outside of them? Ditto for those who start work outside working hours but who leave inside? It's unworkable unless you have staff constantly moving their cars.

Not necessarily the case. At 7 or 8pm you still have visitors on site, plus two shifts of staff, the incoming and outgoing staff.

How much do staff pay for a parking permit?

I'm not sure of current charges but when my daughter first applied it was around £20-30 per month. We commented at the time that you could park for a month in the staff car park for around the same cost as for a week in the visitor car park.

If the machines were out of order I'd have told them that along with a polite you can sing for your £45.
Yeah read up on that and the chances are they would have left it if I ignored. However, they can and do send debt collectors and possible court action. I had photos of the machines being out of order as well. Like I said I can do without the hassle right now - me MP has been onto them like, not that that will make a difference but I felt a bit better.

I'm not sure of current charges but when my daughter first applied it was around £20-30 per month. We commented at the time that you could park for a month in the staff car park for around the same cost as for a week in the visitor car park.

If you get apply for a permit, visitor car parking was £10 per month in 2014. It may be more now. Compare that to £8 for 4-24 hours and it's well worth getting a permit if you're going to be there more than a couple of times a month.

I've never seen three machines out of order at the same time and I'm a frequent user of that car park. In any case if ticket machines are all out of order then the barrier leading out of the car park is left raised, just as it currently is at the QE hospital in Gateshead.

If the barrier is not raised then speaking to the car park attendant in the car park office would be the most appropriate step to take.

You're on about the wrong car park marra.

That would be an additional expense (on top of losing the current income from parking).

If it's a choice between sacking x% of nurses and providing free parking for those that are there, I know what I'd choose.

If they couldn't charge for parking they also wouldn't provide the spaces in the first place.

Sunderland Royal would never have built the multi storey, which has made parking there so much easier, if they couldn't charge for it. If you are a hospital manager you can't justify spending money on providing parking spaces over spending that money of clinical services. If you can charge for the parking, that trade off doesn't exist and the parking may indeed provide additional revenue towards those services.

Parking charges are in any event built into Labour's PFI contracts.

oh I know but most hospitals will have adequate car parking free for those who get called out at midnight or whatever
That they'll still have to pay for which was my point. I just think free parking in unsociable hours is a fair compromise.

should just offer charging during key hours of say 9-6. outside of that free parking

This. Offer workers a week free bus pass or something so they can see how easy/cheaper it is to do that. Unless you live out in the sticks then you should be able to get public transport to a hospital with relative ease.

You're on about the wrong car park marra.

I'm on about the hospital car park, which is on site with the hospital. Any other car park is not the 'hospital' car park.

It's moot anyway as I generally park in the car park adjacent to the Trust headquarters which is free.

Yes there is. The car park office adjoins the visitor car park. If you walk past the breast screening van, the building directly in front of you is the car park office. There is always someone there during the day. There is no need for a bloke to walk round taking photographs as there is number plate recognition as you enter or leave the car park.
I think the car park he is referring to is not the actual car park in hospital grounds but the one next to nursery and housing estate at the bottom if you turn right at the mini roundabout. Its ran by a private parking company and he patrols by stealth. Nowt to do with hospital

This. Offer workers a week free bus pass or something so they can see how easy/cheaper it is to do that. Unless you live out in the sticks then you should be able to get public transport to a hospital with relative ease.

The snag with that is timing. On a good day, with the wind behind you, I can get from Durham to Peterlee in about twenty minutes. On the bus it takes two buses and over an hour to do the same journey. You are adding three hours commuting to a twelve hour shift and standing round in cold, damp conditions for most of the year. Personally I prefer a car.

I think the car park he is referring to is not the actual car park in hospital grounds but the one next to nursery and housing estate at the bottom if you turn right at the mini roundabout. Its ran by a private parking company and he patrols by stealth. Nowt to do with hospital

Which is ironic as we are talking about 'hospital' parking!

I'm on about the hospital car park, which is on site with the hospital. Any other car park is not the 'hospital' car park.

It's moot anyway as I generally park in the car park adjacent to the Trust headquarters which is free.

You replied to my first post where I only mentioned the 'private' car park not the 'hospital' one.

There is no irony at all the poster merely made the point he used that car park when going to the UHND.
Wasting your time mate.
The snag with that is timing. On a good day, with the wind behind you, I can get from Durham to Peterlee in about twenty minutes. On the bus it takes two buses and over an hour to do the same journey. You are adding three hours commuting to a twelve hour shift and standing round in cold, damp conditions for most of the year. Personally I prefer a car.

Which is ironic as we are talking about 'hospital' parking!

Well I wasn't, I was talking private parking and you replied to it :lol:

You would? Public transport is expensive as fuck. £6 from Crook to Durham, it's 9 miles.

I'd tell the private firm to f***ing do one myself, no doubt they'll be some champions of the private sector to stick up for them on here.

Fuck them. Fuck them all.
Crook eh?

That figures.......a wooley back who cant afford hamsterly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back