Horticulturists of the SMB

Before I start I will say that I'm clueless about plants and most either die or grow uncontrollably under my control.
We've got a brick wall in our back yard that has bricks missing for some reason (a recurring pattern - think it was popular in the 70's), and to stop people seeing into the yard I planted this ivy and something else, can't remember what. Anyway it does the job but I'm bastad sick of it and would like something a bit bonnier, if I rip it out can anyone recommend a nice climbing plant(s) that would grow relatively quickly in it's place?

Logon or register to see this image

Before I start I will say that I'm clueless about plants and most either die or grow uncontrollably under my control.
We've got a brick wall in our back yard that has bricks missing for some reason (a recurring pattern - think it was popular in the 70's), and to stop people seeing into the yard I planted this ivy and something else, can't remember what. Anyway it does the job but I'm bastad sick of it and would like something a bit bonnier, if I rip it out can anyone recommend a nice climbing plant(s) that would grow relatively quickly in it's place?

Bet there's loads of git Wass spiders living in that.
Plant some honeysuckle or clematis

Bloody hell, thats like summat from a Japanese horror movie. Respect to the birdies that dare nest next to it.

Good luck, I’d have a priest on hand when you start to attack it.

Bloody hell, thats like summat from a Japanese horror movie. Respect to the birdies that dare nest next to it.

Good luck, I’d have a priest on hand when you start to attack it.

Last year the wrens actually nested in the ivy, that's why this year I put up the bird box hoping they would go in there instead so I could cut it down. TBF I haven't seen them this year and they only thing that has gone in the box was a wasp that went for me when I tapped it.

Last year the wrens actually nested in the ivy, that's why this year I put up the bird box hoping they would go in there instead so I could cut it down. TBF I haven't seen them this year and they only thing that has gone in the box was a wasp that went for me when I tapped it.

Keep an eye on it. I had wasps building a nest in one of my bird boxes. I had to dress in long sleeves, hat, gloves and a scarf pulled up in the horse puncher style. I went out at dusk and sprayed a can of Raid into the bird box, then legged it back into the house. It got rid of them like.

Clematis is great, but you need a Montana variety, ideally Montana rubens. They grow like weeds and produce tons of flowers, but they flower in spring so most shops will have stopped selling them by now. Summer clematis are much slower growing and more difficult to keep alive.

Aldi sell them in 3 litre pots for about £8 in spring, but you might get one for £15 or so from a garden centre now. Don't bother with smaller pots than this - those £2 pots that Morrisons do are suicide plants, or at least they are when I buy them.

Keep an eye on it. I had wasps building a nest in one of my bird boxes. I had to dress in long sleeves, hat, gloves and a scarf pulled up in the horse puncher style. I went out at dusk and sprayed a can of Raid into the bird box, then legged it back into the house. It got rid of them like.
Got this great image of you as a wasp ninja

Honeysuckle good but can be Mildew probe if roots not happy/ too dry. Clematis an option but can take years to grow depending on variety. I like passiflora, grow like mad in summer and beautiful flowers. Alternatively try a bit of vertical gardening, you can buy pot holders and then bung a load of trailing lobelia or nasturtiums in them. More a summer thing though.

I'd probably invest in a decent pair of loppers

Approach it, then sit down and look at it for a bit, then open a beer, give it a few more filthy looks then put the loppers back in the shed till next year

And repeat

Back