Hospital parking charges for staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it bugger all at the end of a 12/13 hour day or night shift. With possibly another 30-minutes to an hour drive home?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...g-after-punishing-night-shifts-the-bbc-learns

As for free parking will mean city workers will just park there, I'm sure they could manage some sort of parking permit or ANPR for staff only??
Parking at 8pm at the start of a night shift isn't normally an issue at Hosp as all the clinics have finished. The busiest time is 8.30 -5.30 when more people visit them.

Bunch of chubsters should just get a bike and be a lean machine like me.

NHS is always bleating on about living a more healthy lifestyle.

Nightshifts are never going to be such an issue as you generally park on the street etc through that time as restrictions will run 9-6 or whatever.

The ones with the finest here definitely.

You get one ticket you think oh... You get 2 you think better look at some alternative parking..

To carry on is stupid ity and arrogance
I'd say nightshifts are an issue where you've got young wimen (and men) walking the streets late at night unaccompanied often around rather unsavoury areas. I wouldnt be happy with our lass wandering round hylton road at god knows what time tbh.

Actually she works at north tees which is considerably worse. I wouldn't like to walk round there during the day!

Last edited:
Just park in the streets next to the hospital.

Neebody pays any attention to those resident only parking schemes.

I usually leave a bin bag full of rubbish there as well

Just park in the streets next to the hospital.

Neebody pays any attention to those resident only parking schemes.

I usually leave a bin bag full of rubbish there as well

There's always a traffic warden checking like. The prick had a go at me for parking up at a minute to three once.

I bet County Durham has roughly the most expensive worst public transport system in the country.

It would cost me £6 a day to get the bus to work and back. It's 3 miles away.

You would be mental to pay in single fares though.

I use the bus every day for work (two there, two back) and it costs £89 a month. Can travel anywhere in the North East for that.

Never gonna be able to run a car for that price, although obviously there's other benefits.

I'd say nightshifts are an issue where you've got young wimen (and men) walking the streets late at night unaccompanied often around rather unsavoury areas. I wouldnt be happy with our lass wandering round hylton road at god knows what time tbh.

Actually she works at north tees which is considerably worse. I wouldn't like to walk round there during the day!

Not really as you would be starting at 7 or 8 in the evening and finishing 7 or 8 in the morning. Also staffing is lower so chances are you would get a hospital space

Hospital parking charges ran by private companies, another masterstroke by Labour. Piers Morgan was going mad about it this morning. Whole thing needs scrapping

Hospital parking charges ran by private companies, another masterstroke by Labour. Piers Morgan was going mad about it this morning. Whole thing needs scrapping

Tory light introduced them, Tory heavy never repealed them.

True Labour vowed to scrap them in their last manifesto. Well done Jezza. :cool:

Not really as you would be starting at 7 or 8 in the evening and finishing 7 or 8 in the morning. Also staffing is lower so chances are you would get a hospital space
People do more than just standard nightshift hours tho. Many people are on call for instance.

Car parks are empty out side of visiting/normal clinic hours, there's no reason why staff working after then visiting should have to pay to park IMO.

There isn't any 'car park people' in that car park. I've read there's a bloke waits in his own car who goes round taking the photos.

Yes there is. The car park office adjoins the visitor car park. If you walk past the breast screening van, the building directly in front of you is the car park office. There is always someone there during the day. There is no need for a bloke to walk round taking photographs as there is number plate recognition as you enter or leave the car park.

Car parks are empty out side of visiting/normal clinic hours, there's no reason why staff working after then visiting should have to pay to park IMO.

What about staff who start work during office hours but who finish outside of them? Ditto for those who start work outside working hours but who leave inside? It's unworkable unless you have staff constantly moving their cars.

Not necessarily the case. At 7 or 8pm you still have visitors on site, plus two shifts of staff, the incoming and outgoing staff.

Last edited:
What about staff who start work during office hours but who finish outside of them? Ditto for those who start work outside working hours but who leave inside? It's unworkable unless you have staff constantly moving their cars.

Aye, maybe they could pay only for the first couple of hours or last couple of hours? God knows, how much do they charge them for unlimited parking at the moment?

What will it take? Some committing suicide over the fines. Durham hospital charge luckily I can park at county hall.

Strangely enough Durham is interesting in that hospital staff have to apply for a permit to park in the staff car park. There's at least a three years, and counting, waiting list to get a permit. They also pay for the permit, but have no guarantee of a parking space.

If they use the visitors car park they pay the same rate as visitors do. Visitors who need to visit frequently during the week can pay a reduced fee. Staff can't.

Yet Trust staff working at Trust headquarters get free car parking.

This. I parked at the private one at Durham a couple of months ago as the main one was full. All three ticket machines were out of order and I was going in for an operation so a bit flustered. I left a note, checked again when I got back out, nowt on windscreen.

10 weeks later I get a 'parking charge' with pictures of my car , £90 or £45 if I pay now. Normally I might have ignored it and let them bring it on, but I've got enough on without a bunch of sharks chasing me and threatening court so I paid up.
If the machines were out of order I'd have told them that along with a polite you can sing for your £45.

Aye, maybe they could pay only for the first couple of hours or last couple of hours? God knows, how much do they charge them for unlimited parking at the moment?

Current charges

The following charges apply to the Darlington Memorial, Bishop Auckland and University Hospital of North Durhamhospital sites:

0 - 2 hours: £2.50
2 - 3 hours: £3.00
3 - 24 hours: £4.00

They also charge for disabled drivers too. Durham is confusing as the disabled parking is in the staff car park and there is no guidance directing the disabled there. Hence those spaces are often unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back